Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sikorsky S-58 sighting Friday April 23rd

Sikorsky S-58 sighting Friday April 23rd

fyi, Any interested rotor-heads, I noticed a Sikorsky S-58 over Staten Island around 11am - Noontime, heading North (more or less) - so presumably see-able in NYC & elsewhere on Friday.

Too far away to recognize any particular livery and to be sure, I have seen these before in our area, but apart from their brief stint as tour choppers in NYC, the type hasn't been a common sight for several decades, so figured I'd post it....

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Re: Sikorsky S-58 sighting Friday April 23rd

Maybe a construction ship in transit somewhere?

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

thanks tom! second sighting i've heard of, would love to get my hands on one myself!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Yeah, they're just not around much. I remember seeing one - large blue stripe along the side, land at JRB (Wall Street) back in the late 70s, and a bunch of suits got off...it was operating as a VIP - albeit perhaps for construction company execs (or perhaps not as it had no titles). I was hoping to see that one share the pier with Islanders S-62 and NY Airways S-61 at the time, but it didn't stay too long.

Saw another one departing JRA West 30th Street Heliport in I want to say the late 90s, but too far away to see the livery. Whenever it was, it did not coincide with the time of the S-58s in the sightseeing industry, or I would've written it off as one of them.

Then several, anachronistically, wound up serving as tour choppers (under New York Helicopter titles and I believe another name later or before) at some late date, and those were daily if not hourly flights in our area, but apart from that, I just don't see them. One made it into the movie Sum of All Fears disguised as NYPD.

Dwindling numbers.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

FYI that S-58 was parked at KMGJ (Orange County Airport, NY) all day saturday... tail number N902CH its got the upgraded PT6 conversion...
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Thanks Laxgoaly -

Found a shot of it on Jetphotos from Linden NJ..

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6537050
    "Keep 'em Flying"

[quote="Tom_Turner"]
    Saw another one departing JRA West 30th Street Heliport in I want to say the late 90s, but too far away to see the livery. Whenever it was, it did not coincide with the time of the S-58s in the sightseeing industry, or I would've written it off as one of them. <
    Then several, anachronistically, wound up serving as tour choppers (under New York Helicopter titles and I believe another name later or before) at some late date, and those were daily if not hourly flights in our area, but apart from that, I just don't see them. One made it into the movie Sum of All Fears disguised as NYPD.<

Island/NY Helicopters flew the S-58T from the early 80s until around late 2001 for sightseeing and for the airport shuttle.
    The flew the S-58 under the name of National Helicopters before the company went under from bankruptcy and the
    East 34st Heliport was shutdown for awhile.
    My wife and I actually flew in one from East 34st to JFK as we started our honeymoon to Hawaii. They were quite the fixture on the Manhattan skyline for years. I believe they had around 3 of those ships. The skeleton of one lies just west of
    Runway 3-2 at FRG. At least one went to Midwest Helicopters in Illinois.
    The S-58T was not in "The Sum Of All Fears" but in "The Peacemaker" (1997 with George Clooney & Nicole Kidman)

Aris Helicopters in Cal. flies 3/4 of them.
    http://arishelicopters.com/

Midwest flies them also
    http://midwesthelicopters.com/index.html

I took this pic back in Oct 2001 in the National colors
    http://www.helispot.com/photo/0003384

It was still at KMGJ today...
    Student Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Island/NY Helicopters flew the S-58T from the early 80s until around late 2001 for sightseeing and for the airport shuttle. The flew the S-58 under the name of National Helicopters before the company went under from bankruptcy and the East 34st Heliport was shutdown for awhile. My wife and I actually flew in one from East 34st to JFK as we started our honeymoon to Hawaii. They were quite the fixture on the Manhattan skyline for years. I believe they had around 3 of those ships. The skeleton of one lies just west of Runway 3-2 at FRG. At least one went to Midwest Helicopters in Illinois. The S-58T was not in "The Sum Of All Fears" but in "The Peacemaker" (1997 with George Clooney & Nicole Kidman)

Aris Helicopters in Cal. flies 3/4 of them.
    http://arishelicopters.com/
    Thanks Gerard.. yes, thats right, it was Peacemaker and not Sum of All Fears. I always wondered about the one at FRG, if it was one of the same. I know one of the skeletons lingered at the East Side for a while... was it at 60th Street?

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Hi ! I saw this and she comming back yesterday I've shoot her from staten island
    Photos coming soon !!!

[quote="Tom_Turner"][ I know one of the skeletons lingered at the East Side for a while... was it at 60th Street?

Mmmm not sure about that one.

...its still here @ KMGJ, nobody up here at the airport knows why its here or when its leaving
    Student Pilot

The Sikorsky S-58 number 35

Taken from Staten Island the 04/23/10

Wow, that is not an S-58, but nice catch...it's a Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion (i think). I've never seen one in those colors. Maybe for a movie shoot?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Wow, that is not an S-58, but nice catch...it's a Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion (i think). I've never seen one in those colors. Maybe for a movie shoot?
    It is a Super Stallion, its part of HMX-1