Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big Tim #70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    494

    F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Here is a video from what appears to be an incident in 1995 involving an F-15A from the 110th FS at Whiteman.








    I know it's not new, but it's the first time I've come across it.

    Pretty interesting (& heated) discussion about it here:

    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo.../85434/#menu27
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

  2. #2

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    wow....that's freakin' intense....does anyone know what happened to the crew? It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

  3. #3
    Senior Member moose135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,040

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...
    They teach you that in Air Force pilot school.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cancidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Posts
    6,088

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...
    They teach you that in Air Force pilot school.
    army too... you guys aren't that special... :lol:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big Tim #70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    494

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    wow....that's freakin' intense....does anyone know what happened to the crew? It's unbelievable how calm they are riding the whole thing out and not even sounding like their hearts are racing...

    Check out the forum link I also posted.

    Apparently, the pilot safely ejected once he got the plane down on the runway.

    Moose & cancidas, I know you guys are trained for this kind of contingency but I'm still amazed the poise of the pilot here. I also laughed a little bit at the controller who tried to vector him and told him to clear the runway to which he responded, "I'm getting this plane down as soon as possible and then exiting, have Fire/Rescue ON THE RUNWAY!"

    Hats off to all of our aviators!
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

  6. #6
    Senior Member moose135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,040

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    It's the "Chuck Yeager Syndrome" Tim - no matter what happens, you always want to sound cool on the radio.

  7. #7

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    lol...yeah, as long as you sound calm on the radio nothing else matters. I had an engine failure in a 152 when I was 18 and ended up landing in a guy's back yard. I was just as calm through the entire thing, but even after having been through that I'd like to think I'd at least be breathing a bit heavier if I had an engine fire that wouldn't go out.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big Tim #70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    494

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    lol...yeah, as long as you sound calm on the radio nothing else matters. I had an engine failure in a 152 when I was 18 and ended up landing in a guy's back yard. I was just as calm through the entire thing, but even after having been through that I'd like to think I'd at least be breathing a bit heavier if I had an engine fire that wouldn't go out.
    I don't know, an engine failure in a single engine aircraft I would think would try the nerves a bit... :shock:
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

  9. #9
    Senior Member cancidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Posts
    6,088

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    lol...yeah, as long as you sound calm on the radio nothing else matters. I had an engine failure in a 152 when I was 18 and ended up landing in a guy's back yard. I was just as calm through the entire thing, but even after having been through that I'd like to think I'd at least be breathing a bit heavier if I had an engine fire that wouldn't go out.
    I don't know, an engine failure in a single engine aircraft I would think would try the nerves a bit... :shock:
    it may sound corny but when stuff like that happens you don't have time to panic. i've only had one actual emergency inflight in my career so far and i did what i had to do to get the helo safly on the ground and my pax out.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Magnolia, TX
    Posts
    330

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Remember it was also an F-15 that got it's whole wing sliced off...and the pilot didn't even notice until after he landed the plane.

  11. #11

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    oooooh was this the same one where they had that mid-air and the pilot made it out of the spin and made that landing? I thought I saw a special on the history channel about it but they stopped on the runway.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Magnolia, TX
    Posts
    330

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    oooooh was this the same one where they had that mid-air and the pilot made it out of the spin and made that landing? I thought I saw a special on the history channel about it but they stopped on the runway.
    No, that incident (the same one where the wing was sliced off) took place in Israel.

  13. #13

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    I'm surprised the cockpit video survived going off the runway and breaking up.

  14. #14
    Moderator USAF Pilot 07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,669

    Re: F15 with engine fire and nasty landing (1995)

    Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    i've only had one actual emergency inflight in my career so far and i did what i had to do to get the helo safly on the ground and my pax out.
    Only one? I've had 100+.............. in the sim :lol:

    I've only had 2 real IFEs so far though (in my short career)... Luckily nothing major though *knock on wood*

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •