Thread: EWR 3/19 review

EWR 3/19 review

Excerpt:

View the whole set, including detailed aircraft data, here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1085677.../kewr20100319/

This was my first spotting trip at Newark. I spent most of the time scouting out decent locations because my camera batteries died, so I only took a few pics. I even had a friendly chat with an NJ Turnpike Authority officer. That isn't sarcasm; I really did discuss some aviation photography with the guy, and he gave me some great tips like "The PAPD will confiscate your gear, do your best to stay away".

On an unrelated note, I'm still kicking myself for failing to realize yesterday evening that a certain unmarked 767 I was watching from about 7 miles away with binocs was actually the one and only Google jet. Beats me what it was doing in Newark.

Re: EWR 3/19 review

It defineately is adviseable to be low key in and around EWR with the camera gear but I think we may have reached a bit of a progression mark with EWR PAPD. Still best to play it cool with them untill we see just how much progress has been made but if you do eventually run into an issue with PAPD please do contact me. PAPD are not "bad guys". They are actually pretty supportive of us. EWR is just slightly less exposed to spotters. Great stuff BTW.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Funny you should say that, because the officer made a very similar statement. I was told that quite unfortunately there's some tension given recent sensasionalism of events in the industry. That the PAPD is friendly to spotters is yet to be confirmed personally for me (we've all read the occasional confrontations), but I will say that one day I called in explaining my intents and they advised that with explicit permission (like furnishing a permit or some other official granting) we could enjoy ourselves. Next time I'll try establishing contact with them and see what I can get.

Thank you for offering your assistance to any potentially heckled spotters. I will most definitely remember to contact you should any disagreements arise.

And as for the shots, they came out well considering I only used a cheap consumer-grade point-and-shoot camera with all of 3x zoom and a cap of 8MP. There would have been even better stills had my singular battery not died the moment I found an excellent spot. I comitted this error with the reasoning that it was more of a scouting venture than a photo shoot.

Darlyn, what kind of camera did you use for those shots?
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

according to exif Sony DSC-W90.....

I wanna do some spotting on EWR... but im scared.... :) I hope one day we maybe do some group meeting on EWR ?? group of spotters from NYCA would be nice.... and this is the only way I would go to EWR, I know they can do nothing etc but.... group is group :P 10 ppl or more would be great :)
    Living The Dream...

I got a small place where to spot the EWR 22s in the afternoon hours on Freeman St/Raymond Blvd.. I spotted from there a number of times and never been bothered... Heres an example shot I took from there last year...

Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

That would be correct, I used a DSC-W90. Kind in mind that these pictures are cropped and scaled down to reduce color noise. Even as close as I was to the planes, that little camera would never be able to get such tight shots. Compare the Embraer full shot with the closeup for clarification.

I wanna do some spotting on EWR... but im scared.... :) I hope one day we maybe do some group meeting on EWR ?? group of spotters from NYCA would be nice.... and this is the only way I would go to EWR, I know they can do nothing etc but.... group is group :P 10 ppl or more would be great :)
    Just go out and do it. I've been putting off EWR for a while, and finally decided to just get in the car and go. Group spotting sounds fantastic, we should start organizing some meetups.

I got a small place where to spot the EWR 22s in the afternoon hours on Freeman St/Raymond Blvd.. I spotted from there a number of times and never been bothered... Heres an example shot I took from there last year...
    That spot has a great view of the river and 22 landings. I'll definitely check it out. The best location I could find for the 22s is farther south and in the more industrial areas, but a three story building obscures incoming planes and the only warning you get is the engines right before they zoom over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparypa

Just let me know when and if its on my off day I'll fly over from SEA!
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA