3 12.00%
  • ATP

3 12.00%
  • "I always wanted to fly but...."

3 12.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilots, Check in!

Re: Pilots, Check in!

Private, but not current by any means. Been about a year since I've logged anything official. Plenty of backseat stick time in various stuff, though. :)

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28
    Private, but not current by any means. Been about a year since I've logged anything official. Plenty of backseat stick time in various stuff, though. :)
    These are the saddest stories for us. What keeps you from going up? We're working on finding cost effective solutions for people like you to get you all back into flying again. Be on the look out for group flights and free events!

A flight instructor of mine once told me: The difference between Heroin and Flying? You can get off of heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47
    ATP DC3,CV240/340/440,Boeing 727,CE560XL/XLS,been flying since I was 16,14,500 hours by the grace of God,and Pratt Whitney, 8000hrs in the DC3,I love that airplane with a passion, still fly the C47 at airshows. Born under the Canarsie Approach,JFK will always be my field of dreams,though truth be told some of my most sublime moments aloft have been experienced behind the stick of the Aeronca Champ flying off of a grass strip,greeting the new day aloft,NORDO,just a whiskey compass,and a sectional to steer by. The journey continues,and i truly think my best flying is still yet to come.
    Have any tips or tricks for aspiring pilots? Any good habits you've acquired that makes flying more enjoyable for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nassau Flyers
    These are the saddest stories for us. What keeps you from going up? We're working on finding cost effective solutions for people like you to get you all back into flying again. Be on the look out for group flights and free events!
    Lack of currency, for the most part. Got my rating while I was still in high school. Then I graduated, need rent money, to pay utility bills, food, etc... Being a grown-up sucks. :lol:

These are the saddest stories for us. What keeps you from going up?
    I've developed this fondness for living indoors and having actual food to eat. An extended stretch of unemployment didn't make it any easier. It was so much easier when someone was paying me to fly.

I've had a few fam flights in smaller aircraft but nothing serious. If I could use my GI Bill for flight school we'd be in luck. I think Farmingdale would allow it. But thats a 4 year program for professional pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47
    ATP DC3,CV240/340/440,Boeing 727,CE560XL/XLS,been flying since I was 16,14,500 hours by the grace of God,and Pratt Whitney, 8000hrs in the DC3,I love that airplane with a passion, still fly the C47 at airshows. Born under the Canarsie Approach,JFK will always be my field of dreams,though truth be told some of my most sublime moments aloft have been experienced behind the stick of the Aeronca Champ flying off of a grass strip,greeting the new day aloft,NORDO,just a whiskey compass,and a sectional to steer by. The journey continues,and i truly think my best flying is still yet to come.
    Have any tips or tricks for aspiring pilots? Any good habits you've acquired that makes flying more enjoyable for you?
    Just follow that passion, everyones path is different,dont listen to the naysayers,just follow your inner compass,and realize its all good,80 knots in the Aeronca ,1000 feet over Sandy Hook,the DC-3 at 3am, aloft and alive over a sleeping planet, flying the pivot turn on the Canarsie Approach in the 727 ,everything hanging in the breeze,your old neighborhood beneath your wings,and those JT8ds spooled ,and smoking,fl450 in that high thin oh so clear blue in the wee XLS, the point is that it is ALL good,and you only live once ,so why not pursue this dream,this passion,make it real,whether your path takes you to an Aeronca Champ,or left seat in the 747-800,the main thing is to fly!!! You have to take the chance,you have to make the leap of faith,in yourself,in your dream. Trust in God,yourself,your dream,and go for it. It is so worth it.end of rave.I'm just a Ny/Nj boyo,who has lived this fever dream with all its ups and downs for a couple of decades now,and would change nothing,i hope this helps.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I definitely fall into the "I've always wanted to fly but..." category. All I have is my FAA dispatch license, but I'm eager to take to the skies one day, as I'm sure many of you others are who haven't yet.
    I'm in the same category as you, but being " a few" years older I feel sure the only flying I'll do is as a psgr.

I was taking lessons over 34 years ago, but meet my wife & made the decision to marry thus I just never was able to afford to continue. By the way 34 + years later no regrets on that part.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

I've been chasing the dream since I was 9. I'm all flown out though. The future of aviation with epalauttes is so dim my xenon's can't even light the way unfortuneately. Now I am persuing a career to become an MD. When I finish that I figure I'll go be one of those stereotypical Dr's who takes their A36 or P210 to convention's and MVY. No furthur than that though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Just follow that passion, everyones path is different,dont listen to the naysayers,just follow your inner compass,and realize its all good,80 knots in the Aeronca ,1000 feet over Sandy Hook,the DC-3 at 3am, aloft and alive over a sleeping planet, flying the pivot turn on the Canarsie Approach in the 727 ,everything hanging in the breeze,your old neighborhood beneath your wings,and those JT8ds spooled ,and smoking,fl450 in that high thin oh so clear blue in the wee XLS, the point is that it is ALL good,and you only live once ,so why not pursue this dream,this passion,make it real,whether your path takes you to an Aeronca Champ,or left seat in the 747-800,the main thing is to fly!!! You have to take the chance,you have to make the leap of faith,in yourself,in your dream. Trust in God,yourself,your dream,and go for it. It is so worth it.end of rave.I'm just a Ny/Nj boyo,who has lived this fever dream with all its ups and downs for a couple of decades now,and would change nothing,i hope this helps.

Amen to that brother. Great piece!

Quote Originally Posted by coachrowsey
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I definitely fall into the "I've always wanted to fly but..." category. All I have is my FAA dispatch license, but I'm eager to take to the skies one day, as I'm sure many of you others are who haven't yet.
    I'm in the same category as you, but being " a few" years older I feel sure the only flying I'll do is as a psgr.

I was taking lessons over 34 years ago, but meet my wife & made the decision to marry thus I just never was able to afford to continue. By the way 34 + years later no regrets on that part.

The average student pilot in the USA is around 45yrs old. We have some 60+ year old students who finally came around to understanding that you are never to old to live out a dream. I'd encourage you to come to one of our Pilot Club Meetings (www.flynfi.com/rsvp) or better yet come in for a chat and a first flight challange even if it's just to get you back into the cockpit one more time before you give it all up entirely. If you have a special occasion coming up, a First Flight Challenge would be a perfect gift to yourself, just so you get that one last chance to decide whether or not this is something you are willing to miss out on. Although I'd love to see you come fly with us, there are plenty of schools at almost every airport on LI who offer First Flight Challenges.

oh and by the way, 34+ years married? WOOHOO! I love hearing good news like that!

Private Pilot - SEL here.

I learned to fly in 2000 at KAPA in Colorado. Unfortunately, I haven't flown in a couple of years due to a lack of time and money whilst starting a business.