Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbirds at Coney island.

Re: Thunderbirds at Coney island.

Plans are set for the airshow performers. Airshow is on and there will be F/18's A-10's and Harriers as well as a C-17 at Farmingdale.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    Plans are set for the airshow performers. Airshow is on and there will be F/18's A-10's and Harriers as well as a C-17 at Farmingdale.
    Nice and its on the Thunderbirds website.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale

Hello Fred, are these planes confirmed to be at Republic? If so, I may forgo both Pease and Coney Island as the only thing Coney Island has going for it that I haven't seen yet is the Harriers and if I can see them at home(2 blocks away) it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with Coney Island for such a short show or the expense of Pease for a lesser show than Westfied the week prior. I went to RI last month and will be seeing the Thunderbirds again at Westfield in a few weeks. Again just my 2 cents.
    Joe

PS. You take some phenomenal pictures!

Also, speaking of Farmingdale, something large and silver took off this afternoon. I apologize for my lame description, I honestly don't know what kind of plane that it was. I was in my garage working on something and heard a very loud prop sound taking off, went out to see it, unfortunately the camera was inside so a picture wasn't a thought. The plane had four engines and a double tail I believe. Just in case anybody cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Also, speaking of Farmingdale, something large and silver took off this afternoon. I apologize for my lame description, I honestly don't know what kind of plane that it was. I was in my garage working on something and heard a very loud prop sound taking off, went out to see it, unfortunately the camera was inside so a picture wasn't a thought. The plane had four engines and a double tail I believe. Just in case anybody cares.
    If it was a silver airplane with two props and a twin tail, it could have been the museum's B-25:

Don't know of any four engine props that were at FRG - your description almost sounds like a B-24, but I think word would have gone out if a B-24 was at FRG (And I was at the airport Wednesday night, and there sure wasn't one on the field then...)

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Don't know of any four engine props that were at FRG - your description almost sounds like a B-24, but I think word would have gone out if a B-24 was at FRG (And I was at the airport Wednesday night, and there sure wasn't one on the field then...)
    Thanks Moose,
    That looks like the plane, however, I could have sworn that I saw 4 engines, I am probably wrong though. Depending upon what the planes do after take off, the standard flight path is about 4 houses north of mine this one was even further north so I saw the plane on a sideview angle instead of almost overhead. The Gieco skytypers almost always fly directly overhead before making a wide turn to the South.

Kenny and I were at the 56th having a very nice lunch at around 2pm-2:30 Ken and I hear some BIG ROUND MOTORS an I hear Ken say "THATS THE B-24". Miss Hap departed and Ken beat me to the punch. Seconds later Ken Calls out when we hear another cool round motor... "SKYTYPER is airbore".

2 out of 2 Ken! Great time and thank you for lunch! :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Did I read correctly- the Harriers will be at Republic??

Ken

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Kenny and I were at the 56th having a very nice lunch at around 2pm-2:30 Ken and I hear some BIG ROUND MOTORS an I hear Ken say "THATS THE B-24". Miss Hap departed and Ken beat me to the punch. Seconds later Ken Calls out when we hear another cool round motor... "SKYTYPER is airbore".

2 out of 2 Ken! Great time and thank you for lunch! :borat:
    Haha, it was my pleasure.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn
    Did I read correctly- the Harriers will be at Republic??

Ken
    Umm... if you go back up to to my previous post I think I said...

As I always say, during airshow... the best plans will change and all times will be wrong, but they know what will need fuel, where aircraft will be parked, and who will be on the ramp at midnight taking pictures....the rest is...well, Up in the air!"

All aircraft will be by Shelt Air except the C-17, that will be by the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    Ken, The pleasure was all mine! :) Did you Aunt get her car back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    Ken, The pleasure was all mine! :) Did you Aunt get her car back yet?

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Did you Aunt get her car back yet?
    Yup, she got it back with a Nycaviation stickers intact :borat: :borat:
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

FYI - I received some BAD news today from Ted Plana, the Director of the Coney Island Air Show.
    Unfortunately he confirmed that the show has been CANCELED for Aug. 28th & 29th. :cry:
    It's too bad because I know Dusty was looking forward to bringing the A-10 back "home" again
    to Republic Airport for the show, and I was also looking forward to seeing the Harrier, Hornet
    and C-17 based out of FRG that weekend also.

Any reasons for the cancellation?

Ken