Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Red Bull Air Race NY - June 19-20, Tickets On Sale Now

Re: Red Bull Air Race NY - June 19-20, Tickets On Sale Now

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    Also the following networks will broadcast the race:
    2:00PM - MSGPH 717(Cablevision) WNYW 5(Cablevision)
    If you do not have Cablevision and you would like to find out which channels will broadcast the race click here.
    This is for the Sunday race only. No Saturday coverage.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Liquid_Squelch- Thank YOU for putting the feeds up.

Gerard- Correct, I should have specified that.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Been there. But it is Fathers Day weekend and a really nice gift to you would be to have the
    Missus WATCH the kinder and YOU go to the races.
    Me, On Saturday I'll be on Governors Island with some buddys figuring out how many 4 ounce glasses I can consume
    in 5 hours.
    Then Sunday flying down to Boca to visit my oldest son. One of the reasons I have a 10:45AM flight as opposed to a
    early bird flight is, well, see the above sentence relating to Saturday!!
    So late getting to this. Happy Fathers Day all! Been a perfect day thus far:

Watched this AMs first World Cup game while putting together a table and chairs, now watching the 2nd game. a 3rd to follow and Red Bull Air Races in HD TV.

I hear you on having the Missus watch but loving how today works out. And besides, I already have it set up....if it never makes it back to NY, we'll make a trip to see it in the future, at one of the more exotic venues. :mrgreen: :borat: :mrgreen:

Would love to hear from those of you who went and have questions:

-Where did you sit? What was the view like?
    -Is anyone did Race Club seats, was it worth it?
    -I really like the idea of seeing it from Ellis Island. Was that a venue associated with Red Bull or did you persue that on your own?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I went today and I was blown away! Here is a quick debrief from today:

Venue

I got tickets for the grandstand. I was happy with my seats and got a nice view of the track. I would probably do it again but GA didn't look too bad either.

I think the LEO's and military did a great job at securing this event. I felt safe and they went above and beyond.

Side Acts

The USCG HH-65 demo was a great addition to the show. I can't it to see them at Atlantic City this year.

The Red Bull Air Force did a much better job at spicing up the show here then they did at Jones Beach. I really liked the full body parachutes.

I saw Chuck Aarons Red Bull helicopter demo for the 3rd time today and it still amazes me like its the first time I ever saw it.

The F4U Corsair demo was amazing! It flew inverted and did a couple of four point rolls.

Show

They decided NOT to do the wildcard today. Anyone know why?

The show was very intense today and all the pilots did a good job.

Mike Goulian did an almost perfect run until he did an incorrect level flight. I felt bad for him.

Kirby fought his way into the finial four and all hope was lost until Hanns Arch hit the pylon. Kirby ended up in 3rd place.
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Because they only had 12 aircraft flying, so there was no reason for a wildcard: Kindlemann hasn't raced since Australia due to his accident and is out for the season, Hall was suspended for this race because of his water incident and Muroya had a propeller strike when he landed in NJ, and couldn't repair in time.

I was with several friends in the Standing North section. Because of a medical emergency that happened on our light-rail train just before it left the station, we arrived later than we wanted and thus didn't get good spots. I was unable to see most of the race, much less photograph it. Ellis Island definitely looked like it was the place to be - through my lens, it appeared as if there weren't too many people there. What made the standing area worse was that the grade sloped downward slightly from the water, meaning the people in the back of the crowd had no chance of seeing any of the action. Plus, I'm short. Because I was with fellow aero nerds I had a great time, and I am certainly glad I went, but I would have enjoyed it much more if I could have seen the entire runs without obstruction, allowing me to follow each pilot's techniques.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    Because they only had 12 aircraft flying, so there was no reason for a wildcard: Kindlemann hasn't raced since Australia due to his accident and is out for the season, Hall was suspended for this race because of his water incident and Muroya had a propeller strike when he landed in NJ, and couldn't repair in time.

I was with several friends in the Standing North section. Because of a medical emergency that happened on our light-rail train just before it left the station, we arrived later than we wanted and thus didn't get good spots. I was unable to see most of the race, much less photograph it. Ellis Island definitely looked like it was the place to be - through my lens, it appeared as if there weren't too many people there. What made the standing area worse was that the grade sloped downward slightly from the water, meaning the people in the back of the crowd had no chance of seeing any of the action. Plus, I'm short. Because I was with fellow aero nerds I had a great time, and I am certainly glad I went, but I would have enjoyed it much more if I could have seen the entire runs without obstruction, allowing me to follow each pilot's techniques.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

On Grandstand B just on the on other side of the North Cove the GA area was basically empty from what I saw . There were even spare benches you could sit on.

Red Bull Air Race

I was viewing the Red Bull Air Race from Staten Island on Sunday. I was late so only saw the end of the race but I noticed something unusual after 1500. I saw one of the aircraft circling over Lower Manhattan doing stunts. Was that part of the race? Imagine how nervous people in Lower Manhattan were on Sunday when looking-up and seeing a plane buzzing around.

I viewed from Staten Island. I should have brought binoculars. I saw the Coast Guard chasing boats away from the racing area. After the Sunday races, I saw a plane doing stunts over Lower Manhattan. I was delayed thanks to the NYC subway so I missed most of the race.

Here's the NYCA recap of the event.

NYCAviation:
    Red Bull Air Race Wows New Yorkers; Bonhomme Takes Home Victory
    By Matt Molnar | June 23rd, 2010

Over 75,000 fans standing in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty watched Paul Bonhomme win
    the first ever Red Bull Air Race New York, concluding four days of thrilling aerial action never
    before seen in the Big Apple. [FULL ARTICLE]
    Psst: There are also some photos of Red Bull girls and one of the German Playboy Playmates that accompanies Mattias Dolderer to each race.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I've added some of my photos from Friday's practice session here
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram