Thread: SWISS Business (LX18)

SWISS Business (LX18)

On April 7th, 2010 I left Geneva to spend a few days in North America. The first step of this trip was New York but instead of flying directly I decided to spent a few hours in Zurich before flying to Newark with flight LX18, on board of a Privatair Boing 737-800 BBJ2.

Swiss 2805

This flight, operated with Swiss A320 HB-IJM, taking off at 7:40am I went to the airport at 6. After a quick check-in and a visit to the Swiss business lounge I was already on board on this flight to Zurich.

Geneva airport at sunrise.

Breakfast in business class

About 30 minutes later I arrived in Zurich for a few hours of spotting.

Swiss 18

As for every intercontinental destinations this flight to Newark Liberty Airport leave from terminal E. To reach these gates it is needed to take a subway from the main terminal.

Terminal E: Subway hall

After the passport and security checks, I arrived at gate E17 where the Boeing 737 BBJ2 registered HB-IIR was waiting.

After the quick boarding (only 23 passengers on 56 available seats because it is a 100% business class aircraft) and a few minutes of taxi we took off from runway 16. Then we passed over the airport.

And above the city

The Plateau and the Alps

This aircraft is not fitted with individual screens therefore the airline offers a video player as seen below with the aperitif.

About 45 minutes after take off the crew started to serve the first course. On 2 possible choices I selected the roast beef with mango and chili chutney, rocket, parmesan shavings and pesto vinaigrette.

Then we passed to the main course for which I selected the chicken breast filled with fresh goats' cheese, bread dumplings and caponata.

The dessert was then served: an amarena cherry and hazelnut mousse, strawberry compote and sweet basil pesto. With a Lindt chocolate and a cup of tea.

After this meal I relaxed myself, watched a film and slept a bit. During the film a Mövenpick ice cream was served.

About 1 hour and 30 minutes before landing a light meal was served. It was composed of potatoes, meat and a salad.

After that I walked a bit and took some pictures. The wing over Boston area.

The cabin seen from the back.

The wing from the window.

My seat, 5A.

Sunset light on the engine.

A view of the cockpit after landing.

This flight was outstanding, meals excellent and I hope to fly again in business class as soon as possible.
    Regards,

Romain

Visit my website: http://www.safetycardsgeneva.com

Re: SWISS Business (LX18)

Great report. It gives us an opportunity to compare LX and BA on their respective trans-atlantic biz-only flights. Please see my report on BA LCY-SNN-JFK.

Seating and cabin -- BA's seats look bigger and more spacious than LX's. Not sure if LX's seats can go full flat. BA's do. I like the fact that LX still has the flip down monitor to show flight path. On BA A-318 we don't have such info avaliable.

Food -- this is my biggest complain. BA has bascially dropped the appertiser. One go directly from salad to entree. LX's offering looks very good. The Swiss chocolate is always a nice touch.

Entertainment system -- BA's looks to have a bigger screen; and doesn't take up table space with its own handle. LX's look like a larger cell phone :-).