Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunderbirds at Coney island.

Thunderbirds at Coney island.

Hello -just by way of introducing myself- my name is Ken and I live on Long Island. I have a question...I recently read that the Thunderbirds will be performing at Coney Island this year in late August. I was curious- for those shows what airport do they fly out of? Thanks
    Ken :borat:

Re: Thunderbirds at Coney island.

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn
    Hello -just by way of introducing myself- my name is Ken and I live on Long Island. I have a question...I recently read that the Thunderbirds will be performing at Coney Island this year in late August. I was curious- for those shows what airport do they fly out of? Thanks
    Ken :borat:

Hey Ken, welcome to NYCA!

You're asking a good question, one that's been debated on here & ASB.TV for the past 2 months since they announced the Coney Island Show.

In the past, they've flown out of Republic in Farmingdale but they're in Atlantic City on Wed of that week for the AC Airshow. Some speculate that they're going to fly up from there, others (like me) think they're going to go out of Republic again.

Keep an eye on the NYCA Board and as soon as it's announced, it'll be posted here.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Republic would be sweet :borat: - every year my daughter and I go see the Blue angels or Thunderbirds (depending upon the year) there every year - She loves to go by the 56th fighter group restaurant to see the planes close up (she is 5 - I am warping her early).. thanks

.ken

Good for you KEN!

I hung with my son at the airport when he was 11 months old one year. He loved watching the planes take off & land and the louder, the better! A very cool thing about the Jones Beach show is that it's simulcast on the radio so you can hang in your car near the tower, listening to the narration and see the acts come and go.

I hope they do the same type of thing for Coney Island. That would be very cool!
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70
    In the past, they've flown out of Republic in Farmingdale but they're in Atlantic City on Wed of that week for the AC Airshow.
    Do they even have the gas to launch out of AC and come all the way up to NYC do a full airshow and then recover back at AC?

[quote=USAF Pilot 07]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Big Tim #70":kqkqmn30
    In the past, they've flown out of Republic in Farmingdale but they're in Atlantic City on Wed of that week for the AC Airshow.
    Do they even have the gas to launch out of AC and come all the way up to NYC do a full airshow and then recover back at AC?[/quote:kqkqmn30]
    I wouldn't think so, unless they only perform for 3 minutes. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

[quote=USAF Pilot 07]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Big Tim #70":2sy4t693
    Do they even have the gas to launch out of AC and come all the way up to NYC do a full airshow and then recover back at AC?[/quote:2sy4t693]

Not a chance in hell. The model Viper that the birds use might as well be an early model Hornet fuel wise. My bet is we see a JFK appearnce honestly. It makes the most sense and they have the real estate to house them. However, with 31L/13R getting ko'd JFK is already going to be at critical mass even with alot of traditionally JFK b6 ops transitioning up to BOS to cover the loss in capcity at JFK.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

They asked to base out of EWR but were denied. I'll see what I can find out this week

Welcome Ken!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Any chance they could use FBF?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The Thunderbirds need 7,000 feet within 25 nm of a show site if the show site's runway is less than 7,000 feet or is a staged show. A runway of 10,000 feet or more is required within 50 nm of the show site...

Don't quote me on the numbers, since I think I'm a bit off on both...

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Any chance they could use FBF?
    While that would be way cool, no, no chance. For starters, the longest runway is only about 5,000 feet long, which is a non-starter. Add to that the lack of fire/rescue equipment, fuel availability, other support services...well, you get the idea.

I suspect they will park at either JFK or FRG. FRG is a familiar place for them, and they did use JFK on Memorial Day weekend several years ago. Talking with one of their maintainers at FRG last year, he said with the new Block 52 birds they have, if they use the 2-seater for an off-airport show (like Jones Beach) they need to fly the performance with an external fuel tank - the back seat means a smaller internal fuel tank, and they can get tight on fuel without the external tank when they have to travel to/from the show site.

Where did they park them at JFK back then?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger
    The Thunderbirds need 7,000 feet within 25 nm of a show site if the show site's runway is less than 7,000 feet or is a staged show. A runway of 10,000 feet or more is required within 50 nm of the show site...

Don't quote me on the numbers, since I think I'm a bit off on both...
    you're pretty close on the runway requirements, i'm not sure about the distances to the show center bit those sounds reasonable. i know the thunderchickens can't use the runway at SNS because it's only 6,700 feet long.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

As we used to say, RTFM...

2010 Thunderbirds Support Manual
    a. Runways 10,000’ or longer do not require an arresting cable on site.
    b. If your runway is between 7,000’-9,999’ in length, we require a barrier on site, unless there is either 1) a 10,000’ or longer runway within 80 NM of the airfield, or 2) a runway with arresting gear within 80 NM of the airfield.
    c. If your runway is less than 7,000', we always require arresting gear on site, and the Thunderbirds will obtain a waiver from the Air Combat Command Commander to land at the site.
    FRG Rwy 14/32 is 6,827' so they always install an arresting cable on it for airshow weekend.