Thread: JFK 5/17 Afternoon T5 Garage?

JFK 5/17 Afternoon T5 Garage?

Hey Guys-

So I am flying back home to ATL for the week on Monday afternoon and my flight doesn't leave til 4:45. Since I have no bags to check, I thought I might head out a bit early and spend an hour or two at the T5 garage and try out the D90 and my 70-300 IF-ED for some spotting. Anybody around or able to make it out for a quick afternoon?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

NLovis

Re: JFK 5/17 Afternoon T5 Garage?

Depends on what time I have to head into work. If its my normal 3 I could show for a few hours prior. It also depends on the runway in use. Dont think you can get the 22's from there.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Sorry bro, but I'll be at work. Give me a call or text sometime though!

Nick, you can definitely get 22's from the garage.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Hi All -

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, and its not personal, but if the Port Authority of NY/NJ has told the owner of this website that they don't want anyone shooting at the airports (or similar), its really not a good idea I don't think to send open ended invitations to go shoot on their property/what they may have leased out to others/their jurisdiction etc) and broadcast it to whoever might browse this website.

El Al Cargo - gone, Air India Cargo - gone (pretty much), Halmar(sp?)/Customs - gone (pretty much)... Its actually a foregone conclusion that the Garages will follow suit, and I am surprised it didn't happen last summer, but no need to accelerate the inevitable.

Nor do owners of private property (such as Costco for example - a place that went from spotter neutral to spotter unfriendly) probably want the publicity. -

By all means, shoot wherever you feel you need to shoot (I know I do), but no need to unnecessarily risk what is left...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    Hi All -

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, and its not personal, but if the Port Authority of NY/NJ has told the owner of this website that they don't want anyone shooting at the airports (or similar), its really not a good idea I don't think to send open ended invitations to go shoot on their property/what they may have leased out to others/their jurisdiction etc) and broadcast it to whoever might browse this website.

El Al Cargo - gone, Air India Cargo - gone (pretty much), Halmar(sp?)/Customs - gone (pretty much)... Its actually a foregone conclusion that the Garages will follow suit, and I am surprised it didn't happen last summer, but no need to accelerate the inevitable.

Nor do owners of private property (such as Costco for example - a place that went from spotter neutral to spotter unfriendly) probably want the publicity. -

By all means, shoot wherever you feel you need to shoot (I know I do), but no need to unnecessarily risk what is left...

Tom
    Oh there is Tom but I for one have given up even saying anything anymore. I
    tried to save the cargo area but the advice I gave was rebuffed and then I
    was attacked. Yet everything I said came to pass and the cargo area was
    lost due to the acts of members here. Instead of using good judgement and
    keeping a low profile people treated as their God given birthright to be
    there. Well now we can't shoot there anymore. We know how things are in NY
    when it comes to this.

Know that very recently we have had an incident in Time Square. You can't
    publicize these spots. Or go camping out in groups with cameras around your
    necks. If you are going to post in spotting meet up threads leave the locations
    out. Think about what drawing attention to yourselves and making public
    knowledge these spots can do down the road. It's apparent that radical Islam
    is not going away anytime soon and that is going to cause people to be on
    edge. If port starts to get a ton of calls their solution will be to just
    remove the common variable. Which is us. Now I can tell that Tom's words
    and mine are going to be taken as an attack and we will go down the same
    petty road where one faction will claim the other is doing this and whahhh
    whahh but unless you guys want to do all your shooting at the mounds we
    should all practice something we have very little of. Discretion. Nothing
    personal Andy but the parking garages at JFK are a tiger by the tail and it
    would probably be better to discuss them as shooting locations via PMs, emails
    and SMS messages
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    its really not a good idea I don't think to send open ended invitations to go shoot on their property/what they may have leased out to others/their jurisdiction etc) and broadcast it to whoever might browse this website.
    Nothing personal Andy but the parking garages at JFK are a tiger by the tail and it
    and SMS messages
    No offense taken, didn't realize this was such a sensitive issue here. If you're worried about publicizing the location, then I request this thread be deleted. But it should be noted that I've shot from several garages at JFK (while in transit as a pax, not with a car) and have never been approached or harassed.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

I am someone that has shot from the T5 garage from time to time. Only on one occasion have I been approached by one of those security cars and he asked me "if I was enjoying the view". I would definitely say that this is not a spot for group meetup but if your going to go up there just keep a low profile.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    its really not a good idea I don't think to send open ended invitations to go shoot on their property/what they may have leased out to others/their jurisdiction etc) and broadcast it to whoever might browse this website.
    Nothing personal Andy but the parking garages at JFK are a tiger by the tail and it
    and SMS messages
    No offense taken, didn't realize this was such a sensitive issue here. If you're worried about publicizing the location, then I request this thread be deleted. But it should be noted that I've shot from several garages at JFK (while in transit as a pax, not with a car) and have never been approached or harassed.
    Which is probably due to the fact you were alone. If groups begin to spot there and act in a manner that attracts attention (Which happened at cargo plaza) We risk losing the parking garages. As you will read in Erics contribution he spots there alone and stays low profile. Also he never posts in an open forum that he is going there. Remember that many people in the industry lurk on aviation websites and to publicize this will surely only yield negative results. As Eric said if you use good judgement and keep it to a couple of spotters, maybe 3 at a time and not draw attention to yourself then we can enjoy those locations for a long time to come and have them in place for the spotters when we are in wheelchairs sipping our food. That is all we are saying Andy.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol