Thread: ACARS Decoder

ACARS Decoder

All-
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but what is the best ACARS decoder to use? I use acarsd's online tool, but it's not 100% reliable/accurate.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Re: ACARS Decoder

Hi,
    I use Acarsd Client program. I would suggested downloading the Client as it is much better than the online feed as your computer is actively getting information.
    http://acarsd.org/download.html

There are ACARSD Release Candidates out there but they are in perpetual test mode. 1.65 was the last official" release
    Senga

Thanks for the response, Senga. For the download version, would I need a rado scanner because I just use my dad's iPhone for ATC.
    Adam Sheinhaus

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

You definitely need a scanner. Using the appropriate freqs, all you'll hear are chirps and beeps. The decoder will extract the info from those chirps. You'll need an air band scanner, a jack to connect the scanner's headphone port to your pc's line in port, and an antenna free and clear of interference (like on a rooftop or suction cupped to a window like I've got).
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

You have one you'd reccomend?
    Adam Sheinhaus

To back up what Kenny was suggesting. I would suggest at least two scanners. Depending on your area. For the NYC area you would need three scanners to really cover this area. But if you can get two that should work out ok. My set up has me monitoring three frequencies and I rarely miss anything. Really any scanner will do. The antenna is more important but the biggest factor is getting the the antenna high enough and as much space around it as you can and get out out of the house if you can. That will provide you a chance to get as many transmissions as possible. Also make listen to hear the frequency is "clean"- Meaning there is not a lot of radio interference. Lots of noise on the frequencies can kill your ability to receive the transmissions or reduce the number significantly.

Senga

Program Coordinator

Well, let's say I want to specifically track EVA26 but won't have time to make it down to the airport once it enters Seattle airspace - how would I track that if at all?

Um if you have the tail numbers you can track it that way. I was able to track the prince 744 for quite a few hours before it entered US Air Space.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Program Coordinator

Maybe I'm just not getting how it works.

Here's a diagram,
    I added the "Acars Client"
    I have picked transmissions up to 200 miles away however most are within 120 miles or so. With your stand alone decoder there isn't much time to get to the airport unless you live within 20 minutes away and you have to be on that flight with the first transmission. If anything just go get the departure.

and where is Senga B located in that diagram?

Think of it as recording a song of a radio station, putting it through special software, and viewing the embedded data.

ACARS is emitted by commercial aircraft, recorded and decoded and the messages are viewed.

If you can hear regular air traffic you should be able to get some ACARS data.

If I tune to 131.475 here at CYOW I'll here loads of noise and squawking. If I record this and shove it through the software I can see what a CYOW-CYYZ flight has to say.