Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad day for flying...

Bad day for flying...

Weather is pretty bad out there today... LGA was reporting winds 080@26G34 earlier which really doesn't help much in terms of runway selection... Taking a look at PASSUR it looks like a lot of aircraft are holding over PA and South Jersey.. Looks like there may be a lot of diverts and cancellations today at all three airports...

I'm supposed to fly out tomorrow, so hopefully this whallop of a storm moves out quickly!

Re: Bad day for flying...

It is defineately pretty crappy. The ocean is almost reaching the boardwalk in Long Beach and when I looked out the bedroom window at the bay this morning I saw so many white tops I thought I had woken up in the cabin of a FLL flight for a minute.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Yea, I was in AC earlier and the bay looked like it had waves you could surf on! Definitely sporty out there for flying!

I'm listening to LiveATC for LGA tower (on the bus from AC that has wifi and am bored)... Seems like they are using the ILS to 13, but they keep calling winds 070@24G36. Maybe my calculations are off, but wagging it, it seems like that's about a 30 knot crosswind on landing for RWY13.

I know the airlines are a lot less conservative on their limits for a lot of things than we are in the AF, and from talking to several airline pilots a lot gets "overlooked", but that still seems like an awfully high crosswind component for a wet runway. I don't think or know why anyone would take the sustained wind when determining crosswinds, but maybe that is common practice among the airlines. I guess those the MD80s, Airbuses and regional jets must have high wet xwind limits. In the KC-10 our limits are 31 dry and 19 wet (unless it's grooved or porous then it's 21). I know we are larger and have more to get pushed around, but that still seems like a large spread...

Anyone have any insight?

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Anyone have any insight?
    even though i haven't had an arrival for some time, i've gotten reports of wind shear on final for rwy 4.

the last two arrivals for 13 went around as well, +/- 15kts the entire way down final.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

At Kennedy its been pretty bad. There a lot of go-arounds and very few landings. Current estimated winds are 090@37G56. Wind shear reported loss of 20knots from 1000ft and gain of 15knots around 500ft. Severe turbulence all the way down. Some outbound flights are going back to the gate due to high winds.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Glad I came back last night. It wasn't bad at all, 10 minutes late.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Reports that JFK's wind measuring equipment is now broken.

Gusts are up to 64mph according to NWS.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

JFK Using 1 Runway

Due to today's nasty weather and strong easterly winds, JFK has been using the ILS 13L Approach most of the day. Departures are few and will be either delayed or canceled. Of course, the closure of 13R isn't helping. My lights were flickering before and I have a small flood by the windows. I heard that this nor'easter could have meant up to 40 inches of snow. Since 1 inch of snow costs NYC $1 million in snow removal, think of the savings!

Winds 40 degrees off gusting close to 60 knots? 20 knot loss shear with moderate turbulence on final? 5000' RVR? Don't see how anyone could be legal (except those carriers that apparently don't have max x-wind limitations) to land in winds like those, especially on a wet runway. Sounds sporty to try though - just heard two aircraft go missed at JFK, a JetBlue A320 successfully landed.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Winds 40 degrees off gusting close to 60 knots? 20 knot loss shear with moderate turbulence on final? 5000' RVR? Don't see how anyone could be legal (except those carriers that apparently don't have max x-wind limitations) to land in winds like those, especially on a wet runway. Sounds sporty to try though - just heard two aircraft go missed at JFK, a JetBlue A320 successfully landed.
    Alitalia just gave them the no go for 4R, requested 13L.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

FAA now reporting JFK arrival delays averaging 6 hr 12 mins. I've never seen it that long.

That's what she said.

Took my daughter to her friends house in Merrick around 5PM and the winds were howling down there on the south shore. Riding back north on 135 and my SUV was pushed a few times by wind gusts. And get home and see a utility pole snapped in half and a tree down at another location. I have my flashlights and
    candles ready just in case.

ABX pilot to JFK tower after takeoff: "That was sporty, I wouldn't recommend that for anyone with passengers in the back."

JFK just had a hurricane-strength gust of 74mph.

LGA's winds are much lighter than JFK, gusts only seem to be hitting the 40's, but still MAJOR irregular ops here. In the last hour Cactus 1490 landed on 4 and after giving the wind and turbulance conditions on final and the braking action they told the tower, "I don't get paid enough to do this". And a Piedmont Dash 8 just landed on 13, actually an HPN diversion, his pirep to the tower was "pretty hairy below 1500".

Cheers

LGA777