Thread: New Camera Ideas

NLovis

New Camera Ideas

Ok I need some help picking out a good camera to use. Anybody have some ideas on what I should get?

Re: New Camera Ideas

More details?

Budget, features wanted, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    More details?

Budget, features wanted, etc.?
    Oh Geesh... Why did you do that? I was just going to say choose this!
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=19584

with this
    http://www.canon-europe.com/for_home..._USM/index.asp
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

While 600mm might be nice some spotting locations need a tad less; with 600mm you might get aircraft cut off.

I would recommend a non-prime lens with the same reach like the Sigma 200-500mm F2.8.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/200-500m ... x-dg-sigma

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    While 600mm might be nice some spotting locations need a tad less; with 600mm you might get aircraft cut off.

I would recommend a non-prime lens with the same reach like the Sigma 200-500mm F2.8.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/200-500m ... x-dg-sigma
    HEY, DON'T MESS WITH MY DREAMS!!! lolol

If I was serious, I would say the 100-400 with a 1.4x multiplier
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

NLovis

As far as budget goes, it shouldnt be much of an issue. Features? Something that will be top notch and I wont be limited like I am now. Also something to beat my worst enemy.... blurr.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    As far as budget goes, it shouldnt be much of an issue.
    In that case: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... gital.html

:mrgreen:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    As far as budget goes, it shouldnt be much of an issue.
    In that case: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... gital.html

:mrgreen:
    :lol: For that price it better take perfect shots

You can have the best camera in the world.....but the good shooting is up to the shooter.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

No camera will fix "blurr", that's something the photographer has to overcome. That takes time, practice, and lots of shots. One can have the greatest camera with the best lens ever, but great shots are not made by the camera. They are made by the one behind the lens.

Do your research, listen to people who own Canon cameras, listen to those that have Nikon. You can even listen to those with Sony & Olympus cameras. Look at what each manufacturer has to offer. Just remember, YOU are the ultimate user of the camera. make sure YOU like what you are going to buy. With a P&S, you dont like what you bought, you spend another $200 and you have something different. With a DSLR, you need to buy lenses, SPECIFIC to the camera maker. Even if you buy a third party lens (Tamron, Tokina, Sigma) they each have a different mount for each body type.

So do your homework. Go to B&H or Adorama, and see the camera's up close. See how they feel in your hand. Ask to have a zoom lens on each, and go through the same motions. You are the ultimate user of the camera, and asking on this forum you will get pro Canon, and pro Nikon answers. But the cameras we all use, are what we are comfortable with. You have to find your own comfort level and go with it.

Take your time, do your research, and when you do make that purchase, read the user manual from cover to cover...TWICE...before you even start shooting. Then, keep the manual with you at all times. You never know when you are going to refer to it.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Also something to beat my worst enemy.... blurr.
    As Phil and Matt have said blur is something caused by you, not the camera. I hope after this purchase you still invest the time necessary to improve your skills. As for what to buy without a budget I would go to a store and try Nikon and Canon and hold both to see what you like. You have a keyboard in front of you so research the specs, performance and results of others. There is a ton of info out there go find it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

NLovis

I can research all I want but the best info is from the ppl who use the camera. I'm looking for what to advoid what to go for, that kind of stuff. I dont want to spend alot of mony to buy the wrong thing.

I can research all I want but the best info is from the ppl who use the camera. I'm looking for what to advoid what to go for, that kind of stuff. I dont want to spend alot of mony to buy the wrong thing.
    Again, be cautious in this area. Ask as many guys as you like, but ultimately, you need to go to a store and hold the camera for yourself to see what you think. 49% of the guys here swear by Canon, 49% of the guys here swear by Nikon, 1% Sony, & 1% Olympus (or something really close to that).

Remember camera bodies are only one part of the equation. Good glass will make a picture on the Canon XT look just as good as one from a 7D. Same for Nikon, good glass on a D70 will give you similar results to a D200. Of course, there are some variable to consider, frames per second, etc. But on a static shot, there should be almost no difference with good glass.

Honestly Nick. Based on the photos the folks here have posted, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, will all give you good results. You just have to learn whatever it is you buy. When you get your camera, come out shooting with the guys, and we will be happy to help you.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    When you get your camera, come out shooting with the guys, and we will be happy to help you.
    Trust me thats what i'm planning. Its what i've been planning for awhile now. Just never had the camera to.