Thread: First Time at ALB 3-17-10

First Time at ALB 3-17-10

Had some free time today and the weather was amazing. Most operations used RWY28. However, I stayed on the north side of the runway, so the shots were backlit. However, from that angle, aircraft at the hold short point were lighted perfectly. Forgot to check the ALB spotting map; spot E seems like it would've been perfect. :x

One of Avantair's Piaggios powers down the runway.

Last minute control surfaces check.

Rolling down 28.

Caught the strobe with extending landing lights on the belly.

Turning on to the runway.

Saw this beast flying overhead headed south. Looked like a Polet AN-124.

Re: First Time at ALB 3-17-10

Nice Mark!! Awesome shots!

That does look to be a Polet Bubba jet. A intresting peice of information the EN DH8 though. They are not performing a flight control check. There is a switch for the spoiler system that says Flight/Taxi on the glaresheild. What it does is determines whether those boards are deployed based on power setting. When you have the switch in "Taxi" The boards will not deploy below the flight idle detent. Once you switch that switch to the "Flight" position it will automaticly maintain the boards in the deployed position untill the power levers are brought to just above the "Flight Idle" position. There is a magnet that will also trip the boards inside the center console if you bring the power above a specific setting and than retard back to below flight idle. Some companies like Horizon decide to disable this function all together to avoid an accidental inflight deployment if the power gets slammed back too far.

Sorry, had to.....
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    That does look to be a Polet Bubba jet. A intresting peice of information the EN DH8 though. They are not performing a flight control check. There is a switch for the spoiler system that says Flight/Taxi on the glaresheild. What it does is determines whether those boards are deployed based on power setting. When you have the switch in "Taxi" The boards will not deploy below the flight idle detent. Once you switch that switch to the "Flight" position it will automaticly maintain the boards in the deployed position untill the power levers are brought to just above the "Flight Idle" position. There is a magnet that will also trip the boards inside the center console if you bring the power above a specific setting and than retard back to below flight idle. Some companies like Horizon decide to disable this function all together to avoid an accidental inflight deployment if the power gets slammed back too far.

Sorry, had to.....
    No problem. That was actually a very interesting read.

So I'm assuming at that point the throttle was lower than flight idle and they just flipped the switch from 'taxi' to 'flight'?

The Polet AN-124 was heading for SWF from TLS:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/POT2011

Of course an AN-124 comes in while I'm out of the country. :( It has been quite a while since one has paid a visit to SWF.

Mark, that would be correct. The purpose of placing it into that position is for aborted takeoffs mainly as well as lift spoil on landing. Go to LGA and watch them as they take the active and you will see what I mean. It is a checklist item before takeoff.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Mark, that would be correct. The purpose of placing it into that position is for aborted takeoffs mainly as well as lift spoil on landing. Go to LGA and watch them as they take the active and you will see what I mean. It is a checklist item before takeoff.
    How old are those now? like 15-20 years old???? i remember seeing them back when my father was still with US. Didnt really pay much attention to them back then as my interest was elsewhere (mostly with the 737 classics) and sticking by my fathers leg. Not many props around nowadays. Its good to hear a prop every now and then. Reminds me of how the old days were when i wasnt alive. Yea I tend to take a liking to the really old a/c :mrgreen:

Most of the ones in Piedmonts fleet are at the 20 year mark. A few younger. The 100's are all over the one and a half decade mark with exception of like 2. The 300's are a bit younger. Right now there is a AD program on the Dash for a recurring inspection for micro cracks and a Extended life program which Piedmont is looking into for them as well which puts Q400 glass in the cockpit and reenforces the wings and Vertical stab. to pretty much give unlimited life to the airplane. I remember way back when you would have been a young buck to no age at all when the Dash 7's from Henson were plying the sky in and out of airports like LGA and TPA for USAir Express. USX had quite a fleet mix in the early to mid 90's. Everything from the BE1900, to the DH8 the DH7, the Shorts 330 and Shorts 360 (Flying Irish Trailer parks) and even a few converted Kingair's out on the west coast if I am not mistaken. The good old days. It is a shame that we have the delay issues around the metro. Those airplanes are great for short segment flying in the area to the small cities. The CRJ is not efficent. Nor is the E145. The turboprops are also excellent for CLT to all of the small cities in the Carolina's which USX serves.

NLovis

Yea I figured they were old but dam that old. Wonder how much longer they will be flying.

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    Had some free time today and the weather was amazing. Most operations used RWY28. However, I stayed on the north side of the runway, so the shots were backlit. However, from that angle, aircraft at the hold short point were lighted perfectly. Forgot to check the ALB spotting map; spot E seems like it would've been perfect. :x
    Nice shots! Nice to see a bit of a different angle at ALB. Were you shoot through or over the fence?

I caught her sister just the other day at BFI.