Page 53 of 221 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008/2009

Kept hearing "705" this evening when I got home. Just heard it again at 10:20. Looked it up and saw it to be
    a US Dept of Interior Cessna 182.

Took one of my dogs to get groomed this morning so being up early and a forecast for bad weather later I headed
    over to FRG about 9:30. State 1-9 was sitting at Atlantic and Snoopy 1 headed out soon after I got there. The
    Douglas C-47 also headed out on Runway 1 and did three more departures out to Captree while I was there.
    Trumps 76 landed at Atlantic and idled for almost 20 minutes before heading out to A/C. At 11:00 the Boatpix R-22
    which was parked behind the Huey took off and then the Huey took off from the Bravo pad heading out to Jones
    Beach area. They used the call sign "Grey Rider One Nine" (at least that it what I heard). When they came back about
    20 minutes later the rain was starting and the State crew (about 5 officers) along with ground personell from Atlantic
    hooked up wheels to the UH-1H and pulled it into Hangar 54. It was interesting as they had two officers sit in the
    cockpit and one officer on each skid by the open cockpit doors as they wheeled it over. As I left the copter was not
    totally in the hangar and they might have been having some sort of problem. Snoopy 1 stayed up until about 1:30 or
    so but with the weather worsening they headed back to FRG.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Nah someone confused it for a guard bird. I was just clearing it up. The 106 got rid of their Huey's about 12 years ago or so. That is all. And it is flying from the State ramp.
    >Not to argue, but since I've been watching it take off and land from outside my window, I can state they are using Atlantic's ramp. <

Was over by 34st Heliport last night and didnt realize Atlantic ran that facilty. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    The Douglas C-47 also headed out on Runway 1 and did three more departures out to Captree while I was there.
    The AAM was doing one of their "Flight Ops" weekends, with the D-Day re-enactment program rides. I was over at the terminal for the FRG Historical Society meeting, and someone wandered in, looking for the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Nah someone confused it for a guard bird. I was just clearing it up. The 106 got rid of their Huey's about 12 years ago or so. That is all. And it is flying from the State ramp.
    >Not to argue, but since I've been watching it take off and land from outside my window, I can state they are using Atlantic's ramp. <

Was over by 34st Heliport last night and didnt realize Atlantic ran that facilty. Nice.
    Ummm... Atlantic at FRG. Finally here's the proof:

Damn lights!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

schweeet! nice work. i love the 430 pic!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

CT ANG C-21A (Lear 35A) parked at Sheltair today. Of course it started to rain just as I was taking these shots.

Sorry for the poor shot on this Cessna T210. I don't recall seeing it around before, although it's registered to an individual in Far Rockaway. I found it interesting that it's painted to resemble El Al markings.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

This article seemed to change on Republic's website:

American Air Power Museum (Hangar 3) Relocation

Due to the Runway Safety Area Projects, the American Airpower Museum will be removed due to its close proximity to Runway 1/19. The airport has set aside a parcel of land for the replacement and construction of a new hangar of approximately the same size, along with associated parking of 200 spaces for the Museum. A Negative Declaration for this action was adopted on December 4, 2006 under the State’s environmental review. The museum is currently working on development plans and a new facility is planned to open on or about 2012.
    http://www.republicairport.net/American ... cation.htm

According to an AAM volunteer word has it that they are moving across the street near the old broken down Republic hangars, and it looks like they are doing construction now.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    According to an AAM volunteer word has it that they are moving across the street near the old broken down Republic hangars, and it looks like they are doing construction now.
    You mean the old buildings north of Conkin Street? No, that's not where they are going - for one thing, it would make flight operations impossible! The plan is to build a new facility across the airport near the 56th Fighter Group restaurant/terminal area.

ohhh nice!!.. he got his 210 back!!!!.. when i was still working there he just finished upgrading his cockpit to full glass/garmin and whatnot.. awesome guy too!.. one of the few tenants i liked

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    You mean the old buildings north of Conkin Street? No, that's not where they are going - for one thing, it would make flight operations impossible! The plan is to build a new facility across the airport near the 56th Fighter Group restaurant/terminal area.
    i hope the "new facility" is constructed to look like the current hangar. any new one would only detract from the museum.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Thats the first thing I thought but then they said they would manage to do something also they said they have to move the 56th because of FAA regulations.
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

I wonder if the guy who owns the Cessna has ElAl ties
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thats the first thing I thought but then they said they would manage to do something also they said they have to move the 56th because of FAA regulations.
    Check out these overviews of the projects happening at FRG:
    http://www.republicairport.net/pdf/Repu ... -FINAL.pdf
    http://www.republicairport.net/pdf/Econ ... -Study.pdf

They are about a year old - they still show the AAM moving SOUTH to the other side of the SheltAir ramp. The latest I've heard is the plan is to move it across near the restaurant. The only way to "manage to do something" if they are north of Conklin Street would be to re-route Conklin (not likely) or stop traffic on Conklin for aircraft to cross (less likely). The north end of Rwy 1/19 is actually being moved north about 450 feet, to permit adequate Runway Safe Area (RSA) between the south end of the runway and Rt. 109. With that, the RSA north of the runway extends almost all the way to Conklin Street - they are actually removing parking in front of Dave & Busters, and relocating the road along the east side of that parking lot. There is nothing in any of the documents indicating any issues with the restaurant.

Well what I was thinking they could do (if or when they move to Conklin) is they could have the WWII birds parked near sheltair and have them fly and do passes (like they normally do) and then to get up close to the planes they could figure out a way to get mass amounts of people across the street (like when they do tours of the old control tower) and then let them take pictures and send them back.

Speaking of the old control tower I need to get up there on Labor Day because I still haven't been up there and they will probably knock it down soon.