Thread: Getting a new camera! Need advice!

Getting a new camera! Need advice!

So it looks like I have finally outgrown my Sony and my parents have volunteered to buy me a new camera for my graduation! Long story short, we are looking at the Nikon D90 vs. the Canon T2i. Which would you get and why? They look pretty comparable in specs and price, so I guess I am wondering what differentiates one from the other in your eyes.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Re: Getting a new camera! Need advice!

Congrats, Andy. Of course, asking a question like that in a place like this is asking for trouble - all the Canon guys will say "Get a Canon", all the Nikon guys will say "Get a Nikon" and someone will tell you "Forget that digital stuff, get a film camera"

I don't think you really want to make the decision solely on the basis of one body vs. another - take a look at their entire lineup of lenses and other accessories. Most people, especially if they are even halfway serious, will upgrade bodies over time, but a solid set of quality lenses will last you for years. Look at what is available, what kind of coverage they have in the focal lengths you typically shoot, how important is "fast glass" to you, how is image quality from the various lenses in their line up, what other accessories do they have that you might want in the future. You're not buying a camera, you are picking a system. Unless you are willing to sell off a bag full of lenses and start over, once you choose one or the other, you will likely stay with it.

Oh, and when you've done all that, get a Canon! :D

Great news Andy!! And graduation is that close????? Where has the year gone!!!

I've helped a colleague at work with his Nikon D90 and I must say I'm very impressed with the quality and general workings of the D90. As John says, Canon people will say "get a Canon!", Nikon people will say "get a Nikon!" - the best is do the comparison and go with what you are happy with.

BTW - go with a Nikon :)
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Everyone wants to get my 40D so they can take pictures like me...because ya know it all about the camera...
    I think you should get this

just to piss people off! :lol:

(My sister in law thinks her camera is not working right because it does not take pictures like min....SERIOUSLY!
    I told her it is understanding how it works and knowing every option....she thinks I am talking BS!) She now
    thinks it is my flash and wants to get one now. :lol:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Program Coordinator

Canon all the way!

But seriously Moose is right on...you're not just investing in a body - you're investing in all the lenses that will inevitably go with it.
    I'm happy with Canon's lens offerings...but you'll inevitably hear from someone who'll say Nikons are better...then someone will counter that Canon's kick more ass...then someone else will say screw them both: go Zeiss.

i agree...i shoot canon and i love it....though i will always buy canon (never nikon but POSSIBLY zeiss if i can afford it...) it is my inclination to believe that canon has nikon beat in the glass arena, though nikon very well may be leading in the body arena. both make wonderful products, so it's all about the form and function you want. show me a thousand shots from teh same photographer shooting both nikon and canon similar equipment and i HIGHLY doubt i'll be able to distinguish between them.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

So just an update, I made a trip to Best Buy yesterday to compare the D90 and the T2i side by side, and the Nikon won hands down. I was really disappointed with the T2i, the body was very small (even for my relatively small hands), it felt plasticky and cheap, and the user interface was not intuitive at all. What took me 5 minutes to figure out on the Canon took 60 seconds on the Nikon, which felt much more durable and professionally built. The D90 just felt right in my hands, the way a camera should feel. With price and feature-sets just about equal, I'm convinced the D90 is the right choice for me.

So the next decision is telephotos: Nikon makes a 70-300VR for around $550, and their next step-up telephoto is their 80-400VR which is significantly more pricey, but a great lens I have used before. (I am aware of a few 3rd party offerings, but I am really concerned about sharpness & image quality). Which would you go for? For you Nikon users, which lenses do you currently own and use for spotting as well as general photography?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Andy

I got a Tamron 28-300VR from B&H for around $640 - ever since I put it on the camera, I have not taken it off - it is all I need - even in NY the last time - it was perfect for the mounds, 4L (4R and the Bayswater 13R departures were a little far, but, those weren't the norm). I use it for everything - home pictures, aviation pictures, vacation pictures.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/