Thread: Night time shots

Night time shots

I'm a novice when it comes to photography. I'm looking to pick up a camera that is capable of taking quality night time shots from an aircraft. Any recommendations that come in under $500. Also maybe a combo that shoots quality night time video or is that just wishful thinking. Thanks

Program Coordinator

Re: Night time shots

Night time shots are hard without a camera that allows manual options. Night time shots from an aircraft are exceedingly difficult. Most of the big nice night aerials are taken from blimps or very steady choppers. For a $500 budget I'd seriously consider looking at a film camera and a fast prime lens. For digital I'd say you're probably out of luck - though maybe an older DSLR model (Canon XT, XTi, Nikon D60 or equiv) will do ok.

Here's my two cents:

- Having a camera that has manual mode is key. It allows you the set the shutter speed and aperture for a correct night exposure. I'm a fan of Nikon, so you maybe be able to pick up a used D200 for around $400 - $500 or so. If you do go with the D200, look for something that has a low shutter count (around 10,000 - 20,000 clicks, even lower is better). I believe the shutters for Nikon are rated for 150,000 clicks. If you can I would recommend a D300 (I'm not sure what the used prices are for this body). This has a better sensor and I've had terrific results shooting at an ISO of 1600-2000 in low light.

-Having a fast (or prime) lens is helps as well. Typical fast lens have an f-stop of 2.8 or lower. This will allow for more light into your camera, but these lens will cost you. You can pick up a NEW 50mm f/1.8 lens for about $125, where as a 50mm f/1/4 lens will cost you about $330.

-When doing night photography one of the other things is to have a good (not cheap) and solid tripod, as well as a shutter release cable. This will take your night photography to another level.

Check out some of the NEW Nikons as well, like the D3000 (new with a lens costs you about ($550 at B&H))
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Here's a used D80 + Lens
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Hand held night photography is virutally impossible unless you have a really good prosumer type of camera/lens.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I would go with the Rebel XS for about $500 and for about $90 the 50MM F-1.8.

Quality Nighttime from a plane? for $500 your really dreaming, but this may get you close to what your looking for. Newer camera with very high ISO would be best... $1000 dollar lens's with a $1500 cam is what is really needed, but like I said, for your cost, go for the extra hundred dollars and you will get by. Anything less than an SLR fast glass will not work for your needs... 5D a 50mm 1.2 or 1.4 would be nice but way out of your range. I stand by my recommendation....you need f2 or faster for your needs.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Deal:Refurbished Canon EOS Rebel XSi 12.2-MegaPixel Digital SLR $430
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSIBR.html? ... 6250261350

with a 50mm that would put you at about $530.... Nikon, Canon...it really does not matter.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Program Coordinator

you need f2 or faster for your needs.
    Yup