Thread: Marine One @ Downtown Manhattan Heliport - 4/22/10

Marine One @ Downtown Manhattan Heliport - 4/22/10

Marine One and all its glory...need I say more?

Seaport Approach?

Here it is...NOT, this was Decoy 1

THIS is the real one

President Obama was the one in the center (where the lens was pointing at)

NYPD closed off pedestrian access to South Street about 10:30AM, viewers can still see most of the action on the East River bikeway, it was only about 20 people or so when Marine One touched down, NYPD don't seem to mind the cameras pointing at the helicopter, but I can assure you they were keeping an eye on us!

I am totally amazed by the speed of Secret Service, Marine One touched down at 1035, but 1039 the limo was already on FDR drive.

Oh yeah, the haze totally kills, but I'm happy with most of the pictures came out alright.

Re: Marine One @ Downtown Manhattan Heliport - 4/22/10

Good stuff right there!!!! :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

love this shot. great work!!! very difficult conditions, but you yielded great results.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Wow great coverage of the event.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

NYPD closed off pedestrian access to South Street about 10:30AM, viewers can still see most of the action on the East River bikeway, it was only about 20 people or so when Marine One touched down, NYPD don't seem to mind the cameras pointing at the helicopter, but I can assure you they were keeping an eye on us!

First off AMAZING PICS!!! Wow this group had it covered from JFK to JRB SWEET!!! :D
    And more important :) They actually allowed you to stand on the pathway between the FDR and the river right
    by the water? Or were you on the other side of the FDR?

Thank you everyone for the comments, Now you all owe me a ramp tour! :mrgreen:

And more important :) They actually allowed you to stand on the pathway between the FDR and the river right
    Yep they allow us on the water side, also, they didn't close the NY Waterway ferry terminal, there was a ESU truck stationed there, but nothing was taped/closed off.

Quote Originally Posted by N221UA
    Thank you everyone for the comments, Now you all owe me a ramp tour! :mrgreen:

Yep they allow us on the water side, also, they didn't close the NY Waterway ferry terminal, there was a ESU truck stationed there, but nothing was taped/closed off.
    Wow that is very cool. I'm surprised but like you said they probably had many eyes on you. See any laser dots
    on you? :lol:
    Being that close as those big machines land is awesome. Thanks.

I was surprised by how the press chinooks Sea Knights (thanks Gerard!) did the approach to the heliport, one flew directly overhead and we were greeted with the heart pumping rotor sounds and the fresh smell of kerosene. Crowds were thrilled when they saw that.

I probably got a pretty good spot, I had a 18-200mm lens with me so it wasn't an "eye catcher", someone further away from me had a 400mm lens, not sure if he was a NYCAer though.

Excelllllent.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

[quote="N221UA"]I was surprised by how the press chinooks did the approach to the heliport<

Sea Knights, not Chinooks. :)