Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Authority Boss: LaGuardia Airport Should Be Torn Down

Tear down Queens' LaGuardia Airport

Port Authority boss Chris Ward said Tuesday that LaGuardia Airport should be torn down - and then completely rebuilt as soon as money is available.

The facility that whisks millions of travelers on their not-so-merry way is a chaotic and unwieldy mess that's not fit for the 21st century, Ward argued.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... z0mRUOnHNk

Re: Tear down Queens' LaGuardia Airport

That's because the airlines laughed at the PANYNJ when they said they wanted to build a new CTB and they want the airlines to pay for it. It is just another way to find someone else to pay the bill.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Port Authority Boss: LaGuardia Airport Should Be Torn Down

NYCAviation:
    Port Authority Boss: LaGuardia Airport Should Be Torn Down

“LaGuardia should not be the gateway for fliers into New York City; it should fundamentally be torn down and rebuilt again.” So says Chris Ward, Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the organization which manages LaGuardia and New York’s two other major airports. [FULL ARTICLE]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Port Authority Boss: LaGuardia Airport Should Be Torn Down

i agree that LGA needs major improvement, a rebuilt CTB and more taxiways but tearing it all down and starting anew isn't going to work.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

NLovis

Well how will they improve it then? Everything is so tight there that closing off a section will practically cripple the roads. Not to mention even worse chaos then there already is. Its a lose lose situation. Closing it down and rebuilding is the lesser of 2 evils. They can start from scratch and arrange everything in a better way. Close sections down and you cant change any taxi ways or runways around. So hence your stuck with what we currently have. It will be hard on the other airports here cause they will have to take the flights but we could manage. (as long as it isnt anything long term) Would be easier for us spotters cause we could gather at one palce and see more. I have spoken my logic/2 cents

The last plans out of the 150 original concepts were to knock down hangers 4 & 5. Build a parking garage then knock down the current parking garage. Building the new CTB in the current parking garage spot then build through the current CTB to keep it running.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    The last plans out of the 150 original concepts were to knock down hangers 4 & 5. Build a parking garage then knock down the current parking garage. Building the new CTB in the current parking garage spot then build through the current CTB to keep it running.
    Yea well from what is out here now it seems like that is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    Not if the PANYNJ is making such public statements. They are just looking for another wallet to pick.
    Ronald Reagan

NLovis

Not if the PANYNJ is making such public statements. They are just looking for another wallet to pick.
    I would imagine so. They dont want to pay for anything

They could be looking for another Terminal 4 type deal. I'd be okay with that.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I agree, the facilities (except maybe the US terminal and Marine Air Terminal) need a complete overhaul. CTB is gross!
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I would imagine so. They dont want to pay for anything
    Not so much that they don't want to, it's more like they can't really afford to. Not to mention major airport authorities rarely foot the entire bill for an airline-use facility. Typically they try to get a few signatory airlines to put a large part of the money into it.

As usual the Port looks for someone else to pay for their issues. Never a dime from theri pocket unless a work union forces it from them. Someone stated that the US terminal is in good shape. I encourage you to hang out in the food court during a rain storm. It rains THROUGH the terminal. That building needs to be gutted too. LGA needs more taxiway space close in to the 31 side of the field. A taxiway paralelling 31/13 on the bay side really. That would alleviate a great deal of the summer issues with on time performance off the gates at LGA. Between 1300 and 2000 in the summer when the pop corn thunderstorms start appearing west of the city and near PHL LGA becomes hell on a runway for the airlines pushing departures. If they build out along 31/13 on the north side you could free Alpha up to get arrivals to the gate faster and get departures off the ramp/gate faster because the arrivals could flow on Alpha while the departures could flow down Bravo, hold short of 13/31 and cross to the new taxiway between the 31/13 departures/arrivals. To do that though they also need to account for a new intersection on 4/22 or your going to have to cross back over 13/31 at some point before the deck. I think that this is what Port should focus on. Controlling on the East side of the field during the summer was a nightmare when I was at LGA. A few of the other members will probably vattest to that whom I shared the cab with. If you have ever flown Delta or US or Continental and Air Canada on a summer afternoon from LGA you know what I am talking about. AA gets a bit more leeway on the issue because they have a bit more space to juggle with around the turn.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The US Airways terminal is only about 15 years old, isn't it?

It is well know the Port has taken the monies made at the airports and put it into the tunnels, bridges and PATH and not back into the Airports. There is no reason LGA facilities should be in the shape they are. I have the unfortunate pleasure of being in the bowels of the airport often in electrical/mechanical rooms. They are scary. Constant roaming leaks, heating and air conditioning issues and the latest is the electrical outages both American and Delta have experienced.

I would love to see new facilities at LGA. I could then position my equipment the way it should be and stop shoe horning it into archways and tight hallways.
    Ronald Reagan