Page 174 of 221 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3308

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Or you could see the same helos at JRB. As long as you're not Iranian, that is.

I am just curious.... Did anyone hear of a special arrival to FRG on the 1st thru the 2nd? May not be too special with airshow and all....byeeeee
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I hear there is a Blue Angel(s) appearance scheduled for some familiarization flights.

FRG put out a press release (to warn the locals about the noise) that two Blue Angel jets will arrive on Sunday, April 1, and will fly a familiarization flight over NY harbor on Monday, April 2. According to the press release, they will park at Sheltair. No flight times were specified in the release.

I guess Blue Angels #1 & #7 will be flying up late Sun. afternoon right after they're done performing at the Tuscaloosa, AL Airshow this weekend ... Anyway, I know where I'll be Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    I guess Blue Angels #1 & #7 will be flying up late Sun. afternoon right after they're done performing at the Tuscaloosa, AL Airshow this weekend ... Anyway, I know where I'll be Monday morning.
    Hopefully we get an ETA for Sunday so I know where I will be.

Well, IF the 2 Blues fly up right after their show down in Tuscaloosa (which is already an hour behind us) we'll be lucky if they arrive at FRG just before sunset on Sunday

So who says you can't take pictures of them at night???

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    So who says you can't take pictures of them at night???
    Oh, I definitely know where you and Fred will be on Sunday night, that's for sure !! Ha !

So apparently my second time out trying to begin a new hobby has already got me discouraged because I can pose "a danger to homeland security" according to a State Trooper. I was over by Talon Air coming in from rt. 109 and took a few shots of Miami Air and pulled over by the gate near Talon to take a few pics of 2 jets they had running and some sort of filming taking place in the hanger, not sure whats going on with that when before I even got out of the car a Trooper was telling me to leave, no filming or pictures allowed to be taken on airport property it can be a threat to homeland security. When I simply questioned where you are allowed to take pictures he asked are you allowed to take pictures at JFK, I said i had no idea this is a new hobby I see people taking pics all the time all over this place. He said over by the 56th is ok. So can some pro's school me on the do's and donts to picture taking here. On the map, the red dot is where I was told to move from, blue he said is ok, yellow Im not sure about im guessing thats also off limits.

Here are the few I was able to quickly take as pulling away.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68230181@N06/7028617111/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68230181@N06/7028598341/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68230181@N06/6882498092/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68230181@N06/7028597055/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68230181@N06/6882497484/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68230181@N06/7028596819/
    Last edited by ExplorerSport; 2012-03-30 at 12:54 AM.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    That spot is a hot one, just go to other spots at FRG. There are plenty. Don't get discouraged. If we all stopped every time law enforcement told us to leave there would be no spotters.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerSport View Post
    So apparently my second time out trying to begin a new hobby has already got me discouraged because I can pose "a danger to homeland security" according to a State Trooper. I was over by Talon Air coming in from rt. 109 and took a few shots of Miami Air and pulled over by the gate near Talon to take a few pics of 2 jets they had running and some sort of filming taking place in the hanger, not sure whats going on with that when before I even got out of the car a Trooper was telling me to leave, no filming or pictures allowed to be taken on airport property it can be a threat to homeland security. When I simply questioned where you are allowed to take pictures he asked are you allowed to take pictures at JFK, I said i had no idea this is a new hobby I see people taking pics all the time all over this place. He said over by the 56th is ok. So can some pro's school me on the do's and donts to picture taking here. On the map, the red dot is where I was told to move from, blue he said is ok, yellow Im not sure about im guessing thats also off limits.
    Okay, I see where he bothered you, and I can understand his reasoning for asking you to move, that is basically a blind corner which many people (especially the NYSPD) cut the corner. You are in a vulnerable spot, not easily seen...secondly, you are also sitting right next to the Jet-A refuel station. That is probably more of the concern, not that you were taking pictures, but because you were stopped by a very...let's say...suspicious area.

Like Nick said, go over the the parking area between the terminal and the 56th, and have at it. I shoot there all the time, and have never been bothered, and believe me, the controllers in the tower can see you, so if they wanted to bust chops and have people moved, they could get it done easily.

Check out the FRG spotting guide on the main site, and you'll have no issues. And DONT stop shooting! Remember if those planes are running, they have to taxi and takeoff somewhere. :)

I find it interesting - but not surprising - that he told you that taking pictures on airport property was a threat to security, then told you to go over by the terminal to shoot...

The spot by Talon is tight, and yes, the troopers are probably the worst about driving too fast through there. I've grabbed a couple of quick shots over that way, but there usually isn't much of interest. The other spot you noted - the yellow dot on your map - gives a decent shot at the sports charters parked down that end. The problem is there is no parking along that section of the road. You either need to park further down and walk back, or pull onto the shoulder, jump out and shoot, and drive off. Not that I would ever do anything like that...

You will usually find plenty of people over by the lot near between 56th and the terminal. It's a good spot to eat lunch and watch the airplanes, and not bad for shooting.

Last night...in to bring the Penguins back to Pittsburgh

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Nice shot! I like the sky in that one.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)