Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spirit Airlines Pilots Strike This Morning

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilots Strike This Morning

Thursday flights now canceled.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

How long do you think Spirit can survive without flying before they have to declare Chapter 11?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Hearing reports that Spirit began furloughing flight attendants this morning.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Confirmed:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl ... 9963.story

F/A still say they continue to support the NK Pilots while still getting their notices.

Spirit flight attendants, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, have shown support for Spirit pilots on the picket lines.

"We continue to support Spirit pilots in their fight for a fair contract," Meyer said.
    I support the Pilot's, and if the F/A's support them maybe we should too, they are the ones truly, and directly being affected by this and if they have no problem with it...

Interesting to see where it goes.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

hey are the ones truly, and directly being affected by this
    You forget about the pax? Many who had to pay 4 times more to get home?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    hey are the ones truly, and directly being affected by this
    You forget about the pax? Many who had to pay 4 times more to get home?
    Speaking in regards to the NK Employees.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Confirmed:

F/A still say they continue to support the NK Pilots while still getting their notices.

Spirit flight attendants, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, have shown support for Spirit pilots on the picket lines.

"We continue to support Spirit pilots in their fight for a fair contract," Meyer said.
    I support the Pilot's, and if the F/A's support them maybe we should too, they are the ones truly, and directly being affected by this and if they have no problem with it...

Interesting to see where it goes.

Alex
    Alex I'm sorry but the pilots do not deserve the support of the consumer base. The contract offer they were given is more then fair and provides them with a very attractive raise far greater then the majority of what most American workers get each year. Simply because pilots at other airlines make more then NK's pilots doesn't mean they deserve the same amount. Take my job for example..I could make far more money if I decided to work for a similar company in Manhattan but I don't and that's my choice. The pilots at NK choose to work their and that said you accept the salary you are given. If you don't like it you leave and seek other opportunities.

Strikes and Unions no longer drive quality salaries and working environments. The American worker does by simply choosing to take their skills and moving to a company that has an attractive salary and benefits package.

Pilots among other airline employees cannot simply "pack up and go" The salary is based off seniority.

A Pilot at NK, looking at WN going oh man he is making 3K more than me is NOT nor EVER going to leave NK, go right to WN and get that 3K bump.

He has to start all over at the lower pay and lose MORE money leaving NK than he would sitting at NK.

This is not about the pay raise at all. According to the contract, the mgmt folks are asking NK Pilots to work even more hours without a higher increase of pay. The benefits are also what the NK Pilots are striking at as well.

The pay seems to be fine, it is other stuff behind the scenes, we know nothing about and should not say.

You cannot compare a Pilot job to someone else. I support the pilots as the right to strike, that is all my support comes from. I am not a pilot, nor will I ever be one because of my disability. So I don't know the goings behind it.

They have been going at it for 4 years. You claim we have to think about Customers, guess what, mgtm doesn't care about them. They care about trying to get the maximum amount of work for the lowest cost, while pilots are trying to get the maximum pay for the lowest productivity. Both sides tried to come to a conclusion, thus they have the right to strike as the law allows.

I can twist it and say, Mgmt should be concerned about their Employees and Customers too, why are the pilots being blamed too? It isn't a one way street and no one on this board can TRULY speak for the pilots and claim who is right or wrong unless you have been in the negotiations for the past four years.

As for the scab remark, it is true and unfortunate. If a pilot chose to leave and continue to fly and cross the line, forget it. He will never be hired by another Airline ever again for crossing the line. Some may argue well if they strike they will be out of a job too, also true, but..least they have a better chance of going to another airline than a scab would be.

What I don't think or agree with is those NON Union Pilots are being marked as a scab, they were not a union member they chose not to be part of it so they should have the right to do what they want without being labeled scab. Unfortunatly as mentioned, all pilots that fly for NK will be labeled as a scab, union member or not.

Alex

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Alex I'm sorry but the pilots do not deserve the support of the consumer base. The contract offer they were given is more then fair and provides them with a very attractive raise far greater then the majority of what most American workers get each year. Simply because pilots at other airlines make more then NK's pilots doesn't mean they deserve the same amount. Take my job for example..I could make far more money if I decided to work for a similar company in Manhattan but I don't and that's my choice. The pilots at NK choose to work their and that said you accept the salary you are given. If you don't like it you leave and seek other opportunities.

Strikes and Unions no longer drive quality salaries and working environments. The American worker does by simply choosing to take their skills and moving to a company that has an attractive salary and benefits package.

AMEN!

This basically covers what is going on here. The pilots at Spirit are going to take the whole airline down with them. All for what?

If you make a little less than a WN pilot THATS LIFE

You cannot compare a Pilot job to someone else
    Why not? What makes them special?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Flight attendants are supporting this because they, too are unionized. Go ask all of the hundreds non-unionized support personnel that work in the offices and at the airport too....see how they feel about the prospect of losing their jobs over strong demands.

The Spirit pilots are/were not being mistreated. Soon the airline will go under and they'll all just be out jobs wondering what happened....and they'll have done it to themselves.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

How many more days can NKS can survive like this before they shut down? Any suggestions?

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    How many more days can NKS can survive like this before they shut down? Any suggestions?

Senga
    My earlier forecasts of a quick demise may have been a bit misguided...I forgot that they were bought out by a couple of very well-heeled investment groups a couple years ago. They even turned a healthy profit of around $100 million last year, not bad for a relatively small operation.

If the investors really wanted to, they could probably afford to keep them afloat for months. Chances are they won't be nearly that patient, so I give them at most a month. After a few weeks, travelers will forget about them completely and people won't want to fly them anymore, even if the pilots go back to work. Not like they have a loyal customer base.

BREAKING: Tentative agreement reached, flights could resume on Friday.