Thread: Questions About Antigua And India (Manipal)

Questions About Antigua And India (Manipal)

I am applying to medical school's right now, some of them are overseas and some of them are domestic. My intrest is more in studying medicine overseas for a broader perspective on medicine though. One of the particular schools in which I am very intrested in is located in Antigua. AUA (Antigua University Of America). Antigua is one of the few Carribean islands I have yet to visit. I am primaraly looking for perspective on experince of the island, the economy, crime rates, accesability of home comforts and luxaries afforded by dealing in US currency. Today in my pre interview seminar for that school I did speak with several students of the program but I might consider living in private housing after the first two mandetory semesters living on school housing.

As far as forign schools go again, I am also looking at a school located in India. The Kasturba Medical College which is the # Med. School in all of india with a count of like 230 schools in total. It is located in a very off the beaten path town called Manipal. I doubt any on this board have experince of this particular town but I do know memebers travel to India on this board and are also from India. With that in mind I am looking for possible insight on what an American like me could expect, how much culture shock is there? What kind of creature comforts can be afforded with a bit of money or how much money would it take to create a level of comfort similar to what I might be used to living in the USA at current. Talking to students online that are from the USA currently in that program I am hearing that because of the currency value diffrences that with even smaller amounts of extra cash laying around alot of students in the program there hire private cooks. That to me sounds pretty intresting.

Thanks for insights... If my questions are not totally clear and you might have insight feel free to ask here or PM me.

:borat:
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: Questions About Antigua And India (Manipal)

First of all let me be the first to wish you good luck in this new field hiss srq, but I do have one question. I have never considered pursuing this proffession so perhaps my very limited knowledge is not correct. But I could have sworn to attend Medical School you first had to go to regular peoples everyday "College", and earn a degree, possibly even a pre med one at that? Just curious do these schools you are considering allow you to skip all that?

Again. best of luck hiss !

LGA777

Re: Questions About Antigua And India (Manipal)

These particular schools offer a program in which you can enter pre med with them and upon completion of pre med you are able to go right into their MD program. It is a 6 year process in which you spend approx 3 years and 4 months going to school out of the USA and than the remainder of the 6 year program is clinical's etc. That is the course in which I am persuing with the s upport of my family. There are about 4 schools in addition to these within the USA that offer a similar program but upon talking to many in the profession including my own Dr.'s and relatives who have MD's I have decided that these two schools in particular are the best options for me to go with in order to obtain what I want and not be shunned by certain hospital systems when I start my residency.

Initally I was going to return to college and finish up my BS and become a PA because at 23 I was not sure if I wanted to wait untill I was 30 or slightly later to get into practice. Than, a friend who will be starting AUA in September right into the MD program with their undergrad from SUNY reccomended these programs because she knew I was also intrested in the MD programs at schools but the time frame was less than appealing. I did a bit of research, made some calls, networked with some people and met with the head of AUA's admissions yesterday in Manhatten at the Marriot. After the enrollment seminar I sat down and talked for a good hour with the lady in charge and she told me to submit my application this week.

When I complete my BS/MD I will also get my MBA as well because AUA has a agreement with Plymoth University that allows MD students to attain an MBA with them while in the process of clinical rotations.

I am really excited about this and cannot wait to go. I am about 90% that I am going to go to the school in Antigua above and beyond all the other programs I have looked into and started applying to.

If you are intrested in checking out the school and what it offers for yourself the website is http://www.auamed.org
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"