Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting inside LGA

Spotting inside LGA

I'll be flying out of LGA on Monday on Southwest. I was going to try and take some pictures while waiting for our flight. Any one have any recent issues at LGA, I'm wondering if its worth it to even try or should I just sit and play with my iPad while waiting.

Re: Spotting inside LGA

It may be worth TRYING, but Port does have a rule that prohibits photos of planes on their property. So if seen, you'll be stopped.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    It may be worth TRYING, but Port does have a rule that prohibits photos of planes on their property. So if seen, you'll be stopped.
    Good thing I asked... the camera will be staying inside the camera bag then!

I thought you are able to shoot from inside the terminals. I have not done it in awhile, but you used be able to use one of the courtesy phones, call the PA Police, tell them that you were there and they usually let you stay. sometimes an officer would come down and check you out.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I took a few pictures last year when I was there and didn't have any problems. Maybe I was just lucky though.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669
    I thought you are able to shoot from inside the terminals. I have not done it in awhile, but you used be able to use one of the courtesy phones, call the PA Police, tell them that you were there and they usually let you stay. sometimes an officer would come down and check you out.
    Last time I did that, police showed up to the escalator in the terminal and kicked us out....and they didn't understand why we "called the cops on our selves".

Port also has a rule prohibiting photography on their property.

I'm just gonna play it safe and not take any pictures...

The last thing I need is to get stopped and hear about it the rest of the trip from my wife! Lol :lol:

Phil, this is (sort of) "new" isn't it? The "rule" that is...

A few short years ago, any sort of formal communication (for lack of a better term) with relevant Port officials would result in the acknowlgment that there is *no* rule against photography on their property (albeit in "public" areas, areas not designated for no photography by TSA, etc.). Usually followed by the caveat that officers will exercise their discretion to stop you as needed (for reasons not having to do with any "no photography" rule per se).

I always gave Port Authority credit (from a strategic point of view) on that. Not having an actual no photography rule really helps evade winding up on the short end of a legal ruling (like NJ Transit, MTA etc.) and in the short and medium term at least probably helps them prevent photography if that is their desire. And, this would seem to be backed up by lack of "No Photography" signage - After all, if it is forbidden, then just put up signs, write out tickets to violators etc...

Now this appears different if there *is* a no photography rule. I am not doubting you at all Phil, but this is very interesting.

Rules that are not made up out of thin air, by definition just about, need to be written down someplace. Do you have any sources for this? If so, this could prove very helpful in the long run.

Thanks,
    Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

A couple years ago, I was specifically told by Port Authority officials, face-to-face and by email, that they do not allow photography on their property.

I do have some "interesting" emails, but nothing I'm allowed to share in public at this time, sorry to say.

NLovis

Rats. There goes my plan when I depart T8 in July. Oh well I shouldnt have problems at the other airports though :borat: This must be really recent like within the last month. I never saw any type of signage in T7 stating no photography allowed. And T7 is a really nice shot from the departure level for 13L arrivals. I never tried from inside the terminal (but i risked it outside) :mrgreen: but this sounds interesting. I guess i'll have to scour T7 one day soon and try to confirm this.

No problem Phil, and Thank You. Again, I 100% believe you.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Common sense in America wasn't always this bad was it? Being stopped from taking photos of PLANES from inside the terminal looking out??? Sounds like a good-for-nothing rule straight out of Cuba, Soviet Union, or North Korea.

There's many people who don't care or know anything about planes but still want to have a memory of their trip starting w/ a photo of the plane.

Totally ok if PD comes over and asks a question or two just in case but "STOPPING" someone like telling them to put the camera away? That makes zero sense.

I will be flying out of LGA on Monday 5/17 at 6:30am, and I was planning to take some shots from inside the terminal. Last year on 9/1/2009 I was flying to Europe from JFK and I took a lot of shot's from inside terminal 8 and was never approached or noticed any dirty looks from anyone. If I do get stopped will it just be a verbal warning to stop, or will they confiscate my memory card, because I kind of need that memory card since its a vacation trip. Any ideas?

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Metal484
    I will be flying out of LGA on Monday 5/17 at 6:30am, and I was planning to take some shots from inside the terminal. Last year on 9/1/2009 I was flying to Europe from JFK and I took a lot of shot's from inside terminal 8 and was never approached or noticed any dirty looks from anyone. If I do get stopped will it just be a verbal warning to stop, or will they confiscate my memory card, because I kind of need that memory card since its a vacation trip. Any ideas?
    Well if you want to try to take some a disposable would be a good test bed. If they take that its no big deal and you still have your memory card for the trip. If they dont take it then its all good and you at least have something.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal484
    Well if you want to try to take some a disposable would be a good test bed. If they take that its no big deal and you still have your memory card for the trip. If they dont take it then its all good and you at least have something.
    No go for the disposal, aside from bad quality photo's I want to also record some vid's which I can do on the Canon SX10 IS. I think I will just purchase another memory card just in case.