Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UK + Northern Europe Airspace Shut Down Due to Volcanic Ash

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: UK + Northern Europe Airspace Shut Down Due to Volcanic Ash

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    Can someone post some links to show that this looks like from the ground on the mainland?. I have not been able to find a single image from the UK, Northern Europe etc

Senga
    spoke to a friend living in dublin this morning, they haven't seen anything on the ground as yet though the airports are still closed. BBC and CNN video show ash covering everything on the ground in iceland downwind of the volcano. a reporter wiped the hood of a car, there had to be an inch of ash on it. looks almost like dirty snow.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Was just talking to my mother in North East England, and they have not had much ash so far, but it's starting to fall now and they had a small layer of ash on the car this afternoon - I guess you could say prevailing winds blow!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

I think I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. I've lived under a flight path all my life and have never witnessed a sky THIS empty!

At around 06:30am there were reports that 90% of flights were cancelled in the UK, with ABZ, GLA and EDI closed, and planes grounded at MAN, STN, LHR and LTN. As the day went on a lot of planes were grounded in Europe too. I found it bizarre.

Eurocontrol says it 'hopes to have at least 50 percent of flights in Europe operating Monday'.

I'm meant to be starting flight school in 2 weeks, a lot of lessons have been cancelled. Eyja better clear up her acts!

While this is going to cost airlines money this is boosting our revenues across the boards now. What is going air cargo is going at a steep rate and if it is not time sensative it is going ocean which is really helping the steamship lines make money. Deck space is at a premium on ships for the next little while. Busy busy busy........
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I love the thread someone started in the A.net Photography forum..."The weather is beautiful today, I think I'll stop on down to LHR for some spotting...oh wait..." :D

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by aeropup
    I think I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. I've lived under a flight path all my life and have never witnessed a sky THIS empty!

At around 06:30am there were reports that 90% of flights were cancelled in the UK, with ABZ, GLA and EDI closed, and planes grounded at MAN, STN, LHR and LTN. As the day went on a lot of planes were grounded in Europe too. I found it bizarre.

Eurocontrol says it 'hopes to have at least 50 percent of flights in Europe operating Monday'.

I'm meant to be starting flight school in 2 weeks, a lot of lessons have been cancelled. Eyja better clear up her acts!
    Look at the past of this volcano. If that is any incication for this eruption Katla will erupt as well and they say its going to be even worse. This isnt over yet. Not by a long shot the way I see it.

I just passed EWR on the way home from DC and saw a Jet A330 take off, however there is still a Jet 77W parked on a remote stand along with a few other European aircraft, the Delta 763 to AMS and an Air India 77W.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    I just passed EWR on the way home from DC and saw a Jet A330 take off, however there is still a Jet 77W parked on a remote stand along with a few other European aircraft, the Delta 763 to AMS and an Air India 77W.
    Yea same can be said over here. Luft has an 747 and A330 sitting at Fed terf and AF has a 330 there as well. Going to try and look around shortly see whats floating around.

According to Flightaware the 9W A330 departed for Athens. I guess they are ferrying the aircraft back to India or flying to DEL/BOM via ATH.

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    According to Flightaware the 9W A330 departed for Athens. I guess they are ferrying the aircraft back to India or flying to DEL/BOM via ATH.
    They're making tech stops in Athens in both directions.

SAS should be leaving EWR tonight also if it hasn't already.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

NLovis

Well i'm back and there is alot sitting. 3 Delta LR's at T4, 1 LOT 767, Luft A330 and 747, AF 777 and 2 A330's, Finair A330, AA 777, Jordanian A340, EL AL 747, Air Lingus A330, AF A380 at T1, 4 Swiss A330,s and KLM 747 at T4

Nice article in Newsday about LI's helping out.
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/lier ... -1.1868293

I'm thinking of maybe heading out to JFK tomorrow and doing something.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

There are some pretty interesting photos up on Airliners now taken at IAH, FRA, and SFO showing some of the stranded aircraft:

To go into more detail, the aircraft I saw at EWR were:

Lufthansa A330-300 + A340-600
    Air France A330-200
    Air India 777-300ER
    Delta 767-300
    Virgin Atlantic A340-300 + 747-400
    Jet Airways 777-300ER
    Open Skies 757-200 x2
    Privatair 737-800 (pushed back for departure)
    Numerous Continental 757/767 aircraft parked

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

I am sure you all know but Jay Selman is stuck in London and has booked a boat to France. God help him it has to be a horrible ordeal
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

BREAKING NEWS: Large plume indicates second Icelandic volcano, Hekla, has begun erupting
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture