Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbirds at Coney island.

Re: Thunderbirds at Coney island.

isnt it a bit too late to cancel? I mean everything was set and booked. The website makes no mention of this .. hopefully this is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn
    Any reasons for the cancellation?

Ken
    Ted didn't give any specific reasons, and only said their there was more
    to this story than people will ever know, but also added that he thought
    the show would happen at Coney Island someday !!

This unfortunate news was also confirmed by the ACC, and I see they've already
    taken Coney Island off their official list for the A-10 East Demo team and
    I'm sure the Tbirds will be updating the schedule on their website soon also.

BTW, Here's the link for latest official ACC schedule updated on July 27th:
    http://www.acc.af.mil/aerialevents/demoteamschedule.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S
    Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn
    Any reasons for the cancellation?

Ken
    Ted didn't give any specific reasons, and only said their there was more
    to this story than people will ever know, but also added that he thought
    the show would happen at Coney Island someday !!

This unfortunate news was also confirmed by the ACC, and I see they've already
    taken Coney Island off their official list for the A-10 East Demo team and
    I'm sure the Tbirds will be updating the schedule on their website soon also.

BTW, Here's the link for latest official ACC schedule updated on July 27th:
    http://www.acc.af.mil/aerialevents/demoteamschedule.asp

I really think the public deserves to know what happened. Was it lack of sponsors, politics, or what? This is really not a good situation.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Even though the show is canceled I have some good news from the AAM's website

Flight of Aces is Spitin’ history September 4th through the 6th

This award winning Labor Day weekend program is sponsored by Stop & Shop Supermarkets and remains a powerful tribute to those who have defended our nation. With visiting World War II aircraft from Warbirds over Long Island and a legendary Spitfire from the Duffy Collection visiting the region for the first time, this will truly be a Fighter flight line for the history books as the American Airpower Museum pays tribute to the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

I honestly believe that JFK and LGA didn't want this show to happen, especially considering the headaches both airports would have to deal with in regards to the airshow TFR and routing aircraft around it...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger
    I honestly believe that JFK and LGA didn't want this show to happen, especially considering the headaches both airports would have to deal with in regards to the airshow TFR and routing aircraft around it...
    Why not just move it 20 miles east to Jones beach and call it a day? I am sure the parks would love the additional revenue, as well as already knowing what to expect!

I have to think something else, other then airport concerns were the reason this was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55
    Why not just move it 20 miles east to Jones beach and call it a day? I am sure the parks would love the additional revenue, as well as already knowing what to expect!

I have to think something else, other then airport concerns were the reason this was killed.
    Dude...let it go. We all love airshows here, and are all disappointed, but they do not owe us anything. They made the announcement, it's well in advance of the show dates, so anyone who may have booked a hotel, airline, or car reservations can cancel them without penalty. Does it suck, yes, do they owe us anything more? No.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604

Dude...let it go. We all love airshows here, and are all disappointed, but they do not owe us anything. They made the announcement, it's well in advance of the show dates, so anyone who may have booked a hotel, airline, or car reservations can cancel them without penalty. Does it suck, yes, do they owe us anything more? No.
    I didnt say they OWE us anything, but an explanation would be nice. Also, I am sure the T-Birds and ACC planes would rather be else where performing, rather then doing nothing this weekend now.

To get a commitment from the T-Birds takes a lot of work, so all I am really saying is that something major must have happened, and I would like to know what it is. Thats all.

wow, that sucks!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    wow, that sucks!
    Uh YES!!!!!!
    Does that mean the whole "Air Force Week" in NYC is cancelled? It was scheduled for Aug 24-29th.

I didnt say they OWE us anything, but an explanation would be nice. Also, I am sure the T-Birds and ACC planes would rather be else where performing, rather then doing nothing this weekend now.

To get a commitment from the T-Birds takes a lot of work, so all I am really saying is that something major must have happened, and I would like to know what it is. Thats all.

The writing has been on the wall for months. Chris has been trying to get info about the show since April (if not earlier) and nothing was available, ever.

I don't know how many shows you've been to, but you can't just "move it 20 miles to the east & call it a day", especially in the busiest airspace in the world.

Maybe it will happen someday but the Logistics at Coney Island, especially with the Belt parkway construction are horrible. The chances of successfully pulling it off are very slim. It would have been very cool for those of us who venture to FRG to see t xhe aircraft launch & recover but I'm just not sure how the actual show at the beach would have been.

If you're looking to hit up a show that week, you can take the drive to Westfield & see the T-Birds on 8/21 & 8/22, Take the ride to Atlantic City & see one of the best, if not the best shows in the country on 8/25, or take the ride up to Portsmouth on 8/28 & 8/29 to see the Blues with another amazing supporting lineup. Hell, the travel time to Atlantic City will probably be the same as trying to navigate the Belt into and out of Coney Island anyway.

It's still going to be an AMAZING Airshow week!
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Hell, the travel time to Atlantic City will probably be the same as trying to navigate the Belt into and out of Coney Island anyway.
    Very true and probably a big reason why the show was cancelled.

NYC beaches do not charge admission, and are normally packed. Combine that with all the people that would try and come down for the airshow and it would be a traffic nightmare affecting Coney Island, the Belt Parkway and the Verrazano Bridge. What did Jones Beach draw on Sunday 200,000 roughly (I forget the exact #)

Then factor in air space problems & restrictions with Kennedy and LaGuardia and I am sure Newark to some degree, added security from the NYPD and all the overtime they would have to pay, plus the parks department and sanitation. I am sure the City said no to spending the $$ since it would not generate any real income for the City.

Atlantic City is always a great show, take the ride if you are off.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065
    Hell, the travel time to Atlantic City will probably be the same as trying to navigate the Belt into and out of Coney Island anyway.
    Very true and probably a big reason why the show was cancelled.

NYC beaches do not charge admission, and are normally packed. Combine that with all the people that would try and come down for the airshow and it would be a traffic nightmare affecting Coney Island, the Belt Parkway and the Verrazano Bridge. What did Jones Beach draw on Sunday 200,000 roughly (I forget the exact #)
    Then factor in air space problems & restrictions with Kennedy and LaGuardia and I am sure Newark to some degree, added security from the NYPD and all the overtime they would have to pay, plus the parks department and sanitation. I am sure the City said no to spending the $$ since it would not generate any real income for the City.
    All good points. I was there yesterday for a Cyclones game and it was a beautiful day and traffic was bad. And the beach isnt as big as Jones is so the squeeze in factor would be in effect.
    Also you have lots of tall apt buildings close to the beach. The noise generated by the high performance aircraft would
    surely shake, rattle and roll the residents.

Then why not look to have it at Jones Beach to start with?

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Because they always had a show in May and it would be near impossible to get a 2nd set of sponsors for this show.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)