Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volga Dnepr IL-76 JFK Photos

Volga Dnepr IL-76 JFK Photos

Went to JFK to get the re-engined IL-76 for VDA- (IL-76TD-90VD). I was hoping for a hybrid or another airline flying for VDA as I already shot a VDA IL-76 several years back. I guess getting a IL-76 with the new engine was nice but I really like the old engines better. As always the classic rain/cloud, fog was there to greet me at the airport.
    Senga

I shot the VDA IL-76 at SDF in 1999- original engines.

Re: Volga Dnepr IL-76 JFK Pix

Great catch Senga - even if the weather was crappy!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Senga, you never cease to amaze. Nice work, even in those conditions.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

what amazes me is that after all this time, all the soviet-designed airplanes can't get away from the basic old school aeroflot colors. senga, nice shots as always.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

The thing was in PDX yesterday
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

What else would they paint them in? I love the old school colors. I hope they never change. Adding "modern" paint schemes to an odd-looking bird like that would ruin it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: Volga Dnepr IL-76 JFK Photos

I've been hoping that monster would visit us down here but no luck. I like your older shot a lot more Senga, captured with slide film which really makes it pop :borat:

I think the new ones are PS-90 engines, either way they are as handsome as a bald chia pet and make the 76 look clumsy, the arched pods are the ugliest part. The old slimmer powerplants were way more elegant but now banned in the west (save for maybe VIP related visits) thanks to the silly stage III noise regulations. These new engines might even be stage IV compliant.

Regardless the IL-76 looks great and in this livery even more. Only similarity to old Aeroflot I can see is the Russian flag. To my taste VDA has one of the best schemes in the cargo biz these days.

NLovis

As always senga delivers. I wonder if it is still around i'd go and attempt some of my "better" night shots :mrgreen:

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

nice catch Senga!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Program Coordinator

The thing was in PDX yesterday
    There was an AN124 at PDX but no IL76.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    I wonder if it is still around i'd go and attempt some of my "better" night shots :mrgreen:
    Yea fun events for me while attempting that. As I leave I spot some lightning oh goody something heading our way possibly. Inbetween T4 and T5 it starts to rain, expected. I turn on my wipers.... wait my wipers arent moving. Swell the wipers on my van stopped working. Typical evergreen equipment never works :? So now i'm pulled over inbetween T4 and T5 next to the JB 100th A320 (sitting for the night). I call back saying the wipers are broken, i'm told if they find GSE they will send somebody.... wait FIND GSE? Again typical evergreen eagle GSE slacking off and not working. Well I sit for 10min before stepping out into the rain to check the wipers. Turns out the motor is working but something snapped, just great -_- but I can manually move the wipers by hand. 5min later I clear the windshield and drive. I drive back from T4/5 to building 87 without wipers. Oh did I mention the transmission on this van is also fd up? Apparantly been that way for 2+ years and GSE wont fix it. Anybody else see accident waiting to happen?

WOW :shock: Great stuff as always!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Nothin like complaining about your company on a public forum! haha

I assume this plane left already?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks x 10,
    I have to agree those VDA colors are really nice. Those Russian Cargo airlines usually seem to prefer nice liveries and logos to go along with it. Lots of chevrons (I love chevrons).

Those new engines are the IL-76 version of the KC-135 with their bulking CFM engines. Big bulky and don't fit the planes dimensions. That being said the IL-76 is one of the most attractive aircraft out there (IMHO) Its competitor the C-141 just are beautiful.

Matt that's true lots of Soviet aircraft are still flying around in the basic Aeroflot colors from when they used to fly for the air force. They started pushing them into the civil markets around the world removing the hammer and sickle to retaining the AFL basic cheat line. Some airlines have removed the AFL colors like ADB and VDA but other airlines from around the world just incorporated it into their own liveries- Its a very generic livery and is easy to work with.

Senga

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Nothin like complaining about your company on a public forum! haha

I assume this plane left already?
    I wouldnt know. I never got far enough to even see if there was anything on the cargo area :lol: