Page 112 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 3308

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Update... There will be formation flights on Friday with the 2 spits and Lancaster as well as some Museum aircraft in the formation for a second flyby. The only thing I can confirm flying Sat is the C-47. I am sure more aircraft will fly Sat but the real day to be there will be Friday. I am changing my above statement to say FRIDAY is the day you want to be there if you can only go one day.

The full release

70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain to be observed on LI with

RAF Spitfires and a four engine Lancaster flying at the

American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport

Calling all Long Islanders whose families survived the Blitz

All Labor Day weekend, the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, when Nazi and British fighters fought over the future of freedom, two rare RAF Spitfires and a heavy four engine Lancaster bomber will take to the air over the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport to mark ceremonies that will include remarks by British Acting Consul-General Dominic Meiklejohn and welcoming British expats who are now proud Long Islanders remembering the deadly Blitz by Nazi bombers during World War II.

Following their salute flight, the RAF aircraft will be joined by American fighters that were later flown by British pilots and, together, helped turn the tide of war in Europe and the Pacific.

“The significance of this anniversary is simple for every American. Seventy years ago this summer, our very civilization stood on the edge of a horrible abyss. If Britain had fallen to the Nazis, it would have been virtually impossible for the United States to land on occupied European soil and roll back the Third Reich,” explained American Airpower Museum president Jeff Clyman. “It was the Spitfire, and its stable mate, the Hurricane, that rose to the defense of London and thereby saved humanity from the Nazis. We need to understand our history and heed those lessons today.”

Museum Vice President Jim Vocell said, “We are looking to welcome the families of British expats now living on Long Island who experienced the Battle of Britain as soldiers, airmen or sailors. In addition, we are looking for firsthand accounts from those who were in Britain as children, then immigrated here to the States. These are all valuable oral histories that become part of the fabric of fighting for freedom.”

Hensley Murray, a longtime volunteer at the American Airpower Museum, was a child in Glasgow, Scotland whose industrial area, Clydebank, took a terrible pounding from Luftwaffe bombers because of its role as an industrial center. Some 12,000 homes were destroyed or damaged and, at one point during the aerial assault, over 500 people were killed within two nights.

“London was better known as a target for Nazi bombers during the Blitz, but other cities also suffered terribly, including Belfast, Manchester, Plymouth and Coventry. Those of us who lived through it won’t forget it, and this anniversary cannot pass without every Long Islander understanding what was at stake,” offered Murray.

Labor Day Weekend’s Battle of Britain program at the American Airpower Museum will be held from Friday, September 3rd through Monday, September 6th, between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Gate donations will be requested, $15 for adults, $10, for seniors and veterans and $5 for children. Flight and armor experiences will also be available. The museum’s web site is www.americanairpowermuseum.com
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Fred,
    Thanks for the flying schedule update for next week.

Dreaming of flight
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Friday's schedule of events at the AAM have been canceled due to the incoming storm. Remainder of weekend activities should go on as planned. Sorry folks...
    Phantom II - The World's Largest Distributor of MiG Parts!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomII View Post
    Friday's schedule of events at the AAM have been canceled due to the incoming storm. Remainder of weekend activities should go on as planned. Sorry folks...
    After this storm blows out the weather for the rest of the weekend looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomII View Post
    Any update on a flying schedule yet? What time will the Spit and Lanc fly? Sorry to be pestering but I am being pulled in three different directions by family this weekend, but WILL NOT miss seeing these planes. --Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Any update on a flying schedule yet? What time will the Spit and Lanc fly? Sorry to be pestering but I am being pulled in three different directions by family this weekend, but WILL NOT miss seeing these planes. --Pete
    Assuming Earl blows on through as forecast, the plan is to kick off the weekend activities with the arrival of the Lanc and Spits on Saturday at Noon. The ceremonies planned for Friday with Battle of Britain survivors will take place on Sunday.

[QUOTE=PhantomII;429015]Assuming Earl blows on through as forecast, the plan is to kick off the weekend activities with the arrival of the Lanc and Spits on Saturday at Noon. QUOTE]

THis still good to go?

Negitive....they are expecting the aircraft in tomorrow at noon... the Activities will be SUNDAY and I will miss it!!! UGH
    I will be there all day tomorrow, and possibly tomorrow night ;)

Yes, right now, they are expecting the aircraft to arrive around Noon on Saturday, with a certain amount of fanfare. They will be on display all weekend, but the BoB ceremony that was scheduled for Friday will be held on Sunday instead.

Word out of the Great White North is they hope to arrive with the Lancaster around 11am Saturday. That is Canadian Time, so YMMV.

confirmed

PIREP from the LANC!!

FRG UA /OV BUF-FRG /TM 1518 /FL050 /TP LANC /TB LGT-OCNL MOD CHOP
    050/BLO

She's on her way.....reported 11:18 local

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    PIREP from the LANC!!

FRG UA /OV BUF-FRG /TM 1518 /FL050 /TP LANC /TB LGT-OCNL MOD CHOP
    050/BLO

She's on her way.....reported 11:18 local
    10:50AM!! Just passing Sheltair when I heard them on Tower. Coming in from the North they set up for a low Fly-By on Runway 1. I set up in the rear lot of Atlantic by the #s of 1
    as they turned in from the shoreline. What a beauty. After Fly-By they did a left turn out and came in on 3-2. I went over to the Museum parking lot to get a closer look then headed out
    as I had errands to run. Heard one of the AAM workers tell a guest the Spitfires wouldnt be coming in till tomorrow. Anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Heard one of the AAM workers tell a guest the Spitfires wouldnt be coming in till tomorrow. Anyone confirm?
    That's affirmative, due to the high winds the Spitfires will arrive sometime Sunday, with the BoB festivities around 12.

I'll try for better pics tomorrow.This one's junk.

Last edited by GrummanFan; 2010-09-04 at 02:48 PM.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com