Thread: JFK 2/21

JFK 2/21

Just some shots from today:

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Re: JFK 2/21

Eva wins hands down in the paintscheme department but that DL 767 banking under the moon! :shock: :borat:

Here's another image that I caught with the moon today.

Mark
    Queens, NY

That Delta under the moon is awesome! Great catches!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

A few from this afternoon

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

All great shots here, Mark I love the DL 767 under the moon. Eric, the Blues Brothers is awesome. Where where you shooting the last 3 from?

Three of mine from today:

NLovis

ARGH that AA One World 777 keps advoiding me. Its DC-9 all over again :x

Excellent captures Eric.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

Great stuff, guys. All of you. I need to get me some of those 31R deps.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    31R RARELY gets used for departures. Its their smallest runway so its mostly used for arrivals. If anybosy needed to abort takeoff for any reason chances are really high your running off the runway onto the JFK expressway. Most planes take up 3/4 of the runway for takeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    31R RARELY gets used for departures. Its their smallest runway so its mostly used for arrivals. If anybosy needed to abort takeoff for any reason chances are really high your running off the runway onto the JFK expressway. Most planes take up 3/4 of the runway for takeoff.
    SIGH! Okay...I'm a gonna try to be nice here...if an aircraft has a problem, and he is that close to rotation speed, it's going to take off. EVERY airliner today was made to be able to take off with one engine out. IF they are going to abort, the decision is made well before rotation speed, it's called V1. V1 is the speed at which you make your go/no-go decision.

Lets just say V1 is 120 kts, and rotation speed is 140 kts. If you are barreling down the runway and you have an issue at 115 kts, you can safely abort and stop on the runway. If you have a problem at 122 kts, you continue, rotate, declare your emergency, and prepare to land.

31R is rarely used for departures because of the other options available...and besides 31R is 10000 feet long. 4R/22L is the shortest runway at JFK at 8400 feet.

Expect 31R to be used much more frequently when 31L closes for repairs. JFK can run simultaneous departures from 22R and 31R.

To add to John's post, you generally wont see an aboard above 80 knots either unless it is a Master Warning (Fire etc etc) or a tire goes. A few weeks ago a Freedom 145 aborted right at V1 with a blown tire that tore a segment of the flap out and put numerous holes in the fuse and severing multiple hyd. lines. This was at CRW. This one managed to stop though a good 400 before the EMAS.

In the Embraer and a few other aircraft types when you are in takeoff configuration and go above a particular N1 setting the airplane systems automaticly silence the Amber cautions untill weight is off the wheels. Smart move to avoid a high speed aobard for somthing that can be resolved once you establish a climb.

For 31R/13L departures they will probably use a low abort speed anyway. I would have to look but I am pretty sure 31R departures are going to have some good sized weight restrictions particularly when temps start capping into the mid and high 70's F.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

[quote=Iberia A340-600]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":1a1qejtp
    Expect 31R to be used much more frequently when 31L closes for repairs. JFK can run simultaneous departures from 22R and 31R.[/quote:1a1qejtp]
    Yea thats known. But when the winds shift for the season change i'm expecting 13L. Yea though I heard there going to slot off departures when they close bayside. I highly doubt that but we need to see whats going to happen now. And to the rest of you ok I get it.

Where are you when you get these excellent pictures??