Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Expands Its International Presence at JFK

American Expands Its International Presence at JFK

San Jose, Costa Rica, Manchester, U.K, and Madrid, Spain.

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2854

Re: American Expands Its International Presence at JFK

Previously discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16994

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    Previously discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16994
    AA is a bit late on their press releases I'd say....

Probably trying to force Air Europa out.

That makes a total of 6x NYC-MAD on most days, including an A346, seems like a bit much, plus 3x to BCN.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

American likes to do that. It is why they win. They flood a market with capacity till the other party throws their hands up and than draws down so they can control the fares again.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

The word around at T7 is that Ibera has been planning on stopping all flights to JFK. It might be thats finally happening and AA is taking over the routes. Though thats going to cut my hours alot now. DAM IT IBERIA STOP SCRWING WITH ME. :x

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis
    The word around at T7 is that Ibera has been planning on stopping all flights to JFK. It might be thats finally happening and AA is taking over the routes. Though thats going to cut my hours alot now. DAM IT IBERIA STOP SCRWING WITH ME. :x
    New York is one of Iberia's most lucrative markets, I highly doubt that a route that operates 14 weekly A340 flights with a very successful payload would be replaced by a 7 weekly 757 flight. Although with the proposed ATI agreement between Royal Jordanian, American, British, Iberia, and Finnair I suppose anything could be possible.

The New York - Madrid does very well in the summer, with Continental adding a second daily flight and in the past Delta upgrading the flight to the 777. I imagine this additional American flight is just to add to the capacity on the route for OneWorld.

NLovis

Could be but that was a rumor I heard at T7 a week 1/2 ago. They did cut the 6251/6250 on certain days so right now its 1 flight a day or 2 a day. its more like 9-12 flights a week currently.

I highly doubt Iberia would cut service all together to JFK. Like Gordon said, this is one of the most profitable routes for Iberia and really any international carrier from Europe serving JFK. It is considered the flagship route for most Euro carriers. Just like London and Paris are flagship to most US carriers. Cities like London, Paris, Madrid, Frankfurt and to a lesser extent Rome are some of the busiest routes in the world. It is for a reason. Iberia won't be leaving NY.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

NLovis

Ok. Thouhg I do think Iberia needs to do a much better job with their fleet. Their planes cant start under their own power even if the APU is up and running. They dont take care of their a/c. Highly suggest you dont fly with them.

Ok. Thouhg I do think Iberia needs to do a much better job with their fleet. Their planes cant start under their own power even if the APU is up and running. They dont take care of their a/c. Highly suggest you dont fly with them.
    I recall you speaking of one incident when that occurred but honestly how often does that actually happen? Iberia does a pretty good job of maintaining their aircraft. Whenever you fly in or out of Madrid you will constantly see aircraft being taken care of in their two maintenance facilities. As for flying with them, they certainly do not offer a top notch on-board or ground product, unless you're flying in business, however not many of the Spanish airlines do. I'm flying Air Europa for the first time with their long-haul product this coming March, who also happens to have terrible ground staff, but at least the on-board product is much better on their A330's.

NLovis

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    I recall you speaking of one incident when that occurred but honestly how often does that actually happen? Iberia does a pretty good job of maintaining their aircraft. Whenever you fly in or out of Madrid you will constantly see aircraft being taken care of in their two maintenance facilities. As for flying with them, they certainly do not offer a top notch on-board or ground product, unless you're flying in business, however not many of the Spanish airlines do. I'm flying Air Europa for the first time with their long-haul product this coming March, who also happens to have terrible ground staff, but at least the on-board product is much better on their A330's.
    Yea that time but since we have airstart's and GPU's at the gate whenever Iberia comes in. GPU always attached and airstart on standby. Its happened an additional 2 times (that I know of and probably could be more). The APU was working and they couldnt start unless they used the airstart. Your probably seeing them being worked on so they can fly. The 340-300's r 15 years old and the -600's are about 8. They probably breaky really quickly.

Your probably seeing them being worked on so they can fly. The 340-300's r 15 years old and the -600's are about 8. They probably breaky really quickly.
    Right, being maintained like other airlines do. Iberia has a top notch maintenance facility in Madrid, which is used by many other airlines. With the exception of EC-INO, IOB, and IQR most of the A340-600 fleet is at most four/five years old.

I think that APU problems would hardly quantify a carrier as having poor MX practices. I am not sure about quad jets but an APU is a no go item for a twin jet flying ETOPS. APU's use alot of fuel on the ground and the carrier probably has prefrences like most others not to use the APU except on the shortest of turns. Like I said, I have no A340 background but I do have a great deal of background with the A320, 737 Classic and Ejet family.

I got to admit that aside from talking about Iberia and American Airlines..that JFK has a wide varierty of airlines serving the airport.
    JETTING IS WAY MORE THAN JUST FREE PEANUTS! JETTING IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE!