Thread: Flying Delta and ASA

Flying Delta and ASA

I pretty much fly strictly JetBlue and USAirways generally speaking with the occasional excursion to Southwest when I am in a jam. I was orig. Flying Southwest to El Paso in March but decided that I would rather fly from JFK so I booked Delta. Last time I flew Delta was the day JetBlue had their meltdown at JFK a few years ago from MCO-JFK. How is their JFK terminal to navigate? How are ASA CRJ900's to ride as a pax on (I'm doing the ATL-ELP segment on one) and do they charge to check a bag? (I know I am being lazy) I am the best man in a wedding (Yikes! I know I know) so I am going to have to check a bag with some stuff. Thanks for your help guys.

March 4th, JFK-ATL(757) ATL-ELP(CR9)

My return will probably be on Delta as well but I am not booking it till after I am in ELP. I have a trip to Jamaica the following week so no real need to be back in NY till last minute. Hahahaha
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: Flying Delta and ASA

Delta charges to check bags. EVERY Airline charges to check bags except SWA.

$25 dollars for the first bag, $35 dollars for the 2nd bag.

2 dollars off if you pre-pay online www.delta.com

You will need to gate check any carry on bag for the CR9 segment. I enjoyed the CR9, flew it STL-MSP and it wasn't bad at all.

SWA is free to check bags, you just MAY be spending more via bag fees on DL even though the airfare was cheaper on Delta.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Yeah, after I posted this I looked at Delta's site and the email from them and saw the 25 dollar fee. I would have been flying Southwest on this trip but I just want to use JFK. I never pay for bags on US or JetBlue but that is another story. ;) I fly free on Southwest as a result of that flight attendant bet we made years ago anyway but oh well. I'll bit the bullet and pay the bag fee. How is the leg room on the CRJ900 at Delta Connection ASA? The only 900's I have ever flown on were Mesa USX birds and I hated every second of it every single time. I am 6 feet tall so I need my room.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

EVERY Airline charges to check bags except SWA.
    WRONG. Every airline charges to check a SECOND bag except SWA. JetBlue does NOT charge to check one bag.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan
    WRONG. Every airline charges to check a SECOND bag except SWA. JetBlue does NOT charge to check one bag.
    Read my quote I said BAGS with an S implying more than one. This includes B6. I worded it specifically to include B6.

If it was every airline charges to check A BAG, then I would give exception to B6 as well.

This is not the case.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan
    Read my quote I said BAGS with an S implying more than one. This includes B6. I worded it specifically to include B6.

If it was every airline charges to check A BAG, then I would give exception to B6 as well.

This is not the case.

Alex
    That was not the best way to imply that. Besides, If you check two bags with B6, you still only pay for the second, not the first.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Okay okay. let's leave the LCC battle down at the ticket counter in FLL and MCO.

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Okay okay. let's leave the LCC battle down at the ticket counter in FLL and MCO.
    I'm good now. DL/EV isn't really that bad overall. Just avoid the CR2s. Those are my pet peeve RJs.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Playing a little Devils Advocate here, what's to prevent someone from circumnavigating bag fees by not claiming a suitcase or bag when checking-in either online or at a kiosk- and then being forced to gate check the bag? From what I've seen, if the ticket agent makes you gate check the bag they don't charge you - they just give you a claim ticket, and then you get your bag back on the jetway at the end of the flight...

Granted, this would most likely apply more so to the traveler that has a little more stuff than a traditional carry-on suitcase would allow, but not enough to fill a huge suitcase or multiple ones....

Well thought out but that only works if the bag is of proper size and has contents that are acceptable for access past the check point. Normally I never check a bag unless I am going international in which case I travel a bit heavier than normal. Considering I am out there for a wedding I am traveling slightly heavier than usual though. In addition to clothes and shoes etc I am bringing my golf clubs which I normally keep in NY so I can play a round with my friends the day before the wedding and than the day after the wedding sans the groom. We were going to hire strippers dressed like Catholic School girls to caddy us the day before the wedding but his wife to be found out that plan and shot it down. :evil:

Normally the bulk of my flying is between houses in NY and Florida so I don't have to check bags or clubs but this trip I will be. Oh well.