Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad day for flying...

Re: Bad day for flying...

at 6:36pm Peak gusts at FRG 090 @ 52kts. No 172's airborne today...at least not by choice.

JFK now reporting wind gust up to 67knots. That's almost 80mph
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    ABX pilot to JFK tower after takeoff: "That was sporty, I wouldn't recommend that for anyone with passengers in the back."
    LOL!! i love that line...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Yea, JFK is telling people estimated winds are 100@29G65! That's nuts! A BA jet just returned to the gate and some international carrier (couldn't make out the callsign) just went around...

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Yea, JFK is telling people estimated winds are 100@29G65! That's nuts! A BA jet just returned to the gate and some international carrier (couldn't make out the callsign) just went around...

Virgin went back to the gate, Aeromexio just did the go around.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Many diversions up here to KSWF:

B6: 26, 150, 722, 1060
    VX: 404
    CO: 19, 69, (860) ---> TNCM/SXM - EWR (go-around at EWR, ended up diverting)

Also several Citation and Gulfstream diversions, plus some randoms (Dassault)

Very exciting for us Stewart folk! :borat:

Listening to KJFK tower around 1955L and heard DL492 go-around, then divert and caught this screenshot. Kinda looks like an arm punching NYC in the face? :shock:

From my office in lower Manhattan I could hear the traffic turning on final over the east river for JFK's 13L for most of the day. Sounds like they're having an interesting time up there as the engines have been spooling up and down as they compensate for the approach. Those guys are really earning their pay today.

I've had a really interesting day of flying to say the least. I diverted to BDL coming back from New Orleans on Jet Blue around 2:40pm and was stuck on the plane on the tarmac until 6:50pm when we finally taxied to a gate and got our bags and left for JFK, although I was picked up by a friend and driven home. We circled for a while near Delaware and then made our way up to Long Island when the pilot announced we would divert. The crew handled the situation pretty well despite all the chaos on board. There were a few people who were able to get off the plane and leave from Hartford but a majority of the passengers on board were connecting onwards to Swiss, Alitalia, and Aer Lingus. There were two other Jet Blue aircraft on the ground and a few Delta aircraft including a 767-300 from ATH.

I've always wanted to experience a diversion but now that I have, hopefully I won't experience one again. Although the 80mph winds at JFK sound pretty terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    at 6:36pm Peak gusts at FRG 090 @ 52kts. No 172's airborne today...at least not by choice.
    I did hear a Hawker come in on ILS One Four early afternoon.
    This is one wild storm.
    Blackouts, floods, roads closed, trees and utility poles down, major suspension of service on LIRR, NJ Transit,
    Amtrak, Staten Island Ferry.
    2010 or 2012?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, just came back from Merrick and its like a disaster region over there. My daughter took me on a tour :) and there were houses and cars crushed by huge trees. They've had no power since 6 last night. We were lucky and only lost our phones.
    And right now (11:11AM) a thunderstorm is rumbling through the area. :shock:

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

I've been under the weather this entire week, and spent the most of yesterday sleeping, but every time I woke up I heard sirens. This morning, I got motivated enough to go out and get a cup of coffee and had to take the VERY long way around as there were multiple trees down, including one blocking access to Montauk Hwy from S. Wellwood, and nearly every traffic light I passed was being worked on. Looks like a bad time for driving as well. Kudos to the SCPD MOS's out there for doing an excellent job in less than excellent conditions with directing traffic and such.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I lost power for about 24 hours. It was nasty. I called ATIS at JFK a few times and was in awe of the weather. About 6 PM high tide I was standing just off the sand on the boardwalk during the worst of the storm and heard somthing very low in the clouds climbing away from JFK. I was suprised to say the least. That storm was intense. At least the hangers in FRG arent down!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

LIPA is saying this is one of the worst storms they have seen in 20 years. From what I am hearing, seeing
    on TV and seeing with my own eyes I can believe it.
    The "Hurricane With No Name" it is being dubbed!!

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    At least the hangers in FRG arent down!
    Delta hangar at BOS lost part of its roof.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I just saw a picture. Wowowowowo. This storm was no joke. None at all. Surface conditions were intense. Apparently the wind was strong enough to slightly open one of the hanger doors though at the old Summit hanger. That is strength! Those things have flat tires (The hanger doors) so you know it is strong. It only opened one of them like 6 inches but still...... Woof!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"