Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kid giving instruction over ATC JFK

Re: Bring you Kids to Work Day at JFK Tower

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    I think the kid did a great job and the ATCs involved obviously were in total control. Unfortunately they will be hung out to dry by the FAA. People are just too tight assed on every little thing now. This may be one time LiveATC did the people they follow a dis-service because that is where everyone is getting the feed from.
    How could the kid do a bad job? It's not all that hard to regurgitate what you are told to say? And with that thought in mind, I feel bad for the image of ATC that it unfortunately conveys....that even a kid, or a chimp, can do it... just tell them what to say or do. No IQ requirement necessary. That is the WRONG message it conveys.

Many are saying its blown out of proportion....yet consider if it was an emergency, how does that change the impact of that single act?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors

I let my kids visit me at work while I'm working on a truck- that does not mean an 8 year old is repairing and engine for a customer on his own. Just crazy.
    But Mike, as the proud owner of your business, would you let them work on a customer's truck at all? Your truck is one thing but a clients? And consider how your clientele might see this. Its one thing to have my son come in and see an ocular anomaly one of my patients (w/ the patient's permission may experience, its a whole other ballgame to say, "Here, do this."

And yes, I have ridden diesel cabs before, honked the horn and taken up through throttle 8, but what 2 things make this significant. That its recorded for the public to see and that it was at a major airport.
    ok lets see

How could the kid do a bad job? It's not all that hard to regurgitate what you are told to say?

Exactly, the kid wasn't landing an MD-11 on a crosswind, hence the safety/professionalism/public perception worries you're trying to push aren't very convincing. He did a good job because he spoke clearly and calmly for being so young. Would have fooled me if it weren't for his little kid voice. Check that, he did a great job! That kid's a natural.

How are you going to compare uttering the words "cleared for take off" with letting your kids diagnose an ocular anomaly? Key words "ocular anomaly"

If you really have doubts this controller didn't wait for the right moment to let his kid talk then you must also believe planes are constantly about to crash at JFK. We get the idea you're a very responsible citizen, but this ATC guy is no less of a professional than you are, and judging by how good the kid sounded it tells me his dad is a pretty good controller. If there were an emergency the father would have taken over, big deal...

Also, simple logic would say he was likely focused 120% on the job since the kid was on the mic. I'd be a heck of a lot more worried about flying into JFK (if i were a pilot) and getting that rude, arrogant a******* that was there before. Funny how nobody in the media made a big deal about THAT.

Apparently the crazie got moved to ISP now?? What's worrisome here is how someone with the stupidity to argue and confuse pilots held the job for so long (see that right there could have caused a crash). Good thing he's a controller and not a police officer or someone in government (God help us!)

xxxxxxxxxxx

I feel bad for the image of ATC that it unfortunately conveys....that even a kid, or a chimp, can do it... just tell them what to say or do. No IQ requirement necessary. That is the WRONG message it conveys.

In other words, you are convinced no one surrounding you is capable of intelligent reasoning either. What wrong message? I don't see how anyone with an ounce of gray matter would believe it's so easy "chimps can do it" (being widely-known ATC is one of the most stressful professions) If anyone thinks it's a piece of cake, let them.

What's our "idiot" public going to do, stop flying because they think ATC is picking their nose? Good! cheaper fares.

\

Re: Kid giving instruction over ATC JFK

[quote="moose135
    This showed appalling judgment on the part of the controller, as well as his supervisor, in allowing this to happen not once, but twice on separate occasions. If they think this sort of behavior is acceptable, what else are they allowing to pass?[/quote]

After last summer when the controller and supervisor at TEB were fired after dereliction of duty following
    the helo/plane mid-air do you have to wonder why the public has a negative image of ATC?

Lately, I've been reading up on organizational culture and system safety. Here are some thoughts you all might be interested in reading:

:arrow: We Need a Just Culture at JFK

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

There is apparently a little bit of a grassroots movement going on in and out of JFK and the NY area by pilots in which they are using the phrase "Adios" to show solidarity and support for the controller suspended from JFK tower. It is used during handoff to departure and in general during frequency handoff's at JFK. Apparently it is picking up some steam.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

thought it was downright awesome when the kid said Adios and the woman pilot on the mexican jet replied back with the same, hah