Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kid giving instruction over ATC JFK

Kid giving instruction over ATC JFK

http://liveatc-archive.s3.amazonaws.com ... roller.mp3

Apparently the News Media is going crazy on this. Personally I think he did a good job.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: Bring you Kids to Work Day at JFK Tower

that was great.....
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

MYFOXNY.COM - The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating an air traffic controller who apparently let a child speak to pilots over the radio from the control tower at John F. Kennedy Airport.

The child made five transmissions, and the pilots actually enthusiastically responded to him. The child appeared to be supervised.

But aviation experts, including a retired Delta pilot, say that having a child on the radio is a bad idea because lives hang on every radio transmission.

In fact, only FAA-licensed controllers are supposed to communicate with airplanes.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I think the kid did a great job and the ATCs involved obviously were in total control. Unfortunately they will be hung out to dry by the FAA. People are just too tight assed on every little thing now. This may be one time LiveATC did the people they follow a dis-service because that is where everyone is getting the feed from.
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    I think the kid did a great job and the ATCs involved obviously were in total control. Unfortunately they will be hung out to dry by the FAA. People are just too tight assed on every little thing now. This may be one time LiveATC did the people they follow a dis-service because that is where everyone is getting the feed from.
    couldn't agree with you more...

i say, if they're that desperate for new controllers maybe they ought to start hiring some of the CTI candidates that have been waiting for years already... :lol:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    couldn't agree with you more...

i say, if they're that desperate for new controllers maybe they ought to start hiring some of the CTI candidates that have been waiting for years already... :lol:
    They're waiting for FAA Reauthorization for more hiring... write your senator, takes 1 minute
    http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/faar ... jcfYqbDFRE

Re: Kid giving instruction over ATC JFK

NYCAviation:
    :arrow: Little Kid Takes Over JFK Airport Control Tower
    A recording of a young boy giving takeoff clearances to flights at JFK Airport has landed at least one air traffic controller in hot water with the FAA.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    NYCAviation:
    :arrow: Little Kid Takes Over JFK Airport Control Tower
    A recording of a young boy giving takeoff clearances to flights at JFK Airport has landed at least one air traffic controller in hot water with the FAA.
    Watch out for that boot. Its a painful one.

Thats gonna hurt.....Ken

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Couldn't agree more.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Ditto:
    And I'm sure the guys in the tower as well in the jetliners had a brighter day hearing a kid take some interest in their industry.
    What a shame.
    Such a sick twisted world we live in today.
    I let my kids visit me at work while I'm working on a truck- that does not mean an 8 year old is repairing and engine for a customer on his own. Just crazy.
    With parks being shut down and the like I guess the only things left for kids are video games, over eating and drugs. No place left for them to let the wonder of the big world run free.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

JFK Tower handing the controlls over to a child

Since this hasn't been posted yet - what is your take on the situation that occured recently.

Quick recap (CNN):
    The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating after an air traffic controller at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport brought his young child to work and allowed him to communicate with planes.

Full Story Here http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/03/air.traffic.child/

Most pilots didn't seem to mind but with the recent texas crash and the general nationwide focus on aviation security and over all process, what's your take on this?

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

How could the kid do a bad job? It's not all that hard to regurgitate what you are told to say? And with that thought in mind, I feel bad for the image of ATC that it unfortunately conveys....that even a kid, or a chimp, can do it... just tell them what to say or do. No IQ requirement necessary. That is the WRONG message it conveys.

Many are saying its blown out of proportion....yet consider if it was an emergency, how does that change the impact of that single act?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors

I let my kids visit me at work while I'm working on a truck- that does not mean an 8 year old is repairing and engine for a customer on his own. Just crazy.
    But Mike, as the proud owner of your business, would you let them work on a customer's truck at all? Your truck is one thing but a clients? And consider how your clientele might see this. Its one thing to have my son come in and see an ocular anomaly one of my patients (w/ the patient's permission may experience, its a whole other ballgame to say, "Here, do this."

And yes, I have ridden diesel cabs before, honked the horn and taken up through throttle 8, but what 2 things make this significant. That its recorded for the public to see and that it was at a major airport.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I despise every aspect of the FAA. It is a shame someone or multiple people are going to get fired for this. Why? Because some hungry media yuppy needed a story and this was the "big break".
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

....Im confused.... you despise the FAA? Or the media for outing them? Or perhaps liveatc.com for making it well accessible?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187