Now that the NFL has passed the new Playoff Overtime Rules (summary: if playoff game goes to OT and coin-toss winning team scores a TD on opening OT drive, game ends. If toss-winning team scores a FG on opening drive, opponent has opportunity to win game with a TD, or tie with a FG, then followed by sudden death. If toss-winning team fails to score any points, standard sudden death applies), will it pass for the regular season?

While this new overtime rule makes some sense for playoffs, I hope it doesn't pass for the regular season. Here's my logic: the sudden death system works pretty well. It limits the amount of time (and risk of injury) for NFL players in an environment where fatigue plays a big factor. Way too much emphasis is placed on offense (see college football OT rules). Defense is key--your D needs to step up and prevent any points to be scored, including field goals. If you allow a team to march down 60 yards and kick a FG, you've lost the game. You had the opportunity to win the game in regulation, now your "D" needs to step up. As far as abolishing tie games, I hope they keep the tie alive. Ties are very rare in NFL games, but they're cool. If both teams play their hearts out for 75 minutes to no further scoring, does either deserve to lose? There are only 16 regular season games; each is so important so I think preserving the tie is a good thing.

What are your thoughts? I say keep things as they are. These new rule changes put too much emphasis on the touchdown as opposed to defensive play and special teams, which have proven over the years to be key factors in championship teams,