Thread: Delta--Vouchers, Upgrades and Swaps! Oh My!

Delta--Vouchers, Upgrades and Swaps! Oh My!

Reason for Trip: Hey Folks. I had some miles to cash on Delta, and by simply looking around random dates I stumbled across the A333 doing the repositioning flight DTW-JFK segment for the date I wanted to go. So with nothing else to do, and to sample some new planes I booked STL-DTW-JFK-MSP-STL on 4 different aircraft. Needless to say I got almost everything thrown at me, vouchers, upgrades, swaps, and as to save the best for last, we had an aircraft incident at STL when I arrived that disrupted the arrivals as well.

I showed up to STL to check in. It would not let me check in online or at the Kiosk due to my multi segment itinerary. I was not surprised by this so I continued to the ticket counter and gave them my ID. She mentioned my 6:15am flight to DTW was overbooked and they were looking for volunteers, would I be interested? I said perhaps, I am attempting to get on the A330 DTW-JFK, can you confirm me on the next STL-DTW flight (which would still get me in time connection wise). She said there are seats open and the gate agent should be able to do so. So she printed my boarding passes and told me to check in at the gate to put my name on the stand-by list.

I went through security, and let me tell you, A Concourse TSA Folks are ridiculous. They are rude, have an attitude and bark out orders as if we are military. The TSA folks at C/D and E are not even close to this way. I have a problem with them every single time I go through A Concourse.

I started to go through the line, and this TSA Agent screamed at me saying "hey you can't leave your bags on the belt you're supposed to wait until it CLEARLY goes through the machine THEN you walk through" I said "I am sorry but the agent at the metal detector waved me through" She said "haven't you flown before?!" Me "yes, only literally every other week" :-I She goes "then you should know better! carry on!"

I walked through and was like unbelievable. I grabbed my backpack and collected my stuff and walked to gate A-3. I asked the gate agent about the overbooking and he said indeed he'd like me to volunteer. I asked what the compensation would be? He said "we will offer you 400 dollar voucher to anywhere Delta and their members fly to, and a breakfast voucher and confirmed seat on the next STL-DTW flight" I asked if the next flight was also a DC-9-40 as partly why I booked this segment too was because it was a DC9-40. He looks confused but checked and said yes it is indeed a DC9-40 coming in from DTW. I thought SOLD! Double win, Voucher and another DC-9-40. So I put the name down and he said he would call me back after they finished the flight.

The 6:15am STL-DTW N755NW

After the flight left I went "spotting" and walked around a bit. Here are some pictures.

Delta Air Lines
    Flight 2572
    STL-DTW
    DC-9-40
    N759NW
    1A-First Class

I walked back to the gate as the DC9-40 pulled in from DTW.

Soon it was time to board so I boarded with those in F Class. I realized everytime I fly the DC9 with DL/NW I get upgraded to F Class. I flew MSP-STL awhile back on the DC9-30 and due to light load they moved everyone upfront.

I settled down and it was definitely NW inside everywhere. Kind of glad to see it so I took pics to enjoy it since these birds won't be around awhile.

Leg Room

The NW Logo on Bulkhead

We backed out and headed to Runway 12R and took off for DTW.

Right after take-off

We flew by a couple of airports here they are if anyone knows/recognizes them, again routing is STL-DTW

I had flown NW in F Class previously on a similair routing MSP-STL as I mentioned and was expecting a decent service, and DL didn't fail either for STL-DTW. They brought around a big basket thing with lots of food, and fruits for us to select to our liking.

I grabbed a bag of chips and candy, and had sprite in a glass of course. Much better than what AA on a similar route would offer STL-ORD, which was one bag of peanuts and coke in a glass.

Rather short leg, as expected, and soon we were turning for DTW. Flaps came out, and they put our stuff away and my quick First Class flight on Delta (my first time riding F Class on Delta by the way...) was coming to an end!

Approaching DTW

Not to far from touch down.

Video of Landing
    v6XLEwyxOuk

After a nice landing, we taxied to the gate at A and I deplaned and noticed they were already boarding for the A330 to JFK!

Delta Air Lines
    Flight 632
    DTW-JFK
    Airbus A330-200
    N857NW
    Seat 32J Coach

I booked this flight because it was supposed to be the Airbus A330-300 varient. This stayed this way until the night before when it downgraded to an A332. I was really bummed as I flew a US Airways Airbus A330-200 earlier in the week to compare to the DL A333 version. I realize it is the same plane in terms of the Airbus A330 but, it is still different and wanted to be able to claim the A333 as another aircraft I had flown on. Oh well, win some, lose some, the voucher and F Class upgrade made up for it also.

Hello infamous black dots at DTW...

My A332 sitting at the gate boarding as I snapped a quick shot before I boarded. I was in Zone One and they already were in 2 Yikes! Glad I made it.

As Delta continued boarding I took more shots of the DTW Ramp and such.

the DL 777-200LR turning to the gate to head to HKG. N705DN

We backed out and taxied to the runway passing by 2 747-400s

Interesting to hear they made an announcement, which was recorded, "Welcome aboard Northwest Airlines. Please Pay attention to the safety demonstration you are about to see on this aircraft" Something like that, then the DL music came on and their own safety video started playing. Mixing it up I see!

Taxied to the runway, waited a bit then we shot down and headed to JFK Airport!

1UQjq4qldfI
    Take Off Video at DTW.

Climbing out of DTW.

This was another short flight for me. I didn't drink or eat on the plane I kind of slept back and forth between pictures. I did play a game of bejewled. I thought it was interesting the NW IFE was free, but on DL's like the 777 I had to pay for it. Any reason why the difference?

Climbing over water.

Headed to cruising altitude and stayed there for about 30 minutes. As mentioned I slept mostly, listened to my ipod and just relaxed.

The legroom was NOT good because of the box under the seat. US Airways A332 was better for leg room in that form of comparison. I am told this is a NW thing though, not all DL flights have the box under their seats or what's up with that? Either way I am 5'5 and it was uncomfortable for me.

Soon we started the descent for JFK but it was a LONG descent, we circled for a bit then flew over JFK then turned back etc etc. It brought some cool photos ops as well. I saw a 747 circling below us, which was also cool to see as well.

Circling over JFK

Boy do these Airbus's bank! haha

Almost there!!!

We then touched down and taxied for a long time to a gate.

eN5iMvKYqF8
    Landing

We taxied for what seemed like 30 minutes until we finally reached a gate, and had to be towed in.

I got off and headed to my connection gate 23 for JFK-MSP.

Delta Air Lines
    Flight 31
    JFK-MSP
    Airbus A319
    N352NB
    Seat 14F

I got off the plane and walked from Terminal 4 to the rotunda gates or worldport, whatever they called it. I got lost big time. There's a B23, and a 23, and I couldn't find either of them.

I directed myself to B23, no MSP flight, ok must be the other 23!

Walked to the Worldport gates and such, and kept walking in circles looking and looking. I'd see 21, then 25, then 27 but no 23..WTF?! ?:-|

I walked backwards and noticed there was a "hole" if you will tucked in the corner, i looked and aha! I saw 23 at the last corner down the "hallway" Of course! :)

I saw some ex TW planes which excited me since being from STL I love seeing.

Soon we started the boarding process for JFK-MSP. Another Airbus for me, this time the baby one, A319!

I boarded and was startled to see all Blue interior like the A330, I don't know why it did, but I guess I wrongly assumed NW interior, nope. Good to see. I still cannot get over Delta and Airbus in the same color let alone sentence or anything. However it was there, had to get used to it!

Finished boarding and we taxied out to the runway. Mind you, this taxi took FOREVER, ok more like one hour. I actually fell asleep while taxing because it took so long.

As seen in the picture we had quite a line up ahead of us. What was making it bad was the hydraulics on the Airbus was really making it known and continued a LOT, the Passengers were looking up and down and confused all over trying to find an answer. I told my seatmates its just the hydraulics and it is a normal sound not to be worried.

We reached the runway and started a take off roll and I am thinking thank god, gooood bye JFK!!!

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs509.ash1/30079_1324240462894_1137330042_30783995_3910104_n. jpg

1ueZPUoJxzA
    Video of Take Off

After we climbed, we settled at cruising altitude flying over some lakes and grounds. Now I was backtracking through DTW and onward to MSP! Things we do to fly! :-D

I would sleep, then listen to music and back and forth. This flight was long enough to have BOB so I got a Snack box thing for 5 dollars. This was a plus, only one dollar cheaper than United's BOB and pretty much the same thing inside. I loved the food selection in the BOB so it was quite good and tasty. I kept leftovers for my next flight leaving MSP-STL.

We crossed over some lakes and states it was a pretty uneventful flight and not bad at all.

We started our descent into MSP, it was a smooth descent but at one time though, he was really nose down almost, not dramatically but you could definitely sense it.

Flaps out.

PpImJDrBWCQ
    Video of Landing into MSP.

We landed and taxied to the gate.

Delta Connection/Compass
    Flight 5731
    E-175
    MSP-STL
    N634CZ
    Seat 14A

We boarded and got started quickly. This flight was a touch bit delayed but nothing big. This was once again all NW, colors, interior everything.

I was excited to ride the E175 for the first time ever!

The window here for me is quite high. I had to "sit up" and lean in to look out the window. Awful confguration, it seemed most windows were misaligned.

We backed out of the gate and started to head to the runway, We had to stop and sit for ATC flow out of MSP.

We took off for STL finally, last leg down!
    1SsmtgrNflo

Skimming the clouds!

Service was done, peanuts and drink, typical service but not bad! I listened to music and just relaxed until we landed.

Finally we started our descent into STL meandering around the city.

Last light of the day!

We went through the clouds and approached STL. This is when it got interesting it felt like we were circling but I couldn't tell. Then an announcement came on saying there was an incident on the runway. I had no idea what to expect or what was going on.

We came in on 12L and immediatly I saw flashing lights to my right, from cops and fire trucks and emergency vehicles. I looked closely to see a US Airways 737-300 sitting on the runway surrounded.

I got a txt immediatly from someone at STL who knew I was flying in saying the US 733 had some issues landed on 12R and blew a tire or two. Wow! Thats gonna mess up some arrivals, so all arrivals were on 12L now or 11 (most likely if you were going to A Concourse).

I did try to figure why US wasn't on 11, they always land on 11 when winds are going East. Then I realized based on the text whatever the issue was, US wanted to land on the longest runway at STL which was not 11, but was 12R/30L. That is why we saw US sitting on 12R after the tire burst.

After that we taxied down the runway, turned right, then taxied inbetween 30L/R because we couldn't taxi over 30L/12R. We went around 30L/12R and then taxied to the A Concourse. Quite the deviation!

This morning I went back to the airport to find the US Jet and found it sitting in the cargo area near the East Terminal/Terminal 2 by 30L.

That completed my 4 segments on Delta Air Lines!

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Re: Delta--Vouchers, Upgrades and Swaps! Oh My!

Very nice report, Alex! Did you get the reg off of the US B734?
    Adam Sheinhaus

Quote Originally Posted by adscram14
    Very nice report, Alex! Did you get the reg off of the US B734?
    Thanks for reading! It was a 737-300 actually and no, I haven't heard back yet on the registration on the plane.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Alex, very nice TR, photo's, and video's, thanks for sharing, now a couple of coments, in reverse order.

The US 734 (way to long to be a 733) was N453UW. It ferried to CLT around 1700 the next day for repairs to the nose landing gear doors, not sure exactly what happened but it was an emergency landing.

And speaking of US you need to do a TR for your US A-330-200 ride, still have not gone for a ride on one yet, hopefully soon.

The window misalingment on the E-175 is comon on all of the E-170/190 family. At US our E-175's are all coach, and the first 5 or 6 rows are alligned with the windows pretty well, after that frustrating. The E-190 first class cabin is miss-alligned badly, probably about 4 or 5 scattered rows in coach that are pretty good, the rest are not. I think the way these aircraft are designed to have a good allignement they could only seat about 50 passengers (E-170) 65 (E-190) and have an awesome pitch. Back in the old days the DC-8 family was much worse, the space between the windows was so wide some rows had no window view whatsoever.

Anyway looked like a very successful day trip, to bad the agent in STL who upgraded you did not do the DTW-JFK leg as well, that would have been sweet !

Looking forward to the US A-330-200 TR.

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    Alex, very nice TR, photo's, and video's, thanks for sharing, now a couple of coments, in reverse order.

The US 734 (way to long to be a 733) was N453UW. It ferried to CLT around 1700 the next day for repairs to the nose landing gear doors, not sure exactly what happened but it was an emergency landing.

And speaking of US you need to do a TR for your US A-330-200 ride, still have not gone for a ride on one yet, hopefully soon.

The window misalingment on the E-175 is comon on all of the E-170/190 family. At US our E-175's are all coach, and the first 5 or 6 rows are alligned with the windows pretty well, after that frustrating. The E-190 first class cabin is miss-alligned badly, probably about 4 or 5 scattered rows in coach that are pretty good, the rest are not. I think the way these aircraft are designed to have a good allignement they could only seat about 50 passengers (E-170) 65 (E-190) and have an awesome pitch. Back in the old days the DC-8 family was much worse, the space between the windows was so wide some rows had no window view whatsoever.

Anyway looked like a very successful day trip, to bad the agent in STL who upgraded you did not do the DTW-JFK leg as well, that would have been sweet !

Looking forward to the US A-330-200 TR.

LGA777
    No Kidding? Flight Aware showed it as a -300 which is why I was confused because US Airways showed it as a 737-400. Being it was dark I couldn't see the plane really well. Thanks for letting us know.

I was kinda glad he didn't upgrade me because I wanted to sit behind the wing on the A330 for pictures and videos and such, I love seeing the wings at work! haha

I had QUITE the adventure with US, I ran into cops or FBI or something in SAN when I did that trip trying to find out why I was flying and not stopping anywhere hahaha.

I'll probably work on it sometimes in the next week or so when I have time as well.

Alex