Thread: Railfan Reviews Wanted: Amtrak Cardinal & Lake Shore Limited

Railfan Reviews Wanted: Amtrak Cardinal & Lake Shore Limited

So I'm thinking of tossing things up for spring break and heading back to NYC by rail instead of air. It's also phenomenally cheaper, especially for procrastinators like me who wait for Delta to sell IND-LGA nonstops for $600. Round trip on Amtrak is $180.

I'm looking at taking the Cardinal from Lafayette, Indiana (half-way between Indy and Chicago) out to NYP:

(image is a link)

And the Lake Shore Limited back to LAF through Chicago with an xfer to the Hoosier State:

(image is a link)

Each direction is 20-30 hours. Has anybody here taken Amtrak long haul like this? I've heard great things - especially about the trains that go out west - but am curious to hear any first hand stories about the scenery, service, COMFORT, and overall value.

Let me know!

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Re: Railfan Reviews Wanted: Amtrak Cardinal & Lake Shore Limited

I've heard horror stories with Amtrak outside of the NE Corridor (and even sometime within it)...

In most parts of the country Amtrak "shares" the rails with freight trains. I don't think Amtrak owns any of the Right-of-Ways on the majority of these rails line and therefore doesn't have as high of priority as the freight trains do. This can, and many times does, lead to massive delays since the freight trains are first priority and any delay with those trains just trickles down to Amtrak.

When I lived in Texas, I looked into taking Amtrak for a trip instead of driving, but was quickly turned off to the idea when I went to the rail station and saw a notice that said something to the extent of "Scheduled Amtrak service along this route routinely operates 4-6 hours behind schedule"...

I'm sure it's not like this everywhere, but I have heard horror stories from other friends who were delayed for hours when taking Amtrak.

Of course if you're taking a planned 20 or 30 hour trip, what's another 5 or 10 hours in delays? Personally I would probably only consider Amtrak if I was in the NE, or had a long vacation planned, or if I wanted travel through the Rockies or Big Sky Basin sightseeing....

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

I never never done it personally but some family members have: Their input(sorry Brian, I know this is 2nd hand)

If you have the time and are not on a schedule, do it. The delays due to the above can happen but there is better way to see the landscape of America.

Confort is great (Personal feedback)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Sounds like fun if you have some time to kill. The only downside is you pass the lake in the dark. :(

I'd really like to do the Empire Builder (Chicago-Seattle) some day.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That looks pretty cool. I do not think I would have the paitence to do that though. It's a little two dementional in terms of movement for my liking. If you do it though defineately post a photographic trip report.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thanks for the feedback. Delays do seem to be a fact of life for Amtrak, but my schedule is flexible enough where I can take a pretty substantial hit and not miss any plans. Matt, yeah, I'm a bit shocked that they've scheduled the Lake Shore Limited so you don't even get to see its namesake. I better see a damn Cardinal heading eastbound...

At 50hrs round trip, I am a little apprehensive about what this all will do to my sanity. The way I see it, this will either be one of the worst decisions of my life or one of the best. I'm optimistic.

Booked the trip earlier today for $206 and was VERY excited to get the heavy-stock boarding pass style ticket!

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Brian, I think it wil be both cool and unique. At least you can get up and move about the cabin. You can meet people, eat, read. Dunno about wireless though but take it all in.

Great thing to do when you are young and single. When is this?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Brian, I think it wil be both cool and unique. At least you can get up and move about the cabin. You can meet people, eat, read. Dunno about wireless though but take it all in.
    And you can bring liquids with you, and don't have to submit to an anal probe before boarding. :shock:

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i did a trip to chicago via amtrak, but that was close to 10 years ago. it was relatively comfortable even for someone as tall as me. i ended up sleeping on the floor in front of our two seats while my brother was on them. my rear was sore the next day but at least i was able to straighten my legs. i don't know which train we were on, i only remember passing through akron, oh.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.