Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would have been different had 9/11 not happened?

What would have been different had 9/11 not happened?

What do you think would have happened diffrently if 9/11 had not taken place in the US airline industry? Fleet's mergers etc....

Personally, I think the 727 would have had a slightly longer life extension, I do not think we would have soo many furloughs industry wide though I do think US would have remained in a bad position though perhaps not as severe of one. The closure of DCA for so long certainly hurt them even more than they were already hurting....

Opinions?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: What would have been diffrent had 9/11 not happened?

United would not have gotten the bailouts, and they'd have died the death that any failing company in a capitalist country should when you fail. (harsh? sorry)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

United would not have gotten the bailouts, and they'd have died the death that any failing company in a capitalist country should when you fail. (harsh? sorry)

Why do you hate them so much Phil? Were they the only carrier to get money? How do you know they would have failed if they didn't suffer two days of no business and lord knows how long of very slow buiness after 9/11? Are you this critical of DL or US? They are now the biggest airline in the world and with some good managment should prosper in the future. Deal with it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I know for a fact Continental would have kept their DC-10s for a few more years.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

TWA might still be flying??
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawrence
    TWA might still be flying??
    Mark TWA was already bought out by AA by the time 9/11 took place. The buyout took place in late 2000, 9/11 simply fast tracked intergrating TWA into AA's structure. Even a month before 9/11 TWA at JFK was only operating a dozen flight or so. TWA was a goner well before 9/11, 9/11 would have killed them if AA didn't buy them out.

Phil as for UAL, UAL would not have needed bailouts since the industry would not have been hit in the manner it was and more than likely would still be the World's second largest carrier as it was at the time of 9/11.

Here's my view of a few different things:

LGA would still be a mostly Boeing airport (727, 737, 757), and not the Embraer/Airbus facility it is today.

Northwest would probably still be a stand alone carrier.

United would still be flying 767's coast to coast, and would still fly LHR & NRT from JFK.

This last one I'm not as sure of, but....I doubt Embraer would be as large a player as they are today.

Thousands of families would still have their loved ones. I wouldn't have not gone to the two dozen funerals I did. Friends would still be here. I wouldn't be working for DHS as there wouldn't be one which means I probably wouldn't be on this board.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Why do you hate them so much Phil? Were they the only carrier to get money? How do you know they would have failed if they didn't suffer two days of no business and lord knows how long of very slow buiness after 9/11? Are you this critical of DL or US? They are now the biggest airline in the world and with some good managment should prosper in the future. Deal with it.
    I just don't like United and that's my opinion.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

No TSA. NO harassment at the airport. Not being treated like a criminal every time you fly. No "strip search" machines. I would be able to fly. Need I go on.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by coachrowsey
    No TSA. NO harassment at the airport. Not being treated like a criminal every time you fly. No "strip search" machines. I would be able to fly. Need I go on.
    Hmmmm with all my travel I never have been treated like a criminal...not once. I've seen some TSA that look like criminals but never have been treated as such. Do you act in a fashion that the raises suspicion with the TSA? If so then they are doing their job, you should calm down a bit when going through security. Its not a hard process, I can get through in as little as 30 seconds...it really comes down to the traveller's behavoir and attitude...not the TSA. In fact the TSA’s customer service has made marked improvement over the past few years that today I think they are a very professional bunch. They may not be perfect and I have had my opinion on them but I also give credit where credit is due.

You can fly....you choose not to for whatever reason that really doesn't exist in the real world. The TSA didn't stop you from flying....you did.

Oh if 9/11 never happened I also would have eventually visited the top of the WTC.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Mark TWA was already bought out by AA by the time 9/11 took place. The buyout took place in late 2000, 9/11 simply fast tracked intergrating TWA into AA's structure. Even a month before 9/11 TWA at JFK was only operating a dozen flight or so. TWA was a goner well before 9/11, 9/11 would have killed them if AA didn't buy them out.
    Shows how memory goes with age :lol: I thought the buyout was after 9/11. But - yes - you are right about the ex-TWA people - that did hurt them a whole lot. We had a friend who worked for the old TWA - he got past the last series of cuts that AA did on the TWA people - and that was counter staff that had joined before 1968 were safe - Bill joined in 1967. He stayed until his final retirement and still got all his benefits which was only right. He had lots of memories of the old TWA - sadly - Bill has passed and I will miss the stories he told...
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Re: What would have been different had 9/11 not happened?

You do know there were checkpoints before 9/11? You are not harassed, you receive the treatment you portray.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: What would have been different had 9/11 not happened?

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    You do know there were checkpoints before 9/11? You are not harassed, you receive the treatment you portray.
    Of course I know that, but water was not dangerous. kids snow globes weren't dangerous, no taking the shoes of, no stupid id checks. I'm out of here before I get more worked up.

To you & everyone who lost loved ones & friends on that day. I'm very sorry & you are in my thoughts & prayers.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

I'm going to have to stand on this side of the fence folks and agree.

And as for "marked improvement " well, when you hit bottom you can only go up"
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"