Page 59 of 221 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008/2009

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    I was listening to liveatc.net and another USCG helicopter came at 12AM I wonder what they are doing so late.
    heard through the grapevine that there were two USCG birds and NYPD ASR helos searching the atlantic for a lost para-glider that developed engine trouble and may have gone down in the atleantic near the NY harbor.
    Mmmm, same guy that buzzed JFK recently?
    Also with the high surf and riptides from Hurricane Bill maybe the CG moved some ships down here for faster on-call SAR.

Another oldtimer visited FRG today. There was a 1947 Grumman G-73 Mallard parked by the Main Terminal this afternoon. The three man "crew" dressed casually in T-shirts, shorts and sandals chatted and joked with the two Fire-Rescue guys before they climbed aboard. They cranked up the engines and taxied down to 1-9 before heading out around 3:45. They were going towards Bridgeport.
    I'll have pics up on Facebook later.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    And some from tonight

You suck, Fred, you know that? :D

Nice shots Fred.

Was that part of the "meetup" group that was there?
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

The Girls were part of the photo meetup group that rented out the AAM for a photoshoot. I know Moose..... That is why I have to take so many pictures..... 8) If you take as many shots as I do, you would have to take a few good ones by mistake. :lol:

A few more

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

The Direct TV airship is back at FRG. I would guess for the Yankee game tomorrow night on ESPN. Game starts at 7 so maybe they'll launch 6PM or so?

US Open tennis starts next week, it may be around for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    US Open tennis starts next week, it may be around for that as well.
    The first round of the Barclay's at Liberty National starts Thursday. Its the first round of the PGA Tour Fedex Cup. Its in Jersey City on the Hudson. Beautiful course.

http://www.libertynationalgc.com/barclays/

Saw her over midtown yesterday, heading downtown, approximately over 6th Ave. Seemed a bit low for that area. Managed to whip out a shot from my desk.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I was coming back from the beach today and on Hempstead Tpk just east of 135 and decided to do a quick run by FRG. I saw Direct TV 1 north of me heading towards FRG about 3:40. He was moving pretty fast so I figured he would beat me in. Guess not. For whatever reason the ground crew was still at the hotel so DTV1 had to loiter north of FRG until they got there. Finally came in around 4:10 with a right break onto the numbers of 3-2. The crew grabbed the ropes and pulled it over to the mooring where it was hooked. By 5PM they were airborne again and I saw them passing by my house heading up to the Stadium.
    John mentioned maybe they are also here for the US Open (starts Mon) or maybe the Giants-Jets game Sat night but with the approaching hurricane they might be heading out of town quickly.

DT1 was used by the YES Network tonite for the Yankee game. Wonder if they did double duty for ESPN? Their
    coverage of the game was blacked out here in the NYC area.

She was circling just north of Times Square for at least an hour this afternoon. There might have been an event down there, not sure. I do know DirecTV is going nuts promoting a new service only for Manhattan residents which is kind of a big deal and there are ads for it all over the city...aimed at people whose apartment buildings don't allow dish setups, you'll be able to watch every NFL game through your regular internet connection...$350(!) for the season.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Some new shots :borat:

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Well, it's not from today, or even this year, but I came across an envelope of photos, and threw a few on the scanner. These are from March 11, 2004, when President GW Bush visited Long Island during the presidential campaign. He flew into FRG on the C-32. Arrived on Rwy 14, parked over by JetCenter (now SheltAir) and departed that evening off Rwy 32. These were shot with my old Yashica SLR:

I had gotten there early, and had a spot at the fence so I could shoot through it, then SCPD came down and moved us all back about 10 feet:

Blast from the past. I remember how crowded New Highway was as people drove past to get a glimpse of AF1.