Thread: New AT&T Data Plans - No More Unlimited Data for New Users

New AT&T Data Plans - No More Unlimited Data for New Users

For all you tech and iPhone junkies, AT&T revamped their new data plans ahead of the hotly anticipated launch for the new iPhone. They go into effect June 7th. Basically the new plan goes like this:

*$15/month for 200MB of data.
    *$25/month for 2GB of data.
    *No more unlimited option for $30/month, but if you have it already, it can be grandfathered in.
    *No more option for unlimited iPad data for $30/month, but this can also be grandfathered in.
    *Tethering is an additional $20/month and the cap remains the same. And if you choose the tethering option while you already have the unlimited plan, you have to switch to one of the capped plans.
    *You can switch from the $15 to the $25 plan and vice versa on a month to month basis.

I don't have AT&T, so this doesn't affect me. I was also seriously considering switching over when the new iPhone comes out later this month, but I'm going to balk now because I would be affected by the new rates as a potential new customer. AT&T says that 60% of users use less than 200MB per month anyways (and that 98% of users use less than 2GB), but I find that hard to believe. Video and music streaming, emailing with attachments, web page viewing, etc. all add up. This will especially be an issue when the new phones (like the new iPhone) come out and they have video conference capabilities. Customers will surpass 2GB within no time. AT&T claims that they're making smartphones more affordable by dropping their rates (and hence limiting their data), but customers will soon freak out when they see their bills and all the overage charges that accumulate, especially if they're on the lower tier plan. So AT&T's claim is disingenuous. The worst is the tethering charge, which other carriers offer for much less (or even free in some cases). That's just a rip-off. I also feel bad for those iPad 3G users who were promised an unlimited plan only to have it change a month later (if you buy it after Monday).

Personally, I'm against this and I think it will bite AT&T in the ass in the future, especially with other and potentially more capable phones being offered on other more affordable networks. While I think it's a good idea to offer customers several options, especially to those who don't use that much data, getting rid of the unlimited option and putting a low data cap will drive a lot of customers away and stifle innovation. AT&T moans that they need price a "limited commodity" accordingly, but they have the only carrier complaining and the only carrier that has severe network problems. I have never heard of Verizon, Sprint or tMobile complain over users using too much data. Maybe because they actually invested in their network instead of nickling and diming customers. AT&T customer service is now ranked last.

As for now, Sprint, Verizon and tMobile are the only major carriers offering unlimited wireless data. Verizon is rumored to change to a new tired-pricing system later in the year and they usually follow whatever pricing model AT&T has. There are also rumors of Verizon getting their own version of the iPhone, but both Verizon and Apple said that's not going to happen anytime soon. Sprint and tMobile have said they won't change their plans.

Your thoughts?

Re: New AT&T Data Plans - No More Unlimited Data for New Users

I have an iPhone and I use the internet a lot on it. I've never exceeded 1GB so I'm not really worried. Plus I'm grandfathered in since I already have unlimited.

I'm not sure its going to hurt them too much since the casual user might only need 200MB therefore saving $15 a month if they were to get unlimited under the old rules.

I don't agree with the tethering charge.

Maybe I'm just not tech savvy but what is tethering?

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Maybe I'm just not tech savvy but what is tethering?
    I can get my pc online with iPhone

Look at my data for this month

:shock:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i have a blackberry with t-mobile and for the longest was looking into data service to use with my computer when i'm either on the road or need to get weather when i'm away from the hangar. since upgrading to a 3G blackberry (with unlimited internet) i've jsut tossed the idea and hook up my computer to my phone whenever i need it. i've been able to stream movies from netflix while sitting in my truck waiting for my gf to finish shopping.. and pandora works perfectly while driving anf ollowing google maps to get me to udvar hazy. the at&t debacle looks like just another mess caused by corporate greed to me.

my brother had been looking into at&t service for himself on his iphone and his gf oh her iphone and ipad. not anymore.... shame.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Derf: If you switch to the new plan, you're screwed! Have you ever gotten any warnings on data usage from AT&T?

Cancidas: What BB model do you have? I had no idea that BBs were capable of tethering because they're usually a step or two behind the android and other phones. Did you have yours jailbroken? Other than that, yeah, it's corporate greed. AT&T has the worst 3G network of the four major carriers and they make the most profit solely because of the iPhone. Yet they refuse to reinvest any of this profit to improve their network. With a corporate mentality like that, no wonder we're so far behind in terms of cell phone and internet data speeds and capacity compared to most other countries. No incentive for them to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks
    Derf: If you switch to the new plan, you're screwed! Have you ever gotten any warnings on data usage from AT&T?.......
    Negitive, it is not Verizon..... their Unlimited is limited to 3GB
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks
    Cancidas: What BB model do you have? I had no idea that BBs were capable of tethering because they're usually a step or two behind the android and other phones. Did you have yours jailbroken? Other than that, yeah, it's corporate greed. AT&T has the worst 3G network of the four major carriers and they make the most profit solely because of the iPhone. Yet they refuse to reinvest any of this profit to improve their network. With a corporate mentality like that, no wonder we're so far behind in terms of cell phone and internet data speeds and capacity compared to most other countries. No incentive for them to improve.
    i have the bold 9700. even before that i had the curve 8900. tethering is possible via bluetooth but i just use the usb cable and the bb desktop software.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Hey was that 98% of users who consume less then 2 gigs because they simply can't get a damn 3G signal from AT&T? LOLOL Sorry but I'll never switch to AT&T or the iPhone...Android is far superior and with Android 2.2 coming out this summer the Google OS is still faster then Apple's new iPhone OS.

Just in time for the Netflix app. AT&T ain't dumb.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Hey was that 98% of users who consume less then 2 gigs because they simply can't get a damn 3G signal from AT&T? LOLOL Sorry but I'll never switch to AT&T or the iPhone...Android is far superior and with Android 2.2 coming out this summer the Google OS is still faster then Apple's new iPhone OS.
    While I agree with the Droid being better, they do not have any apps worth it. I have so many apps I use but everyone fights over my phone and not my wifes

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    While I agree with the Droid being better, they do not have any apps worth it. I have so many apps I use but everyone fights over my phone and not my wifes

See now fried that is an opinion based statement that is totally not true.... In fact most of the same apps on iPhone are now out for Droid. I'll let you touch my HTC Incredible if you wish ;)

I'll let you touch my HTC Incredible if you wish ;)
    Hey, hey, hey, watch that - we have some young kids on this forum... :D

I think Android is overrated and not so easy of an OS to use compared to WebOS on Palm and the iPhone's OS. Granted, HTC has made Android more tolerable with their own customized interface. This is especially apparent with the HTC EVO, which is a killer device. I don't know what phone you have, Tommy, but if you compare an HTC Android phone like the EVO or Incredible to the Droid, which is standard Android, it's a world of difference. Droid was not that good of a phone.

Regardless, this new iPhone is a game changer with multitasking (as tacky as Apple implemented it) and vastly improved hardware. Unfortunately, AT&T totally hinders this device from its full potential with it's crappy network and new stupid data plans.

Another problem with Android is that it's too fragmented. Most Android phones don't even have the 2.X software and the 1.X software is just awful. And developers have complained that it's not easy developing for Android because of all the different versions. Google really needs to take a more unified and controlled approach when it comes to software releases. Otherwise, it's going to end up with WinMobile. And because of this, Android apps really aren't so great compared to the same iPhone ones. Sure, iPhone has a lot of **** apps, but Google Market is the same. Android phones can't even play 3D games yet Palm and iPhone games do. For phones with such incredible hardware, that's unacceptable. Supposedly, it'll change with the new 2.2 coming out.

Speaking of the "98%", I think that's bogus and want to see proof other than some lame press release. I bet they're including Blackberry users of their network because the crappy browser views things in such basic form that it barely downloads anything.

I don't know what phone you have, Tommy
    Did you didn't read the post ;)