Thread: American Airlines Breaks Bikes

American Airlines Breaks Bikes

NYCAviation:
    :arrow: American Airlines Breaks Bikes
    What recourse do you have when an airline destroys your $1,800 bicycle and screws up your long-planned vacation? According to American Airlines, nothing.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: American Airlines Breaks Bikes

Yikes. would never trust checking something like that. What a shame. What is AA's policy on something like that?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

The one thing Richard neglected to read was the cargo liability, this isn't considered baggage so it doesn't fall under the same protections as your suitcase. Cargo has different liability and if no declared value was stated or insurance taken out the carrier may only be responsible if at all for a very small amount. Even with UPS similar things apply... As an example my company ships $30,000 digital sensors out every day and depending on where and how UPS destroys them (most times they don’t) we often only see a $100 recovery. Believe or not it’s cheaper for us to lose the 29K and replace the unit then to take out insurance on each of these shipments.

Now American like United with the guitars should have shown some goodwill and replaced the bike, providing Richard was able to prove his destroyed bike was worth $1800. In today's "Youtube" world it’s very easy to get your negative message out about a company. Richard should have called me...I have Arpey's direct line in Dallas. ;)

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Thanks for clarifying Tommy. AA should have paid for at least half or something, the negative publicity just isn't worth it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Tom, like most folks here, no one here reads the fine print.

Let me clarify, the majority of Americans read their baggage claim liability, nevermind the cargo liability, until AFTER a problem occurs.

With such a piece of checked luggage, perhaps the GA checking this man in should have reminded him of hte liability. Such a small step could have yielded a different result regardless the outcome.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

There are some conflicting liability rules, and it's hard to say which one should take precedence, but no matter what the circumstances, the liability is certainly more than $0, which is what he's gotten so far.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Tom, like most folks here, no one here reads the fine print.

Let me clarify, the majority of Americans read their baggage claim liability, nevermind the cargo liability, until AFTER a problem occurs.

With such a piece of checked luggage, perhaps the GA checking this man in should have reminded him of hte liability. Such a small step could have yielded a different result regardless the outcome.

Mario the burden of disclosure does not rely on the company to verbally "remind" you of your liability, fine print is there for a reason. That's like saying "oh I didn't read my mortgage agreement and didn't know if you stop paying you take my house." Ignorance of a contract is not a defense and any service agreement you enter into does place certain risk and liability on one self. Proper due diligence on your part is required to ensure you protect yourself and your possessions. If you ship something of value you should take the proper steps to ensure you insure yourself of any exposure.

There are some conflicting liability rules, and it's hard to say which one should take precedence, but no matter what the circumstances, the liability is certainly more than $0, which is what he's gotten so far.
    Matt it’s very clear the liability..... Bikes are recreational and considered sports equipment. By the looks of the picture the item was in a cardboard box. Even if it was a "bikebox."

American assumes no liability for musical instruments/recreational/sports items not presented in a hard-sided case.
    I'm sure some pushing AMR will show some good will. Richard may want to email Steve Case....he might be able to assist ;)

American really dropped the ball on this one. If one of the ramp trucks did run over the bike, intentionally or accidentally, the right thing to do would have been to reimburse the owner. That said, I don't think the negative publicity will have much impact on future sales. When someone is ready to book a flight, more often than not they will book the cheapest flight whether it's AA, UA or another carrier. Hopefully, the negative publicity will "force" AA to pay up like UA did in the guitar incident.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!