Thread: Speedbird 003, LCY - SNN- JFK

Speedbird 003, LCY - SNN- JFK

The highlight of my trip report will be the Speedbird 003 from LCY to JFK. But first, a quick story about my JFK - ZRH and ZRH - LCY flights.

JFK - ZRH was on AA 767-300. I was hoping for one with winglet, but it's just a normal 763. It was raining hard in JFK and most of the flight was in the dark, so no photo at all. I had 4J in the business cabin. The interior was the 777 style bins. The seat was comfortable; I had a quick bite and slept for about 4 1/2 hours. AA's international service compares favorably to BA's service I would see later on; and the food was good and with bigger portion.

ZRH - LCY was on LX ARJ. We departed from Terminal B. The airport has about 6 gates devoted to UK flights for LCY, LHR, MAN, BHX. The seating area was rather shabby. We took the bus to the plane.

The plane was half full. I seated at 5F and had the 3-seat section all to myself. The service was just drinks but had the nice touch of having Swiss chocolate at the end of the service. Landing was on LCY 9. Here are some photos:
    Taking off from ZRH:

Over Canary Wharf on approach to LCY

Millennium Dome from the air

Sppedbird 003 LCY - SNN - JFK
    The JFK flight from LCY gets special treatment. There was an agent waiting at the check-in area to direct the JFK passengers directly to the next available counter, skipping the line. There is a special line at the security check for JFK passengers, too. JFK flight leaves from gate 24, which is one of the furthest gate at LCY. The gate area has leather sofa and a small stand with drinks and snacks. It's BA's attempt to make the gate area look a bit like their Terrace Lounge.

We had only 17 passengers for this flight. We just leisurely walked to the plane after they opened the gate. I had seat 6A and the seat next to me was empty. Here are some photos of the interior.

The cloth hanger was removed before the take off. With a very light load, everything was ready 10 min before the scheduled departure time. We took off on RWY 27 and the A-318 leaped off the ground using only half of the runway. The flight to SNN took about 1 1/2 hour. There was a simply drink and snack service. The is the view of the cabin.

As you can see, it's very spacious and quite; particularly when the plane is half empty, one has plenty of room to relax.

SNN was a relatively big airport but it was empty when we arrived. The number of airport agents, security personnel, US custom officials probably out numbered us 17 passengers. For the passengers with checked baggage, we had to wait a bit longer for the baggage to be inspected. Altogether, it took about 45 min from docking at the gate to pushing off the gate. We then took a long way to taxi to the head of the runway. One peculiar plane parked at SNN is a broker 727-100.

Other planes spotted include a 727-200 in IB color, FlyGlobeSpan 767-300 and a 737 with winglet and "Midwest Airlines" title on the red fuselage. We had to wait a Ryanair 738 to land first before took off. This time, we used significantly longer runway to take off.

I took off my shoes and put them in front of my seat before taking off. The flight attendant saw it and asked if she could stow it in the overhead bin for me. I felt un-easy as I didn't want to ask a lady that's much senior than me do pick up my shoes. So I did it myself. I suppose it's part of the more attentive service.

Once in air, the flight attendant first took out the personal entertainment system and installed it for each passenger.
    BA also offers internet connectivity onboard the A-318. I didn't have a PC and my blackberry didn't make a connection to the onboard network. The the drink and meal service began. The meal was served course by course. I had the ramp of lamb, which was quite tasty.

I watched 2 movies and took a nap after diner. The flight was very smooth. Here is a photo from my seat --

About 1:15 hr before landing, a substantial snack of sandwich, fried cheese and chicken was served. I wasn't too hungry and didn't finish it. The chicken was too dry for my taste.

We began our descent over northern Mass. Here is a shot of the Newport RI, area; which the Newport Bridge clearly visible.

We landed on JFK 22L, passed the long line of planes waiting for take off on 22R and parked at the BA gate about 45 min ahead of the schedule.

Overall, I enjoyed the LCY - JFK service. It is indeed very convenient for people working in London's financial district. It's much easier for BA to give high priority to BA1 and BA3 than it could in LHR. The SNN stop over was not a problem. The emptiness of SNN contributes to a sense of exclusivity. The A-318 felt like a large biz jet when half full. I suppose it will feel like a regular business class cabin if it's fully occupied. I am a loyal AAdvantage member. I could take a regular AA flight out of LHR but I chose BA3 instead. One reason was I want to experience this new service. The other was the last time I did LHR-JFK, it was soon after the Xmas bombing of the DL flight; every passenger was subject to extensive search at the gate. This caused about 1 1/2 hour delay. There was no relief for even the ones seated in first or biz. I am so glad to have a much civilized and convenient Atlantic crossing this time.

Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Re: Speedbird 003, LCY - SNN- JFK

Great report and excellent photos...some of the best in-flight meal pics I've seen. What setup you using there?

SNN is a great airport. I used to go through there almost weekly for work, and there were special visitors there constantly.

Thanks for sharing!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I wonder if you can ID-90 that flight. Have to do some research now.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by seahawks7757
    I wonder if you can ID-90 that flight. Have to do some research now.
    I'm pretty sure I read when it was introduced that they weren't permitting any pass-type passengers, but you might want to confirm that.

Great report. I find it interesting that the IFE is the Archos 705 portable media player with a dock.

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    Great report. I find it interesting that the IFE is the Archos 705 portable media player with a dock.

Wow...good eye. I have one of those and didnt catch it from the picture.

Matt, you cannot ID90 on that flight. US Airways employees have a year round travel embargo on that flight.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"