Thread: 6 Month anniversary of my Cochlear Implant Activation

6 Month anniversary of my Cochlear Implant Activation

Hey All--

It has been 6 months as of today when the world was turned on for me in terms of Sound. The first time I heard my voice, my family's voice, friends voices, it was simply put, amazing. I was a baby all over again, though I am 23 years old. Seeking to find sound, and discovering what made a sound.

To my surprise EVERYTHING made a sound. Something so small as a crinkle of paper, to something as loud as a clap of thunder. Noting, that I was able to hear thunder even before the surgery but with the implant, lets just say it is LOUD! :)

The first month was quite frustrating not being able to clarify what I was hearing. In time, patience and therapy things became clear.

Right now as of 6 months this is what I have been able to do so far...

I can pick up all types of sound no matter how quiet it is
    I am picking sounds a lot farther than what my hearing aid allowed me to do.
    I am able to follow speech a little bit better, so long as both my hearing aid and implant combined work together.
    Music is very fun to listen to and play with.

Ever since I got so used to the implant, when I take it off, and use just my hearing aid, I feel I am missing so much. A bit like Oh my gosh, how did I EVER live for nearly 22 years with just my hearing aid? I thought I had it all, sorry not even CLOSE.

It has created some very funny moments for sure, from hearing the turn signal go off for the first time and making me think something was wrong with the car! At work when I used the DC connect for therapy sessions I would have people ask me if I was charging my Lap Top with my ear!!! I barked out a laughter at that and explained what I had done. It was always met with fascination!

I also come across frustrations, especially in traveling, every time I fly out of STL in the Main Terminal they love to hassle me about it, the TSA folks. Insisting it will damage it or I will set it off. Negative, I fly at least 1 or 2 times a month, and it has never done so nor will it.

I like to think this has brought me to closer to family and friends, friends especially. Most knew me with hearing aids. However, I was old news, ok, he's the guy with hearing aids move on. Now it's Oh you got your head drilled and you have a magnet in your head, how awesome!!! I do not kid LOL High School Reunion should be interesting!

In seriousness, I appreciate the questions my friends have asked me about it, it means they are interested, and probably fascinated in how it works. I am learning along with them too and it is exciting to share new sounds I have discovered as well. I thank all of my friends who actively ask how it is going, whether they are being polite or not, I still appreciate it!

Even so, with this, I still have learned more than EVER not to take anything for granted. I did lose my hearing, no I didn't get it back, but I got a tool that helped me hear things again, and for that I am thankful for. Most of my friends tell me how I have taught them not to take anything for granted, how something so easy for them is a daily struggle for me. It is nice to hear that, *pauses for laughter* Ok sorry getting off the stage now..

It is in all seriousness nice to hear it and I do appreciate it. I look forward to the next 6 months with this and can't wait to see what other new stuff comes my way also!

Thanks to all my family and friends who have been with me the past 6 months and look forward to the next 6 months! As my airline employees like to say "Buckle up your seat belt, lock up your tray tables, it's time for a ride!"

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Re: 6 Month anniversary of my Cochlear Implant Activation

That's terrific, Alex! I'm so glad this has worked out so well for you, and thanks for sharing the journey with us - it has been interesting to see how this has all gone over the past six months.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Awesome to read about the progress Alex!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Great stuff, Alex. Please continue to share your progress and experiences!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

That's incredible Alex! What a journey you have had over the past 6 months! Thank you for sharing it with us - and keep sharing it!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/