Thread: VIDEO: Hoosier Wings - 172 in Indiana

VIDEO: Hoosier Wings - 172 in Indiana

Went flying for the first time in a long time yesterday since I was a good 90 days past my 90 day currency. Was a gorgeous day for it!

Did a few touch and go's at Frankfort Municipal (FKR) then headed off to pick a friend up in Lafayette (LAF), and back to FKR. It starts as I taxi onto runway 23 at Lafayette and cuts off as we're climbing out.

It's not the most amazing video ever made, but still something fun I hope you'll enjoy.

I'm preparing the landing video and will have that up shortly.

Brian

EDIT: We have arrived.

...I know...I float...
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Re: VIDEO: Hoosier Wings - 172 in Indiana

Nice! Looks like a great day to fly... The past few here on the East Coast have been awesome...

I do miss the days of 1000' takeoff rolls and flight following...

Thanks, Clark. I hope the weather in NY says nice when I'm home next week. Indiana is nice and all, but not much can beat the scenery along the shore in the northeast.

Landing video is now up, see original post.
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Quote Originally Posted by Futterman
    Thanks, Clark. I hope the weather in NY says nice when I'm home next week. Indiana is nice and all, but not much can beat the scenery along the shore in the northeast.
    You do a lot of flying when you're back here? Generally speaking what's the going rate for a single-engine or twin-engine prop/hour?

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    You do a lot of flying when you're back here? Generally speaking what's the going rate for a single-engine or twin-engine prop/hour?
    I don't, actually, at least not recreationally. Most of my time on Long Island has been as a CFI or as part of one of my long-cross countries. After I graduate in May and leave Indiana, I'll be in NY for long enough to make the cost of a rental checkout worthwhile. (Some places require you to maintain 'rental currency' every month or two. I also prefer to just go up with an instructor after being away from the airport and airspace for several months.)

Between Nassau Flyers (FRG), Mid-Island (ISP), and Heritage Flight Academy (ISP), a 172 weighs in at about $130-150/hr. There are slightly cheaper options - 152s or light sport - but I like the 172R/S for comfort and reliability. Most multi will set you back about $200/hr.

Shoot me an email - [email protected]. Let's go up sometime!

Wow, that is pricey - the multi isn't much more than single; almost worth it. I'm all for comfort and reliability. Is that with or without an instructor? I guess if you can split the costs with someone it becomes a lot more affordable...

90% of my flying has been under IFR and all my flying now is under IFR. While the VFR stuff alone isn't rocket appliances (ricky-ism), I agree with you, in this area I think it's quite prudent to have an instructor or someone very familiar with the area (and aircraft) along for a flight or two before going up solo.

I'll try to hit you up later this summer sometime (when I'm not gone). I'd love to do some VFR stuff along the coast, or even the Hudson corridor.

Don't know how I missed this. Great stuff, Futt! I want to see more!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].