Thread: G-BOAD's - boat ride to homeport ?

G-BOAD's - boat ride to homeport ?

In Nov 2003 after G-BOAD was put on a boat to sail to Intrepid I heard it took 2 days and on the first night G-BOAD's boat was anchord off a place called Homeport near Statten Island.

I don't know New York and I've looked on google but can't find Homeport.

Can any one show me a map of where homeport is as I'm updating G-BOAD's ferry flight report and I want to make a map of her boat trip from JFK to Interpid at pier 86.

Re: G-BOAD's - boat ride to homeport ?

It's on the east side of the island, where the star is. It was an old naval base, closed in the mid-90s. It now sees industrial use, and USN vessels use it on occasion when visiting NYC.

It was also where the USS Intrepid was tied up while undergoing restoration. You can see it at the pier in this photo.

Man, if that's not an informative post, I don't know what is.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Moose135 thanks mate I appreciate your help :)

The update to G-BOADs report is slowly being done, hard part is now working out if I need to use simple animation to show the journey or just a wobbly line on a photo of Moose135s.

Will let you know when its all done.

Jetinder, I know that story has been repeated a number of times, but it is a very rough approximation of what happened. The barge was actually beyond the Verrazano Bridge; not terribly close to the "Home Port". btw, the "Homeport" didn't last too long...and it is not particularly old either. It was built sometime in the 80s from what I remember. After a few years of use, the Navy was tasked with finding facilities to close (budget or cost "cuts"). The NYC "Homeport" was probably the only one in the nation that had the chief local official - David Dinkins - advocating for its closure in the first place. And so, it became a "no brainer" to close it.

As Moose indicated, the pier still sees some activity. Chiefly as a secondary location for Fleet Week, but also the FDNY maintain a Fireboat year round. Other visitors are few and far between. The impounded "Big Red Boat" Cruise Ship, The Intrepid, Japan Coast Guard (actually more like NAVY) and NOAA vessels are about all I can think of...

Hope this helps,
    Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Hi Tom

That sounds good, thanks for your help :-)

Are you the Tom Turner on airliners.net, if you are i love your concorde on journey to intrepid photos.

Thanks for the kind words Jetinder.. yes, same Tom Turner.

I don't contribute to A.net or JP for some years now...

t
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I am probably the biggest fan of Concorde G-BOAD since when I first saw her arrive here at JFK back in the late 70's with a strange "Yellow bird" logo on one side. I went out to JFK every weekend after that waiting for the elusive Concorde. There was no internet back then so I had no idea what that logo meant. I subscribed to Airline Data News from London and saw a photo of G-BOAD and learned it was painted for the service from London>Bahrain>Singapore. I even purchased a 1/100 scale model which I ruined by cleaning in hot water which cracked the fibreglass. To this day, I love my "Singapore" Concorde and usually visit her at her pier at the Intrepid at least monthly. I did go out in cold temperatures to see her journey up the Hudson but was unaware that she would stay overnight by Staten Island. I also went to see her final landing in Nov.2003 at JFK but guards prevented me from seeing the actual touch-down. It is great that you are doing research on this journey. I hope you include a map showing the exact route her barge took from JFK to the Intrepid. I believe that Concorde G-BOAA sailed up the Thames and many came to cheer her. Later today, I will go to see Queen Mary II, which is returning from her "Round the World" Cruise.

I am trying to learn where repairs were made to "Alpha-Delta's" broken nose before she returned by barge to the Intrepid on October 20, 2008. I believe that her voyage from Brooklyn's Aviator Sports (where she was damaged) was not a 1-day deal. She stayed overnight at the Bayonne, NJ shipyard. Was her nose repaired there or before she left Brooklyn? There is no information on the internet about her return trip to the Intrepid and no photos showing the repairs can be found. Any information would be appreciated. "Alpha-Delta" is my favourite of all the Concordes because she was the only one to bear a Singapore Airlines livery on 1 side. Cheers!

Since I last wrote on here I completed the update to G-BOAD's last flight
    :-
    http://concorde35mm.110mb.com/page20.html

I tried to make it as accurate as I can and I appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    I am probably the biggest fan of Concorde G-BOAD since when I first saw her arrive here at JFK back in the late 70's
    LOL you're the American version of me :-)

I am probably the biggest fan of Concorde G-BOAD since when I first saw her arrive here at JFK back in the late 70's with a strange "Yellow bird" logo on one side
    In the 1970s BA and Singapoor Airlines used G-BOAD to fly to Singapoor.

To this day, I love my "Singapore" Concorde and usually visit her at her pier at the Intrepid at least monthly.
    Good for you :-)

I also went to see her final landing in Nov.2003 at JFK but guards prevented me from seeing the actual touch-down.
    Sorry to hear this, they where just as bad at Heathrow when we went to see her leave for the last time.

I believe that Concorde G-BOAA sailed up the Thames and many came to cheer her.
    yes and I was there to see her, below is my report about her
    :-
    http://concorde35mm.110mb.com/page48.html