Thread: Noreaster Storm Damage

Noreaster Storm Damage

Woke up today to find a mess around my neighborhood. The storm was far stronger then I ever expected and out near me caused a great deal of property damage. I was lucky that my power stayed on throughout the storm minus some flickers from time to time but the streets around me are still without power from trees snapping the lines. Also besides just some minor branches and my patio stuff blowing around no damage was caused to my house or yard.

What really amazes me is the weather service hardly talked about this storm before hand, but only three weeks ago made a huge deal of a storm that dumped only 6 inches of snow. This storm did the most damage so far this winter and it barely was mentioned for people to take heed.

Some pics from around my town.

These trees four that fell in total stood for almost 100 years, its truly a shame when landmark objects like this are destroyed.

Re: Noreaster Storm Damage

WHOAAAA...that's a heck of a storm Tom!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Here is the worst damage I saw:

It was the equivalent to a CAT 1 hurricane.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Good stuff. Long Beach Road was closed last night. Lines down, poles down, no power at all.... flooding. It was pretty bad. You know it is bad when they close a whole main drag. Long Beach was intense. I didnt go to the beach today because I was busy trying to find a natrual gas generator I could have for next time but yesterday the Atlantic was below the boardwalk on a few beaches in LB. My basement has about 4 inches of salt water in it right now since the pumps are electric and there was no power.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

[quote="T-Bird76"]What really amazes me is the weather service hardly talked about this storm before hand, but only three weeks ago made a huge deal of a storm that dumped only 6 inches of snow. This storm did the most damage so far this winter and it barely was mentioned for people to take heed.

Absolutely right. They said it would be a lot of rain and high winds but NOTHING like we have seen.

I should have been in Jamaica this weekend. The events of last Sunday caused me to cancel it. The irony of it is that the last time I experinced weather this bad was when I was in Jamaica in 2003. We had no water safe for drinking or power for about a week available. It was pretty intresting. Never thought I would say I wished I was in a third world country over the USA though. LOL!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I just realized that yesterday was the Anniversary of The Superstorm of 1993. At least this one was liquid for you guy's up there.

Expect LIRR delays in the AM...entrance to East River Tunnels is flooded. They're advising adding 30 mins to your travel time, some Penn trains will be diverted to Brooklyn.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I could not even get home from my friend's house that night the storm was very severe and could not take the chance in heading back out... The Bronx had a bunch of power lost alot of trees on ground and yes the road conditions were a total mess..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Ahh that wicked noreaster of 1993? That was insane. I remember going out ot play in hte snow that day.... Stepped onto the snow covered lawn and instantly slipped backwards and almost cracked my skull. Sure there was a few inches of snow but I didnt expect the frozen ice sheet on top of it!

Almost wrecked the 84 Buick Estate Wagon that weekend! May she RIP!!

True Tom, for some odd reason, most long islanders freak over snow but its the rain and wind that is often overlooked and is usually far more devastating!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I'll take snow anyday over rain. I hate rain... At least in New York. At least in the snow you can usually justify not leaving your house. My arguement is "Would you fly a skyhawk in it?"

Thanks for the pics. I really feel for you folks.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Expect LIRR delays in the AM...entrance to East River Tunnels is flooded. They're advising adding 30 mins to your travel time, some Penn trains will be diverted to Brooklyn.
    It must have cleared up. I was on the 6:50 express (Hicksville-Penn) and the only delay we had was because they
    threw in three extra stops for us. Still got to work at 8:01.

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I'll take snow anyday over rain. I hate rain... At least in New York. At least in the snow you can usually justify not leaving your house. My arguement is "Would you fly a skyhawk in it?"
    Yeah, but you don't have to shovel rain off the driveway...