Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK 4/7-4/8/10

NLovis

JFK 4/7-4/8/10

Not much I have that is good and I havent been able to spot much cause EIA has been busy. So humping my few shots into this 1 thread.
    Strike Bird N485EV on her last departure from JFK for the next month 1/2. Shes due in for a C check tomorrow.

And now to the roll of film. 3 useable non blurry shots only. MY fiddling with the lense and trying out Kodac 200 ISO didnt mix well at all. Unedited.

I like this next shot really well

Hmm what is your take on this one? Blurry or acceptable?

Re: JFK 4/7-4/8/10

Define acceptable. Looks blurry to me.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Only the Evergreen tail shot is not blurry.

true... define acceptable... to me they all looks blurry unfortunately.... evergreen tail shot pretty cool....
    Living The Dream...

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Nick, as we hinted to in the other thread you really need to start from square one here. I would put the camera in the closet for awhile and hit the books. Read about proper lighting, composition and the rest of the fundamentals needed to produce some good captures. The pics you posted in this thread lack any solid fundamental as you paid no attention to light or framed them very well and or don't have the gear to get closer to the subject. If you want to seriously improve you have to get a grasp of what makes a good capture and what is needed to do it. It seems like you are just clicking away without any understanding of what is happening or what the conditions are and posting pics looking for the magic potion here when what you need to do is get a good basic book and begin to read how a reflex camera works and how to use it under the right conditions. Again you said you wanted advice so hit the books or even youtube and start to bone up on basic photography.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Still shooting with the sun in your face and you've been advised numerous times not to... sigh

1-For some reason you take better pics at night than daytime. 2-The Evergreen tail has a future with a bit of editing. 3-That photo lab is giving you ugly colored scans. Agree 100% with what NIKV just told you.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi757
    Still shooting with the sun in your face and you've been advised numerous times not to... sigh

1-For some reason you take better pics at night than daytime. 2-The Evergreen tail has a future with a bit of editing. 3-That photo lab is giving you ugly colored scans. Agree 100% with what NIKV just told you.
    Yea idk if its what i'm buying or how they are doing it but they arent as great as they should be. Yea sadly from my position I face the sun after a bit which I cant really help too well. As I said i tried a different setting on the lense then what I used in the past and also used 200 ISO instead of 400. Once I get my check I can get what I need. I havent gotten my 1st check yet so i got nothing to spend with atm.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    Yea idk if its what i'm buying or how they are doing it but they arent as great as they should be. Yea sadly from my position I face the sun after a bit which I cant really help too well. As I said i tried a different setting on the lense then what I used in the past and also used 200 ISO instead of 400. Once I get my check I can get what I need. I havent gotten my 1st check yet so i got nothing to spend with atm.
    It's not what you are buying Nick, or what they are doing, it's what you are doing. It's very simple, if you have the sun in your face, unless it's a super rare catch, don't shoot it. You are wasting film, and will only post garbage. Sorry to be blunt, but you are not getting the hints. We have seen a million AA & DL shots, showing us more with the sun behind the subject doesn't show you are improving.

I know it's hard, and you want to get better shots...so listen to what the guys here are saying. If the conditions aren't right, dont shoot. No settings in the world will help a backlit shot. Unless of course you own a flash the size of a car. If you are staying with film, if you are shooting in bright sun conditions, stay away from the ISO 400 film. That will just lead to more grain, and you will not get much acceptable. Now, if you are shooting at night, then the ISO 400 is a good choice, just make sure you are using a tripod or something rock steady to get the clear shots. Hint, a ground tractor is good, but make sure it's off, as the engine vibrations will shake the camera just enough to kill the shot.

When I used to shoot film I ALWAYS shot ISO 100 film, no need for anything faster and I have been shooting for 20+ years, only went digital in 2005. Fuji Reala is some of the best if you are going to shoot film. People think because they are shooting an airplane moving they need ISO 400 film, you don't, try ISO 100, amazing differences....sharp, no grain, great colors, etc, etc, etc.
    That being said, composition, light, no shooting into the sun and everything mentioned above is equally important. If you are doing anything different, it better be creative and different looking and on the good side. Look at peoples photos they upload here, jetphotos.net, airliners.net, that is how photos should look. Look a the lighting, composition, subjects. Digital is nice because you can do some editing and fixing, but you still have to start with a good blueprint.
    Most of all....have fun!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Hey NLovis,

I saw the comments here and have to chime in with Nick and John. Both are giving you good advice, advice that I wish I had gotten years ago.

These past few weeks, I've been digging out my old VHS-C videos. You see, I am into planes but also loved the old diesels of the LIRR. I spent a lot of time in the latter half of the decade filming LIRR diesels where ever I could on the island.

I'm not watching them and am so pissed at myself at getting backlit shots and bad angles and stuff like that. I wish I was armed with the knowledge you are getting now. Had I known these basics, I'd be able to appreciate these videos even more.

So its not what you have, but what you do with it. And as John said, unless its a once in a lifetime shot, dont even bother taking a pic.

All the best wishes, mirrodie
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by lear45
    When I used to shoot film I ALWAYS shot ISO 100 film, no need for anything faster and I have been shooting for 20+ years, only went digital in 2005. Fuji Reala is some of the best if you are going to shoot film. People think because they are shooting an airplane moving they need ISO 400 film, you don't, try ISO 100, amazing differences....sharp, no grain, great colors, etc, etc, etc.
    That being said, composition, light, no shooting into the sun and everything mentioned above is equally important. If you are doing anything different, it better be creative and different looking and on the good side. Look at peoples photos they upload here, jetphotos.net, airliners.net, that is how photos should look. Look a the lighting, composition, subjects. Digital is nice because you can do some editing and fixing, but you still have to start with a good blueprint.
    Most of all....have fun!
    Yea next problem. where can I find ISO 100 nowadays? lowest I see is 200. Yea after this roll I see I need to change the spot i'm at once I can drive on the AOA again.

[/quote]Yea next problem. where can I find ISO 100 nowadays? lowest I see is 200. Yea after this roll I see I need to change the spot i'm at once I can drive on the AOA again.[/quote]

You are not looking very hard if you can't find it. Adorama has it($4.25/roll), B&H has it($4.25/roll), eBay has it($ varies), many places have it(Fuji Reala ISO100 that is). You have to look. Google is an amazing thing. Adorama and B&H are in YOUR area.

NLovis

Yea next problem. where can I find ISO 100 nowadays? lowest I see is 200. Yea after this roll I see I need to change the spot i'm at once I can drive on the AOA again.[/quote]

You are not looking very hard if you can't find it. Adorama has it($4.25/roll), B&H has it($4.25/roll), eBay has it($ varies), many places have it(Fuji Reala ISO100 that is). You have to look. Google is an amazing thing. Adorama and B&H are in YOUR area.[/quote]
    Ah didnt know. Figured nobody had film anymore. I have been buying from CVS dusty boxes of film. Well now that I know if i dont get a camera anytime soon i'll buy some. On a final note they have a B and H or Adorama on LI? Never heard of Adorama before.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    On a final note they have a B and H or Adorama on LI? Never heard of Adorama before.
    Both are in Manhattan...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    420 9th Ave, NY New York 10001

http://www.adorama.com/
    42 West 18th Street New York, NY 10011

If you are shooting either Kodak Gold 100 http://www.adorama.com/KKGA24.html or Superia Reala 100 http://www.adorama.com/FJCS36.html , FLYING PLANES will be BLURRY but it would be a good exercise for you to try to get them as sharp as possible. Read, read, read, & practice, practice, practice.

It would be an idea to create a photo thread in the PHOTOGRAPHY forum so you can post your progress there. Only upload planes that are closer to FILLING the FRAME and only the SHARPEST shots you get.

Find out if your camera has SPEED and APERTURE settings, but again you never told us which model camera you have.