Thread: Senate Republicans Prevent Committees From Meeting After 2 P

Senate Republicans Prevent Committees From Meeting After 2 P

Unbelievable......

http://talkradionews.com/2010/03/senate ... fter-2-pm/

To protest the passage of health care reform, Senate Republicans have invoked a rarely used Senate rule to prevent committees from meeting after 2 pm.

Jim Manley, a spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), chided the Republican’s decision.

“Republicans are using tricks to shut down several key Senate committees,” said Manley in a written statement. “These political games and obstruction have to stop – the American people expect and deserve better.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) vowed on the Senate floor Wednesday that his party will continue their opposition to a set of amendments to the health care bill signed by Barack Obama Tuesday.

“We’ll continue to fight until this bill is repealed and replaced,” McConnell said.

According to Senate guidelines, committees can only meet two hours after the session begins with unanimous consent, or if the requirement is suspended, which it typically is.

Hearings postponed for Wednesday include an Armed Services hearing on U.S. forces in Korea and a Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on contracts for the training of the Afghan National Police.

An Appropriations committee hearing with the Office of Personnel and Management director John Berry was allowed to proceed. According to a staffer for the committee, Appropriations is exempt from the unanimous consent requirement under Senate rules.

March 24, 2010

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: Senate Republicans Prevent Committees From Meeting After 2 P

the American people expect and deserve better
    Oh yea I sure feel I deserve to be forced to buy something and then penalized if I don't. I am glad the GOP is doing anything to stop this because this bill sucks in plain english and Reid should be ashamed of himself. Which he will be in November when he is handed a double digit loss and a one way ticket back to that hell hole Searchlight where he comes from.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Re: Senate Republicans Prevent Committees From Meeting After 2 P

These committees have nothing to do with healthcare!!!