Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Airlines Pilots Strike This Morning

Re: Spirit Airlines Pilots Strike This Morning

A Spirit pilot who posts on another website says the pilots have prepared for the for a few years & they are ready to go the route. Time will tell.

Their management is dirty & deserve to go down & yes I feel for all the good folks who will be unemployed, but I feel they will find better jobs.

Personally I hope the pilots stand their ground.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

All flights canceled till Wed. now
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Mgmt is winning the PR war, that's for sure.

The pilots say they want pay closer to AirTran and JetBlue...well, the raise offered by mgmt would put them slightly ahead of AirTran pilots. The benefits seem to be the sticking point, but no one is disclosing any details on that front.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I wonder how long they can go with canceling flights and offering $100 to each passenger.. sooner or later they are going to start running low on money I would think

$100 is a travel voucher as far as I know - but they are having to refund fares - and that is where the cash will go - and very quickly!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Your right the $100 is a travel voucher. The refunds are going to kill them

FIrst off... RK... you are an idiot... Flat out... And you clearly never worked in the airlines. Either that or you sat on the bottom of a seinority list when it was cushy to be reserve.... Second off... Spirit has been banking money for a while to survive this deal... So have the pilots though. There have been funds set up for many months..... Two scabs have flow for Falcon Air now and rumor has it a few Spirit pilots paied a visit to the Captain house after he got airborne from FLL. Good for them... And BTW... Look at Spirit's pay scale for the buses's... Than go look at AirTrans.... For the size of the metal AirTran is flying their pay is off kilter even so it wouldnt be too bad to ask for an AirTran like contract. Go Spirit pilots go... Make a stand... AirTran is planning the next strike before the summer is over. LCC's are making money hand over fist and ****ting on ALL of their staff.... Guess what... Burn the house down..... Those of you who would like to stay up to date in the airlines on your scab list..... Might I present you.... http://spiritairlinesscabs.com/
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I'm a bit confused how the pilots don't think a 30% pay raise over three years is fair? That's more then triple the national average for pay increases.. Someone please logically explain this to me please?

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Those of you who would like to stay up to date in the airlines on your scab list..... Might I present you.... http://spiritairlinesscabs.com/
    Get out of here with the scab nonsense. Going on strike does not give anyone the right to turn into Gambino toughguy.

If you want to ban picket crossers from becoming union members and such, that's fine with me. But encouraging intimidation and threats has no justification.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I'm a bit confused how the pilots don't think a 30% pay raise over three years is fair? That's more then triple the national average for pay increases.. Someone please logically explain this to me please?
    From what I've heard there's a tie up on the benefits side and pilots will be expected to work more hours.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Ryan you can't blame any body crossing the picket line. We are in the worst economy of our lifetime and some people feel feeding their kids is a little more important than a strike in the worst possible time. At this point it seems Spirit is for all purposes is done. I don't see this strike ending soon and the rage from pax is going to stick around for a long time. Spirit management will probably not budge and let the company go under and start up without the union. I hear talks are scheduled for tomorrow but something has to be done very quickly.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Two scabs have flow for Falcon Air now and rumor has it a few Spirit pilots paied a visit to the Captain house after he got airborne from FLL. Good for them/
    So the way I understand this is some Spirit pilots visited the house of the pilot while he was airborne and not home and you support this?? So I would imagine that they threatened his family or something like that cause I doubt they went over for coffee... And you say good for them?? I've never been in a union so I wouldn't know about being on strike but I don't think intimidation is the answer to any problems. Just my 2 cents....

Flat out, I think the pilots are not only wrong in this situation, but that what they are doing is inconsiderate and selfish.

Striking is something that was a great tool back when work conditions were unsafe and people were being mistreated....decades and decades ago. Now, it's used by whiny people who don't get what they want.

These pilots, who I think that first should consider themselves lucky that they have a job in this economy and industry, turn down a GREAT pay offer that would put them ahead of the airlines they compare themselves too (even though Spirit is not as "nice" of an airline as AirTran nor Jetblue).

I find their crying and pouting to be selfish because, in this striking process, they put people such as ticket agents and/or rampers and all of the other Spirit employees jobs on hold. These are people that TRULY make minimum wage and STRUGGLE to put food on the table for their families. I think that, by definition, is selfish.

I have many pilots friends, and many are awesome people, but I will NEVER support an airline strike. Striking in general needs to be stopped, and that's coming from someone who was raised in a union family.

Although I will say that in cases like when US Airways' management takes away pensions that people worked decades to earn, I'd lose my mind and I may even march with them. Striking for not paying enough is one thing, but taking away my family's long term livelihood after I have been promised it for years...fury. Somehow they didn't strike, though.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The pilots striking in this case is unreasonable. It would be one thing if Spirit had cut their pay or benefits drastically, but they put a pretty significant pay raise out on the table.

It's unfortunate, but too many people in the airline industry - namely pilots - have the mindset that they deserve these large salaries. Maybe in the past that was the case, but in this economy, it just simply isn't a reality anymore.

As a pilot, who may one day be looking for work in the airline industry (although doubtful the way things are these days), I have a personal stake in this. I would love for pilot wages to be very lucrative. I would love to have a plethora of benefits. But let's be honest; we live in a supply and demand society and our economy is a capitalist one. Flying takes a lot of schooling, costs a lot of money, but when there are too many people willing to put in the work and money to become a pilot and there aren't enough open slots for all these people, we will continue to run into these situations. It's a simple scenario: the supply is much, much greater than the demand. The problem (to me at least) is that a lot of the supply that is out there is inexperienced and in a "hole" financially (read below) that it encourages airlines to put passenger safety at risk by using this pool to cut overall costs.

Pilot groups will argue that if you don't pay well, you don't get the best talent. I think that can't be further from the truth. Under the current system what you would end up getting is the same talent pool that's just paid better. You get poor talent when companies cut corners, or hire inexperienced pilots. The industry needs reform. Congress took the first step by requiring anyone transporting paying passengers (to my understanding at least) to have an Airline Transport Pilot's certificate/rating. I think they should take it a step further and require any airline pilot to have over 1,000 hours in a multi-engine aircraft. Yes, it may ultimately raise the price of ticket fares, which would be bad for the consumer, but at the same time you won't have 1,500 hour total time guys, the majority of which was in a single engine Cessna in Florida, flying people from Newark to Buffalo in the middle of winter, which would be good for the consumer, and honestly the cost spread among the millions of travelers each year, would be minimal (maybe an extra $10-$20 a ticket). Pilots are human - we will always make mistakes; but at the same time when you are a passenger, who would you feel more comfortable: someone who paid a lot of money to get a pilot license at a school, doesn't have much if any jet experience, failed numerous checkrides, but because he's willing to work for so little has a job or someone with a lot of experience, in jets in all types of conditions around the world? Would you be willing to pay more for this is the real question...

Also, unfortunately, one of the reasons we are in this scenario is because too many people have put all their eggs in one basket. Some of this blame lies with a lot of these schools and pilot groups that keep touting some sort of miraculous massive "pilot shortage" that will be coming in the near future. Personally I don't see it happening. People will retire, people will leave the industry, and there may not be as many new students going through the whole becoming a pilot process (for the aforementioned reasons), but I think there will always be someone there to fill a job. There are too many people out there right now who took out massive college loans, and didn't major in something non-flying related, or who have no fall back plan, that have to work for pennies because it's all they can do (and granted because it's still a fun job). This as a whole exacerbates the problem and brings the profession down and is why companies are willing to cut corners.

Before you flame me on all this, I agree that loyalty, experience and seniority should be rewarded. I would be upset if these airlines were significantly cutting the salaries of some of it's more senior/experienced pilots who had been with the company for years. But in this case, no one is talking about significantly cutting wages. They are offering more, but the pilots - who are in huge supply - want even more.

Just my 2 cents though, take it for what it's worth...

I know this strike is about the pilots and their money - but - consider this - just two out of the countless thousands of stranded passengers. Airfare for two from FLL to SJU - purchased 6 weeks ago - $248 - airfare for two from MIA to SJU to get home so that they can do their job and earn money - $1,540 - ohhh...sorry - don't forget the $200 in travel vouchers for future travel on Spirit - great job! Nice way to treat the public in these times of recession.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/