Page 114 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 3308

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

A few from today's flybys

AAM's P-47 Thunderbolt

Spitfire

And the Lancaster
    Last edited by fk6065; 2010-09-06 at 06:01 PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

What a great day at the AAM. Here are some pictures of our distinguished guests:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Around 3:05 here comes the Lancaster turning over Tobay Beach and heading south along the shoreline before disappearing from sight. That was a bonus to see them again. Were they heading home? I thought they were based in Ontario? Maybe doing a little sightseeing before heading North?
    Great job guys.
    On Facebook, Flight Engineer Craig Brookhouse confirmed what i was thinking they might have been doing. They headed down to the Harbor then up the Hudson to give the city a farewell salute and thanks before heading to the Great White North!! Once again THANKS that was just an awesome display of airpower today!!!

AWESOME shots everyone !!
    I had a great time at the AAM today watching the all flyovers by the Spitfire, Lancaster and Thunderbolt also!!
    Tom Duffy's BEAUTIFUL Spitfire Mk IX is just an AMAZING aircraft and it does look like it came straight from the factory !!
    Great job once again by the AAM organizing this special Battle of Britain Celebration weekend at FRG !!

A few from Sunday night

Last edited by fk6065; 2010-09-06 at 10:39 PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

The front office of the Lancaster. It was a designed and operated as a single-pilot aircraft during WWII, however, for civilian certification, they added a second set of controls and seat.

Tom doesn't have a lot of time in the Spit, so he wasn't comfortable in close. That didn't make for great 3-ship photos, but I made do...

Later in the afternoon, the museum launched their B-25.

One of the more poignant moments of the weekend. Tom Duffy is talking with the sister of Robert Minnick. Minnick was a Long Island native, who joined the RCAF in 1940, and was trained as a pilot. In August 1941, Minnick was killed in Scotland while training to fly the Spitfire. He was the first Long Island resident to be lost in WWII. Among his effects, his pilot's log was returned to his sister, however she never really knew what all the entries meant. When she heard there was going to be a Spitfire at the museum, she and her son came down to see it and the pilot. Tom spent some time explaining the entries, telling her about the types of aircraft and missions her brother flew during training. She was absolutely thrilled to see the aircraft, talk to Tom, and learn more about her brother, nearly 70 years after his death.

Note to self: When I say "I'll only be there for an hour, I don't need sunscreen," I'm lying.

If I owned a plane that cost three million dollars, I wouldn't let someone else fuel it, either.

One of those cuss-word inducing intrusions, but I kinda like it anyway.

The rest at http://dfalk.smugmug.com/Airplanes/A...97662542_gdqBB

All in all, an excellent program put on by the museum and an extremely fun few days of aircraft and history awesomeness. I'm moving up to Connecticut at the end of the week, so sadly I won't be able to jet on over to FRG on a moment's notice when something cool shows up. But I couldn't think of a better way to spend my last weekend on LI!
    Last edited by GrummanFan; 2010-09-07 at 12:18 AM.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

This event was a big let down after all the hype. ALL the info that was presented in the ensuing days stated that the ceremony would take place Sunday at Noon with the memorial flight as part of it. I purposedly moved things around to attend Sunday to see the Lanc and Spit fly, as it was stated that Sunday was the day and 'maybe' they might fly on Monday. What happened then? Why could the Lanc not have been positioned outside the fence until the 1200 flight, and then brought inside for people to tour it? There was an announcement made that it would fly on Sunday, I hung around all day but the flight never materialized. I kept asking every volunteer I could find for an update but no one was given any info.

I left disappointed. I guess to see a Lanc and Spit fly I'll need to go back to the UK? (or Canada at least)

Sorry you were disappointed, ch2tdriver, but they were fighting windy conditions (especially cross-winds) all day Saturday and Sunday. That is the reason why the Spit didn't arrive until Sunday morning (it was scheduled for Saturday with the Lanc) and it put a damper on flight operations all weekend. With its narrow-track landing gear, the Spit is a handful in crosswinds, and I can understand Tom being especially careful. In talking with the Lancaster crew, their arrival on Saturday was a bit sporting, and they too wanted to exercise caution. The hope was to have both aircraft fly on Sunday, but the winds did not cooperate. The reason you weren't able to get an update from the museum volunteers was that the situation was fluid, and every attempt was made to fly the aircraft on Sunday. If anything, the flight crews were more disappointed than you that they were unable to fly on Sunday.

Unfortunately, that is part of the reality when you are dealing with 70 year old airplanes.

That's really nice work, Dan! I love your perspective on things, and that first C-47 shot is some of the best panning work I've seen! Sorry to see you leaving the Island, but good luck up in CT, and I hope to bump into you now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    .........Dan! I love your perspective on things, and that first C-47 shot is some of the best panning work I've seen!............
    Actually I would say that is the past panning work I have seen! NICE, VERY NICE!!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Here are two from yesterday's takeoff:

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Sorry you were disappointed, ch2tdriver, but they were fighting windy conditions (especially cross-winds) all day Saturday and Sunday. That is the reason why the Spit didn't arrive until Sunday morning (it was scheduled for Saturday with the Lanc) and it put a damper on flight operations all weekend. With its narrow-track landing gear, the Spit is a handful in crosswinds, and I can understand Tom being especially careful. In talking with the Lancaster crew, their arrival on Saturday was a bit sporting, and they too wanted to exercise caution. The hope was to have both aircraft fly on Sunday, but the winds did not cooperate. The reason you weren't able to get an update from the museum volunteers was that the situation was fluid, and every attempt was made to fly the aircraft on Sunday. If anything, the flight crews were more disappointed than you that they were unable to fly on Sunday.

Unfortunately, that is part of the reality when you are dealing with 70 year old airplanes.
    I can fully appreciate that, regarding the winds and operations. However the museum could have done a much better job of keeping people informed of this. Not once was the weather as a factor mentioned. If on the PA it was mentioned "Folks we're keeping an eye on the wind situation today.....as of now it is a factor.....don't want to risk these planes.....etc.." I would have kept the band on my wrist, left early, tried to salvage my day and come back the following afternoon. As it was I hung around in hopes that they would fly, as there was a brief reference that the Lanc would, when they were offering a ride opp for $2 grand.

Moose BTW nice to meet you Saturday...I was the one with Eric H.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    A few more:

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    I can fully appreciate that, regarding the winds and operations. However the museum could have done a much better job of keeping people informed of this. Not once was the weather as a factor mentioned.
    The AAM was updating their plans on their Facebook page and as of Sat night they werent sure about flying on Sunday because of the weather. I also like that if you become a "fan" of their page they will answer your questions, follow up on comments and allow you to post pictures.