Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 NYC Fleet Week 5/26 to 6/2

2010 NYC Fleet Week 5/26 to 6/2

Scheduled for May 26th through June 2nd. The USS Iwo Jima is the only vessel that carries aircraft. It is unknown what compliment of air craft will accompany her. She is capable of supporting V-22 Osprey's, A-8 Harriers, And numerous types of helicopters.

From "Navy Times"

Navy announces ships for N.Y. Fleet Week

Staff report
    Posted : Wednesday Apr 21, 2010 8:06:33 EDT

The Navy plans to send seven ships to New York’s annual Fleet Week next month, it announced Tuesday: a big-deck gator, a cruiser, a destroyer and four smaller patrol coastal ships. The Coast Guard plans to send three ships.

From Naval Station Norfolk, Va., the Navy will dispatch the amphibious assault ship Iwo Jima, destroyer James E. Williams and PCs Tempest, Hurricane, Monsoon and Squall, the announcement said. The cruiser Philippine Sea will sail from Naval Station Mayport, Fla.

The Coast Guard plans to send the buoy tenders Katherine Walker of New York, and Abbie Burgess of Cape May, N.J.; and the medium-endurance cutter Campbell, based in Portsmouth, N.H., according to Navy Region Mid-Atlantic.

Iwo Jima will dock in Manhattan during the fleet festival May 26 to June 2, and all the other ships will dock in the borough of Staten Island. The ships will be available for public tours and their crews — about 3,000 sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen — will be feted at events throughout the city.

International warships also have visited New York during Fleet Week, although their arrangements this year have not yet been confirmed

Th
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Re: 2010 NYC Fleet Week 5/26 to 6/2

That's always good timing, having Fleet Week the same week as the Jones Beach show. If past years are any indication, look for some additional, non-show Navy traffic at FRG - we've seen T-45s and T-39s at FRG carrying USN visitors to NYC. Also, keep an eye out for some interesting demos around the area. Although I haven't been to any, they have staged mock "invasions" at various places around the area, with helos and Marines dropping in. I think they did one at Eisenhower Park (it was on Saturday, and I was up in the FRG tower...)

I was able to man the rails of the USS Iwo Jima in 2000 at NAS Pensacola for her commisioning ceremony. I still have the challenge coin from the Secretary of the Navy, I'll see if I can dig it up and post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    That's always good timing, having Fleet Week the same week as the Jones Beach show. If past years are any indication, look for some additional, non-show Navy traffic at FRG - we've seen T-45s and T-39s at FRG carrying USN visitors to NYC. Also, keep an eye out for some interesting demos around the area. Although I haven't been to any, they have staged mock "invasions" at various places around the area, with helos and Marines dropping in. I think they did one at Eisenhower Park (it was on Saturday, and I was up in the FRG tower...)
    I agree Moose it is always tough. The Marines do put on some good demos using various helicopters. Two years ago I caught them at Westbury High School taking off.

They usually do the combat insertion drills at Eisenhower Park, Cunningham Park in Queens and Orchard Beach in the Bronx.

The problem is they are always during the air show or all the action at Republic.

I will keep an eye out for their schedule as they usually do a demo at a High School on the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

Now an Osprey has been thrown into the mix! That should be one heck of a show...

A U.S. Marine Corps helicopter squadron will make a dramatic landing at Eisenhower Park’s Kite Field on Saturday, May 29, as part of a daylong schedule of events, announced Nassau County Executive Ed. Mangano.

The event, billed “Raid New York” by the U.S. Marine Corps, will be the largest Marine helicopter landing on Long Island and is part of the larger “Fleet Week 2010” program taking place in New York City.

The helicopter landings at Eisenhower Park will begin at 10 a.m.

Among the featured aircraft is the MV22 Osprey, a multi-mission tilt-rotor aircraft with both a vertical takeoff and landing and short takeoff and landing capability. The aircraft is designed to combine the functionality of a helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop.

The Osprey, joined by CH-46E Sea Knight helicopters and AH-1W Cobras, will perform an area sweep and will transport the raid force Marines to the landing zone. Marines will perform an assault demonstration, after which helicopters will land and will be on public display, along with the weapons typically used by a Marine Corps rifle platoon. There will also be free camouflage face-painting for youngsters.

Marines supporting this event are part of a Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force from Camp Lejeune, N.C., and have recently returned from Afghanistan, Iraq and Haiti.

The event, presented in cooperation with the Nassau County Department of Parks, is free to the public and will take place on the Kite Field, just south of the Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park, with parking at fields 6 and 6A.
    http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci.../05-14-10.html
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

[quote="GrummanFan"]Now an Osprey has been thrown into the mix! That should be one heck of a show...

Wow that is awesome!! And it gives anyone plenty of time to head over to FRG after that to watch participants depart and return.
    4 days off and my wife and family have already been alerted that I will be unavailable during the daylight hours for
    those days. :lol:

The official, condensed version, of events for Fleet Week including events here on Long Island. Highlights are in bold and if they stay scheduled are great.

Wednesday, May 26

8:30am Parade of Ships Along the Hudson River on the west side. No word on aircraft, if any, that are participating.
    7pm USMC Flyover @ NY Mets game NY Mets Field
    Thursday, May 27

10am-noon USMC MAGTF Air/Ground Demo Coney Island Brooklyn
    11AM-1PM USCG SAR Helo Demo NY Harbor near Homeport Pier, Staten Island

Friday, May 28

9am-11am MV-22 Static Display Homeport Pier, Staten Island
    10am-11:30am USMC MAGTF Air-Ground Demo Massapequa High School, Long Island
    11am-11:30am USCG SAR Helo Demo NY Harbor near Homeport Pier, Staten Island
    2:30pm-6pm USMC MAGTF Air/Ground Demo Orchard Beach, Bronx

Saturday, May 29

10am-2pm USMC MAGTF Demo Eisenhower Park, Long Island
    12:30pm-1pm USCG Vertical Insertion Helo Demo Onboard USCG Ship, Staten Island
    1pm-1:30pm USCG SAR Helo Demo Hudson River near Piers 86-88
    3pm-5pm USMC MAGTF Demo Republic Airport, Long Island

Sunday, May 30

10am-1pm USMC MAGTF Demo Corona Park Queens
    3pm-5pm USMC MAGTF Demo Playland Park, Rye, NY

Monday, May 31

11am-4pm USMC MAGTF Demo Clove Lake Park, Staten Island

Tuesday June 1

2pm-3:30pm USMC MAGTF Demo Lindenhurst High School, Long Island

Wednesday, June 2
    Ships and service members depart New York City

For complete schedule visit https://www.cnic.navy.mil/navycni/group ... 160688.pdf

I sure hope that means the Osprey will be coming to Republic that Sat. afternoon also !! :borat:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S
    I sure hope that means the Osprey will be coming to Republic that Sat. afternoon also !! :borat:
    Oh, that would be a most excellent situation.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

The A-10 East Coast Demo team will fly over the USS Intrepid Museum at 11:50AM. They will leave FRG at 11:00AM and return at 12:10PM.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    The A-10 East Coast Demo team will fly over the USS Intrepid Museum at 11:50AM. They will leave FRG at 11:00AM and return at 12:10PM.
    What day will this fly over be on ???

Edit: I just saw on the other thread that it is scheduled for Monday the 31st

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

[quote=Chris S]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fighting_falcon_51":c4b0rz4g
    What day will this fly over be on ???[/quote:c4b0rz4g]
    Monday the 31st . Sorry, It would have helped if I put the date. :lol:
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Two V-22 Ospreys are at KTEB right now. They'll be joined by AH-1 Cobras sometime this week. TEB hosted the Ospreys for last year's Fleet Week as well.

1. No parade of planes up the river this year?

2. Will the Ospreys be doing the CitiField flyover? They did it last year.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Ospreys, Cobras and Seaknights will be out of TEB. I don't know if the Ospreys are doing the Met game. They are tempermental, last year only one flew because the other had mech problems.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com