Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major runway closing at JFK airport

Major runway closing at JFK airport

Major runway closing at JFK airport

(CNN) -- New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport isn't exactly the poster child for on-time departures and things may get worse before they get better for travelers using the airport this spring.

Starting Monday, JFK's busiest runway will close for four months for reconstruction.

The $376 million project for Runway 13-31, also known as the Bay Runway, will widen it from 150 to 200 feet and add taxiways, all in an effort to ease traffic congestion at the airport.....

Re: Major runway closing at JFK airport

Yep, JetBlue has been shuffleing ops up to BOS slowly and quietly in anticipation of this. I fly out of JFk on Thurs. Hopefully we get the 31R departure.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

31L/13R is the one closing right? It intersect the 4/22s. Are those going to be closed too at some point?

I think at some point they will have to do intersection work. I am sure they will do that overnight though. I am pretty glad Port had the forsight to do this before it gets really hot. Once they hit the high 70's in the day time the long hauls are going to have some problems getting up and off on 31R. I suppose they can always revert to the alternate runway though 22R/4L for those runs.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

really have to love the News coverage of this.

Just saw this on one of our local stations, they started the story as.

"We have just learned.........."
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

31L closure and the high possibility of Bays Water Park closing will prove to be very interesting for the NYC aviation photographer. What a perfect storm and exciting time for us! This should put our JFK spotting experiences to the test.

Senga

Truck park for 4 departures, standard spots for 31R arrivals, and perhaps we will need to locate some spots to catch 31R departures post rotation where PAPD and NYPD won't chase us to often LOL.

31R is plenty long for long haul departures but my guess is they will run a straight 22 or 4 operation til the construction is done.

Yes JFK's 31R is 10,000FT
    I have seen many heavy aircraft take off of 31R at night with little problem.

Senga

would they ever use 22L/4R for departures. that runway does not intersect with the 31's.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I see aircraft passing by my house now using the CRI departure. They must be departing Rwy 31R. This is OK for mornings with little traffic but late afternoons should be a problem.How will the closure affect the daily AFR A388? I thought it can't arrive via Rwy 31R. If so, it would have to be vectored to Rwy 22L. Could she arrive via Rwy 22R? Could she depart from Rwy 31R? Enhanced departures after 1700 will be greatly affected since they've been using 2 runways simultaneously for take-offs. With Rwy 31L closed, that would be impossible. I wonder where the PA is getting the funding for the renovation. They are always crying that they're broke! I've been spotting since the late 70's and can't recall a runway being closed for 4 months. This is unheard of.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

For the first few months, expect to see the 4s/22s being used with 31R (full length/certain intersection) for departures. The A380 can land on 22R/4L and 22L/4R. The big question is which runway the A380 will land when there are strong winds from the NW. I'll have more info from my contact tomorrow.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    31L closure and the high possibility of Bays Water Park closing will prove to be very interesting for the NYC aviation photographer. What a perfect storm and exciting time for us! This should put our JFK spotting experiences to the test.

Senga
    Bays Water Park closing????
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20100219/FREE/100219876
    Nice. Talk about a quality of life issue.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"